MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
It's a first timers thread for noobs to the track that want to have fun. I picked 10 so that all costs are low (damage, parts, etc). With 10 we have enough money left over to buy several sets of tires. It comes with track tires like mine. Not to mention anything else.

To change the preload is so easy on the s1000rr, so weights don't matter.

I'm a team oriented kinda guy, I don't have issues with the little things. The idea about sponsorships was also part of the deal, that's how we keep ourselves going.

Top riders can enter into races that we can support and get some recognition

Just sounded fun.
Sponsorships? You plan on running AMA? The local places already support their favorite CMRA racers and the big companies, you'll be lucky to get contingencies only if you're winning in the expert classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
First time noobs to the track and you want to put them on an s1000rr??
Like it's fast or something...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I go and buy a large turkey pot pie to feed 10-12 people? PimpRice Off Topic 11 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
2000 people at TEA party protest in Washington? hotcknstrips Off Topic 7 07-06-2009 01:43 AM
people still fall for this? this is soooooooooo 2000 Azylum Off Topic 11 03-26-2008 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Stock spring rates do not work for every rider no matter the level of adjustment. Trust me on that one. And who does all that adjusting? Costs $30 every time a tech at the track does it. The 150lb guy is not using the same springs as the 260lb guy.

Tires...so the faster guy burns up a set of tires in two TDs, but the slower guy can last a season...good luck working that out. Especially if the faster guy wants slicks, but the slower guy wants a race/street tire for longevity. People don't progress at the same rate so staying all on the same tires is unlikely.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Why not get 5 people to put in $1500, and get a nice used litre?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Colonel
Big Blu

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
I'm a first timer to the track, you ever ridden with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
neat idea in theory and i like your enthusiasm about it.
but in execution it just doesn't seem practical.

like kibby said. Tires & suspension (which does take time if you want it right) is a big deal. sharing of track time, on going cost of maintenance, how is that maintenance cost tracked and divvied out? who's garage has custody at any given time? do you trust these guys/gals? what do you do when it is wrecked?

and lastly....20 sweaty !
lol, yes, I agree, but I'm talking about 9 guys like me, (have $2000 lying around, experienced rider wanting more, likes team environment, etc). I figure with 60 track days a year thats 2 riders per day, getting all of us on the track, having fun, working on a bike and if we have several same weights, its not that hard to deal with.

But with as much opposition, I can see this isn't going very far lol. No positive feedback is going to come of this due to all the negative.

My motocross team was 4 riders and a crew of 12 and we never had any issues. Although a much different circumstance, I thought having 10 would make things feasible in cost.

I can shell out $5,000 with 4 others, but I don't feel new riders to the track like myself would shell that out.

No worries, I see this is a lost cause lol. Next thread
Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Better be ten people all within a very close weight range too.

Who all like the same tires.

And don't ride the same org.
+11111

It would be pretty hard to set up a good suspension that would work for 10 riders......

Just a thought, instead of each spending 2k for one bike, how about throw in another grand and all ten of you can get a used track bike on their own, chances are the used track bikes will be more than enough for doing track days.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
I completely agree with you

A 600cc will be plenty for noobs anywhere and it handles way better than the literbikes!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Yea, or you could just rent a bike and not have to worry about prep or transportation at all
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:

But with as much opposition, I can see this isn't going very far lol. No positive feedback is going to come of this due to all the negative.
it's not about negativity man..youre not getting flamed or anything. its just that people here have some experience on the matter and are giving some insight. remember its MH. you're not always gonna get rainbows and blo-pops with hugs here.

valid points are being brought up.

-B
Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #29
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
it's not about negativity man..youre not getting flamed or anything. its just that people here have some experience on the matter and are giving some insight. remember its MH. you're not always gonna get rainbows and blo-pops with hugs here.

-B
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Just think about the fun factor....... it's a lot more fun to have all 10 of you at the track "riding" rather than having all 9 of them watch you go around the track......
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:

-B
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone is flaming me, I was just looking for 9 like minded people. I agree with everyone of you except Im not like you guys who have all those issues.

If you have issues with this thought process then you're not a candidate. I'm looking for guys/gals who want to learn the track with others in the same boat.

I hate people who think its not possible, my job is sponsorships, how does someone say it's not possible when I get millions of dollars raised each year, how does someone say not a liter bike as if to say there are no liter bike riders who have never been to the track, how does anyone say that no one would do it, when I'd be willing.

Not to mention I stated it's a lost thread due to the people who would do this are skeptical of track riders in the first place (like myself).

Ever goto the gym and try to lift weights for the first time? Do you pick a time when all the hard hitters are there or when no ones there as to not kill your ego/motivation.

This thread is kinda like working out for the first time with body builders lol!
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone is flaming me, I was just looking for 9 like minded people. I agree with everyone of you except Im not like you guys who have all those issues.

If you have issues with this thought process then you're not a candidate. I'm looking for guys/gals who want to learn the track with others in the same boat.

I hate people who think its not possible, my job is sponsorships, how does someone say it's not possible when I get millions of dollars raised each year, how does someone say not a liter bike as if to say there are no liter bike riders who have never been to the track, how does anyone say that no one would do it, when I'd be willing.

Not to mention I stated it's a lost thread due to the people who would do this are skeptical of track riders in the first place (like myself).

Ever goto the gym and try to lift weights for the first time? Do you pick a time when all the hard hitters are there or when no ones there as to not kill your ego/motivation.

This thread is kinda like working out for the first time with body builders lol!
It looks like you're looking for track noobs. Might be hard to find track noobs willing to make that kind of commitment
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Like it's fast or something...
Lol

Cool idea! yeah there would be some hicups, but sounds like fun. If I didn't have so much going on right now I would be down.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:

I think it is a great idea however you are looking at this from the wrong angle. You started this thread to ask for people's honest opinion on this matter so this is what they gave you.... their honest opinion based on their experience.

Nobody said it was not possible, instead most people including myself suggested that it was not recommendable for many reasons such as suspension set up, tire choice, seat time, etc.

On the other hand something that is possible to do doesn't mean that it is a great idea in reality..... and that is why you have what you called negativity wich in fact it is just other people's take on this topic, i dont think anyone is against you on a personal level, just the idea of sharing a track bike with 10 others doesnt make a lot of sense, which is by no means saying it is impossible.

As far as the literbike comments, i can honestly say from my own experience that it is just too much for any noob rider street or track.... i have ridden with many people that have literbikes but only a few can really ride them well, all go pretty fast on the straights but as soon as they see a turn they get on the brakes! If you are worried about looking good at the track then you cannot go wrong with the fastest literbike money can buy, but if you really want to learn something at a comfortable pace then a 600cc would be my weapon of choice

Last edited by sunday_rider; 06-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #35
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:

I'm a track-rider, and I'm still figuring out why I should pay ANY money to share a bike with other riders that I could only lose investment on. What do I get out it that I couldn't if I spent another 900 bucks and buy my own dedicated trackbike?

If that's the case shouldn't I be PAID for my investment?

Why wouldn't you get these supposed sponsors to pay for the bike?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

You're not making a lot of sense. Idealism is wonderful, but you need to recognize it as such.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #37
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Keep working on it Colonel. A lot of the folks commenting are coming from a viewpoint of racing/trackday experience. Noobs don't need to worry about suspension setup or just the right tires, as much as, they need to worry about learning to ride the track.
I'm not saying they are wrong I just think they have a different POV.
I will say, I think 10 is too many to be easily workable. The suggestions of cheaper bike and fewer people have merit.
A lot of details would have to be worked out as well...
As stated, who pays for damage in case of a wreck?
Who does the maintenance? and buys the oil, filter, chain and tires?
Ensuring everybody gets equal access would be hard. 3 want to go but 7 have other plans, 2 of the ones that want to go didn't help with maintenance last week and one is kind of a jerk that most of the others don't like.
What do you do?
But I like the idea, keep working on it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #38
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

I, for one, like the idea.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Keep working on it Colonel. A lot of the folks commenting are coming from a viewpoint of racing/trackday experience. Noobs don't need to worry about suspension setup or just the right tires, as much as, they need to worry about learning to ride the track.
Thats what I was thinking, we have no clue on suspension, tires, etc for track so it would be awesome to learn, over the next 2-3 years.

Quote:
Agreed, these guys are telling me what they already know, what I want to learn on my own

Quote:
I will say, I think 10 is too many to be easily workable. The suggestions of cheaper bike and fewer people have merit.
Agreed, but it sure would be nice to start out right (S1000rr) and seeing I have the money, I figured there might be a few others who might too lol

Quote:
Ensuring everybody gets equal access would be hard. 3 want to go but 7 have other plans, 2 of the ones that want to go didn't help with maintenance last week and one is kind of a jerk that most of the others don't like.
That's what I figured the excess cash would do and if we had a kitty, each month we would put some dough in it for maintenance. Also was hoping to get some small sponsors who want to have fun with us.

Quote:
What do you do?
I am the director of hospitality suites for country music live remotes, in essence I make sure the stars are happy

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
The FIRST thing noobs need to worry about is suspension setup. That $30 track side setup will easily make the difference between a nice learning experience for your first day and a ride back to the pits on the crash truck. Combine that with a rider weight that can be outside the manufacturers OEM spring rates and you're talking new springs before the bike EVER sees the track. 2-3 years as Colonel states? I've seen guys ready for intermediate after 1 day and others stay in novice for months. So now you not only have to have the bike set properly for one rider, but changed for ten different riders to be safe and enjoyable to ride.

My personal experience: an '07 CBR600RR sprung from the factory to accommodate a 200lb rider. Even with the stock springs adjusted to the maximum by the end of my first day the bike was dangerous for me to ride. It would literally try and slam into the ground when I leaned it over at speed. $200 later for a respring to match my weight and the bike handles like it's on rails.

Quote:
What do you do?
The easy answer to this is that someone will get screwed. Most likely the titled owner of the bike. People bail in and out of this hobby at an alarming rate. It's expensive and the first thing to be dropped when finances get tight.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement