MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Super Motard

Been kicking around the idea of getting a super motard to drive back and fourth from work and to play around on and practice backing it in so I dan start doing it on the race bike. What's a good one to get that has plenty of power? I like to do wheelies as well. DRZ400SM?
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We need a SUPER MOTARD section!! BYRDMAN Forum Updates & Feedback 17 07-03-2011 10:35 AM
++ super moto and Motard PEOPLE ++ Sabatech General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 02-20-2010 08:42 AM
Super Motard maybe for sale? XRCajun General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 04-16-2009 04:04 PM
super motard stuff 04RSVR General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 10-22-2006 09:23 PM
Super Motard jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-11-2006 09:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I had a WR250X, Tony, I loved the bike but, I hated the power delivery. The bike topped out somewhere around 90 MPH.

Look for the Aprilia 550, that is the motard I would get.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
Been kicking around the idea of getting a super motard to drive back and fourth from work and to play around on and practice backing it in so I dan start doing it on the race bike. What's a good one to get that has plenty of power? I like to do wheelies as well. DRZ400SM?
Tony ur welcome to test ride my DRZ whenever but it's lacking in the HP department. It's the best tard or commuting because of service intervals and reliability but at the cost of HP. Maybe a KTM 690SMC or husky 510. The SXV Irak is referring to is the Tard of Tards!!! But comes at a price of piston rings replacements as a maintenance interval :eek:

Maybe a well sorted DRZ with and FCR and big bore will suite ur needs

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Tony, I have a 625SMC and its perfect for the job IMO. Power wheelies in 2nd, clutch ups in 3rd. Tops out at 115, but who wants to go that fast on a ferkin dirt bike with big brakes and sticky tyres? It is perfect for urban assault and track days.

The 400SM is slower, but still delivers the same grin factor. I'm sure the Suzuki boys will chime in.

The Aprilia is a beast, but has a bad reputation for reliability.

Do some stalking on supermotojunkie.com. You can find anything you need on that site.

I'll be at GSS this weekend if you want to check it out. I would have let you have a go, but then I remembered your yard sale a few months ago

Oh, and if you work out the backing it in thing............please share
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Bike(s):
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I had a WR250X, Tony, I loved the bike but, I hated the power delivery. The bike topped out somewhere around 90 MPH.

Look for the Aprilia 550, that is the motard I would get.
Yeah, I know 250 will deffinately be less than I want and the aprilia is more than what I want to spend because more than likely I'll be dropping it quite a bit trying to learn to back it in... Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Tony ur welcome to test ride my DRZ whenever but it's lacking in the HP department. It's the best tard or commuting because of service intervals and reliability but at the cost of HP. Maybe a KTM 690SMC or husky 510. The SXV Irak is referring to is the Tard of Tards!!! But comes at a price of piston rings replacements as a maintenance interval :eek:

Maybe a well sorted DRZ with and FCR and big bore will suite ur needs
It doesn't have to have a ton of power, if it's any where near my crf450r was it would be perfect, that thing wheelied in almost every gear. Not really concerned with a fast top speed I think 90mph would be plenty fast for what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Tony, I have a 625SMC and its perfect for the job IMO. Power wheelies in 2nd, clutch ups in 3rd. Tops out at 115, but who wants to go that fast on a ferkin dirt bike with big brakes and sticky tyres? It is perfect for urban assault and track days.

The 400SM is slower, but still delivers the same grin factor. I'm sure the Suzuki boys will chime in.

The Aprilia is a beast, but has a bad reputation for reliability.

Do some stalking on supermotojunkie.com. You can find anything you need on that site.

I'll be at GSS this weekend if you want to check it out. I would have let you have a go, but then I remembered your yard sale a few months ago

Oh, and if you work out the backing it in thing............please share
Thanks for the site, I'll check it out... And as far as the yard sale, that's my first ever wreck on the track and I've done over 30+ trackdays... Haha. But I never ride anyone's bike because you never know when your going to crash or someone else takes you out.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
superduke
Dont be That Guy.

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
00 XR400R
Black 08 Speed Triple (sold)
05 R1 (sold)
05 R6 (sold
85 VF1000R (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to superduke
Is it common for people to convert dual sport bikes for instance a XR650 into a super moto bike?
superduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

the 400sm won't have the same power as the 450. stock my 400 seemed to lack quite a bit. Opening the airbox (3x3 mod) did a lot. Later, I installed the FCR and also felt the improvement....but it still isn't as snappy as a 450 (at least with my current gearing that will bring me to around 100). I think if I installed a gearing ratio like a motocross bike, and top at 75...the bike would get me in another world of a lot more trouble.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduke View Post
Is it common for people to convert dual sport bikes for instance a XR650 into a super moto bike?
Not rare, but maybe not all that common either.

The DRZ is a the Swiss Army knife of tards. It does everything. Not well, but well enough.

A bit piggish stock, it responds nicely to mods, takes a beating like a trailer park wife and just never stops. Not the ultimate hooligan bike, but if you want reliability (kinda important for commuting) it's hard to do better, and next to impossible if cost is figured in. I commute on mine - does just fine.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Here here! As an ex Drz owner... All of the above is true. I was lucky enough to find a modded Drz400E model which is lighter, better cam, 10+ HP over the S or SM models,(10 HP on a 300# bike makes a huge difference), and most years came w/ the fcr carb. Waaaaayyyyy more grunt than your standard drz400sm. If you can, find a E model that has been legalized or legalize it yourself. Pop on some SM wheels of your choice & you have a ' commuter/ hooligan bike.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.

Last edited by PimpDaub; 06-01-2011 at 12:56 PM.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Also, I want to add a kickstart to my DRZ...not sure why you can't have both electric start and kick...but you can't.

My only things that I would do differently is not put on this yoshi can and change out my seat cover on my gel seat....the can is too loud and the seat is too slippery.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
If your plan is to commute on it, I think that excludes the SXV 550 from your list. , I think it excludes any "r" based tard (CRF450R, etc) as their rebuild intervals are just too short.

For what you want to do, a modified DRZ might be just what the doctor ordered.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

You can put a kickstarter on an electric start Drz ... But not the other way around.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
You can put a kickstarter on an electric start Drz ... But not the other way around.
Yep. Search Thumpertalk and I think there was a couple threads about doing it.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

As has already been offered by Wiayemen with his, you can try out my KTM450SMR at GSS. It is street legal.

A LC4 motored KTM is a good choice as mentioned, but the 450's are fun as all get out and a little lighter.

A Honda XR650L (or an R) converted are great choices as well.

The DRZ is good all around as mentioned. Stay away from Aprilia 550's and 450's except for track usage. gas range and your hands feel like they have been holding a paint shaker running at full speed if being used at "street" speeds.

Grab one of Mekrew's and make it legal, it's not that hard to do.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Bike(s):
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

So I'm guessing this isn't a factory DRZ400SM...?

Thanks for all the info fellas... Tojo, thanks for the offer for riding your motard, but My luck I would probly crash it... haha
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
Yep. Search Thumpertalk and I think there was a couple threads about doing it.
you lose electric start in the process....but i'd much rather have a kicker when the battery won't turn the motor over any more. adding the kickstart costs just over the price of a new battery...so I may eventually do it if I set the drz up for woods also.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Actually, it very well could be, just a good rider.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Houston Terrell

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

stock

Quote:

Thanks for all the info fellas... Tojo, thanks for the offer for riding your motard, but My luck I would probly crash it... haha
Odds are its pretty stock since he still has factory brake line. Drz is a BLAST man. Sure its heavy and slow compaired to some of the more powerful tards, however you can still haul on one and keep up with the bigger tards for street/hooliganism use. They wheelie,slide,endo just fine!
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
Houston Terrell

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Terrell View Post
Odds are its pretty stock since he still has factory brake line. Drz is a BLAST man. Sure its heavy and slow compaired to some of the more powerful tards, however you can still haul on one and keep up with the bigger tards for street/hooliganism use. They wheelie,slide,endo just fine!
Edit "the haul part was relative to motards"
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

I have both the CRF250 and 450x motards. Both street legal and licensed with Baja kits. I learned how to ride on the 250 and just stepped up to the 450. Both have their place, no question the 450 has way more power.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement