MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #41
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Agreed, these guys are telling me what they already know, what I want to learn on my own
People aren't talking about minor issues. A lot of the concerns posted are about people ending up in the hospital and bike parts listed on C/L. I can't imagine why anyone would want to learn that sort of thing the hard way.

And the weight lifting analogy is garbage. You want to get involved with the most seasoned track riders you can find. They have learned costly and painful lessons that if you have more than two IQ points to rub together will be extremely valuable to a new track rider. I'm relatively new to the track experience as well. To this point I have met plenty of salty dogs in the pits and not a single one was intimidating or unfriendly. Every single one of them is helpful to a fault. They will help guide the ignorant away from painful choices and provide a cornucopia of valuable information about your bike, your gear, and possibly your riding.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I go and buy a large turkey pot pie to feed 10-12 people? PimpRice Off Topic 11 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
2000 people at TEA party protest in Washington? hotcknstrips Off Topic 7 07-06-2009 01:43 AM
people still fall for this? this is soooooooooo 2000 Azylum Off Topic 11 03-26-2008 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #42
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Suspension is everything..... Specially at the track, i cant imagine anybody doing track days without setting up their suspension first..... It's a safety issue imo!

The first thing i do whenever i get a new bike is to adjust the suspension, the handling changes dramatically and the bike feels a lot better than with stock settings!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #43
omer
SMR

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
While we're at it pick up some sponsorships from Winetopia, Hooters, Twin Peaks, James Coney Island, Starbucks, the Deck, Creekmores, BWW, and all the other places we invade for food and chill time.

I'd just hate to see 9 people shaking their head because someone has to be that single person that crashed the bike and it costs $$$$$$$$$ to fix it one time.
this
Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
People aren't talking about minor issues. A lot of the concerns posted are about people ending up in the hospital ..... I can't imagine why anyone would want to learn that sort of thing the hard way...And the weight lifting analogy is garbage.... if you have more than two IQ points to rub together will be extremely valuable to a new track rider...To this point I have met plenty of salty dogs in the pits and not a single one was intimidating or unfriendly...
I appreciate your input and everyone elses, I guess I have the idea of track riding all wrong. I didn't know you had to go to the wall first day, I also didn't know you had to do everything to your bike the first ride out.

Geez thats an aweful lot, now that I see it from you guys and how when you goto the track you already have that petrfect bike all done up, the perfect gear to go with it, and there are so many willing to come over and help you out. Just seems like no fun! I thought it was about learning, comradery, and getting better as time goes by, along with your bike getting better as time goes by, shew!!!! You guys saved me a big headache, thank you!!!

So as stated before, lets end this thread, seeing I'm to IMO for it anyhow. I'd hate to get another track riders panties into a bunch hahaha .
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #45
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
I'd just hate to see 9 people shaking their head because someone has to be that single person that crashed the bike and it costs $$$$$$$$$ to fix it one time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer View Post
this
and I wanted to bring the wrecked bike to you for every fix, geez it sux to have money and no place to spend it !
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #46
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

When you go to the shooting range, you want to make sure the scope on your rifle is calibrated correctly before shooting, it doesnt matter if you are a pro sharp shooter or a beginner, if you do not calibrate it correctly you will be off target and wasting a lot of bullets and time trying to figure out how to get your shots on target.... Same deal with bikes, if you dont set up your suspension you will be wondering the whole time why the guy in front of you keep going into and coming out of the corner faster than you and you are on a much better bike than him..... If you havent set up your suspension yet i would suggest taking it to Patrick, it would be the best $20 you will ever spend on your bike!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #47
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
When you go to the shooting range, you want to make sure the scope on your rifle is calibrated correctly before shooting, it doesnt matter if you are a pro sharp shooter or a beginner, if you do not calibrate it correctly you will be off target and wasting a lot of bullets and time trying to figure out how to get your shots on target.... Same deal with bikes, if you dont set up your suspension you will be wondering the whole time why the guy in front of you keep going into and coming out of the corner faster than you and you are on a much better bike than him..... If you havent set up your suspension yet i would suggest taking it to Patrick, it would be the best $20 you will ever spend on your bike!
If it's your first few trackdays it will have nothing to do with suspension
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #48
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
I appreciate your input and everyone elses, I guess I have the idea of track riding all wrong. I didn't know you had to go to the wall first day, I also didn't know you had to do everything to your bike the first ride out.

Geez thats an aweful lot, now that I see it from you guys and how when you goto the track you already have that petrfect bike all done up, the perfect gear to go with it, and there are so many willing to come over and help you out. Just seems like no fun! I thought it was about learning, comradery, and getting better as time goes by, along with your bike getting better as time goes by, shew!!!! You guys saved me a big headache, thank you!!!

So as stated before, lets end this thread, seeing I'm to IMO for it anyhow. I'd hate to get another track riders panties into a bunch hahaha .
You're welcome. Now go be dumb somewhere else.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #49
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:

Isn't the whole point of this thread to become a track rider?
Now you're literally laughing at the person you want to become.
Awesome. Now you'll DEFINITELY get people to ride your bike for 2 grand.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #50
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

track bikes!

cheap one
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184685

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=185608

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=182538

i like this one
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=185493
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #51
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:

you mad?
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #52
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
The way I see it, this is Colonel's thread, if you don't like the "dumb" ideas he has, it should be YOU that goes elsewhere.
Not everybody goes to the track with the idea they have to go faster, faster, faster.
Some people go to the track because they want to improve their skills and learn more about performance riding in a controlled environment. If a person has the skills to push their bike VERY hard, then having the suspension correctly calibrated and adjusted will make a big difference.
For most ordinary mortals, the factory suspension will take them a long ways before they need to worry about just the right springs or perfect adjustment. Only a few will have the skills to outride a modern bike, so why not let the man take to the track without the superior, "I have been to the track and I know best" attitude?
And calling him dumb, right after you tell him how helpful everyone at the track is kinda sends a mixed message doesn't it?
I suppoese if he doesn't immediately think you are absolutely right then he is "dumb".
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #53
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Buy my 06 cbr1000rr for $4k, split it with a like minded friend....
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #54
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
The way I see it, this is Colonel's thread, if you don't like the "dumb" ideas he has, it should be YOU that goes elsewhere.
Not everybody goes to the track with the idea they have to go faster, faster, faster.
Some people go to the track because they want to improve their skills and learn more about performance riding in a controlled environment. If a person has the skills to push their bike VERY hard, then having the suspension correctly calibrated and adjusted will make a big difference.
For most ordinary mortals, the factory suspension will take them a long ways before they need to worry about just the right springs or perfect adjustment. Only a few will have the skills to outride a modern bike, so why not let the man take to the track without the superior, "I have been to the track and I know best" attitude?
And calling him dumb, right after you tell him how helpful everyone at the track is kinda sends a mixed message doesn't it?
I suppoese if he doesn't immediately think you are absolutely right then he is "dumb".
my thoughts exactly
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #55
beastlyzx12r

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2005 zx12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Buy my 06 cbr1000rr for $4k, split it with a like minded friend....
I want this bike pm me when u ready

Hey big blue wanna go half...
beastlyzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #56
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Worst Idea ever.. and I only read the first post.. Done with this thread

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #57
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Nope. It's the flippant rejection of the basic advice that makes him dumb.

I'm not talking about being so fast that the OEM suspension just can't keep up with your awesomeness. I'm talking about basic safety. Some people, especially the heavier guys, are already outside the bounds of what the stock springs can compensate for no matter how much adjustment is made. Other guys, like myself (depending on bike), are too light. At that point the bike will do very unnerving things at NOVICE level track paces. My CBR introduced me to the concrete very early on for not following this simple advice that other riders gave me. The bike was flaky in turns (this never showed up in a single day of street riding btw) and I didn't get any confidence in myself or it - end result - smash on my second TD. Except I did it to a $6k bike that only I own and not a brand new liter bike with a hefty price tag that 9 other people are now crying about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKR1 View Post
my thoughts exactly
Thinking...hey it's not for everyone.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #58
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Suspension is not that critical for your first couple of track days in the novice class. Usually in the first session you stay behind the instructor and it's a "slow" pace. During the second session you usually don't even pass other riders. The pace gradually picks up as the day goes on. It's very rare that anyone even comes close to the bike's limits in their first novice track day.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #59
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

How about the new zx10 instead of the bwm you might have more people wanting to sign up
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #60
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Suspension is not that critical for your first couple of track days in the novice class. Usually in the first session you stay behind the instructor and it's a "slow" pace. During the second session you usually don't even pass other riders. The pace gradually picks up as the day goes on. It's very rare that anyone even comes close to the bike's limits in their first novice track day.
You're right....for one trackday. However, that's also assuming that the rider is in the range between somewhat lighter and somewhat heavier than what the bike was sprung for. If you take an Aaron, and put him on a stone stock '04 gsxr 600 (sprung for a 160 lb rider), he can EASILY bottom that bike out on a first trackday if he picks up the pace at all. Conversily, you take a Kib, and put him on a '08 CBR 600 (sprung for a 200 lb rider) and he could EASILY wash the front because the front suspension doesn't compress at all.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement