Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #61
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Guess some of us just age a little quicker than others Floyd....
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have noticed drivers getting more and more aggressive against sport bike riders. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 06-06-2011 10:26 AM
Another reason to hate Dallas and their sport bike riders. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-06-2010 10:20 PM
There are some really idiotic sport bike riders out there! Reventon General Discussion (Moto Related) 115 01-27-2010 01:21 PM
For Racers, Track Riders, Street Riders, Cruisers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-21-2009 09:20 PM
Sport Riders Vs Cruisers Mr.Butts General Discussion (Moto Related) 63 02-20-2008 07:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #62
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Cruiser sitting position just doesn't work for me. Sitting straight up or leaning back kills my lower back in 30 minutes or less.

I still enjoy the backroads too much anyhow.. cruisers handle like , have questionable brakes, and most have smallish tanks that limit the range...

To each their own tho!
I have the exact same problem with my back and cruisers, although I manage to put up with it when riding a V Max.
For more comfort for trips I'm looking into sport touring bikes and adventure bikes. I was also very pleased with the FZ8 I rode over the weekend. I was surprised that the headlight assembly seemed to block enough wind to make it comfy.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #63
KeeBee
Old man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
The transition from sport bike to Cruiser was easy. Got sick of getting pulled over for random BS. 8 times in 2010 did it for me. Twice I was actually speeding the other times no clue what the cops problem was. Funny every time I take my helmet off they see I am not a young guy.

I have had my Harley since the end of Feb. There have been a couple of time where I blasted by a cop only to have him pull up along side of me to motion me to slow down. Had I been on my sport bike it would have been a ticket. It is nice to get waves and thumbs up from cops instead of getting pulled over for random BS. Also like the fact my wife rides with me now. Before she would not go near my old bike.

I do miss my sport bike at times but have no regrets selling it for a cruiser. Who knows I may end up getting a track bike at some point.

Make sure you test ride a few bikes before you buy a cruiser. Also the resale of import cruisers is horrible. June 18 Mancuso Crossroads Harley is having a demo day you can ride a bunch of different models.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #64
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
June 18 Mancuso Crossroads Harley is having a demo day you can ride a bunch of different models.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #65
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I think having both worlds will be a good set for me... I would be kicking at the track and chilling back on the streets! (well thats my plan for now..)

KeeBee: I'm with you about the BS with cops pulling you over... but at the end is all our fault for speeding or just been on a sport bike but specially speeding....

We all know what people think about a sport bike, two words that comes to mind when people see you on a sport bike and specially cops... (reckles and fast)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #66
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
I think having both worlds will be a good set for me... I would be kicking at the track and chilling back on the streets! (well thats my plan for now..)
you doing GSS this weekend?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #67
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post

KeeBee: I'm with you about the BS with cops pulling you over... but at the end is all our fault for speeding or just been on a sport bike but specially speeding....

We all know what people think about a sport bike, two words that comes to mind when people see you on a sport bike and specially cops... (reckles and fast)
Sad thing is I only live 14 miles from work and in that small distance some how I have been pulled over by the same cop 4 out of those 8 times. Twice he stopped me to check to see if I had an M endorsement. Once he said I was doing 85 in a 60. Was doing 70ish did not admit to speeding went to court and beat it. He was not able to provide the required documentation I was doing 85. Which I wasn't he knew it. Can't remember his other reason for stopping me. Got stopped a couple of times on Beltway 8 saying I was riding in the toll lanes with no toll tag. Popped my seat and showed them my toll tag.

Just got to be a hassle. Only hassle to deal with now is drivers texting , talking on the phone while trying to run me over.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #68
ochiwon
likes tire walls

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (sold)
2005 Ninja 500 (sold)
Honda 954RR streetfighter!!

theres a guy that lives at my apartment with that exact bike... he used to ride sportbikes too. he might be interested in selling.. not sure, dont remember. but i can pm you his number if you want, gotta ask him first though of course. lemme know if your interested
ochiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #69
ochiwon
likes tire walls

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (sold)
2005 Ninja 500 (sold)
Honda 954RR streetfighter!!

ochiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #70
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I will let you know Chris. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #71
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

I still have the sport bike and have yet to ride it since the purchase of a harley. I kept it insured just in case. Its not that I don't want to ride it, problem is I can't be a grown up and obey the speed limits. The harley is comfy and slower so it keeps me in check while still having fun. Not as much I admit. Other cruiser riders still hardly wave. With that said I only throw my peace sign to sport bike riders
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #72
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Cause your a Douche^^^^ lol

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #73
Blatallic

If you plan going to a cruiser from a crotch rocket. I wouldn't get anything smaller then a 1100. I have a Vstar 1100 and I have to say that I love it. It does have all the bells and whistle(pipes, intake, etc). Turning on it isn't as fun as it was on my speed triple. The guy i bought it from dropped it 2 inches so I have to take my time. But overall, I enjoy it and it's comfortable. Also, i get less attention from cops. Which is a plus.
Blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #74
quicksaveme

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Sold my R1 after a year, and bought a brand new V-Rod.

Hated it. Sold the V-rod in less than 6 months. Got an R6. Loved it.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #75
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

anything on 2 wheels are fun imo...... i used to ride vespas back in Taiwan where they prohibited larger displacement bikes and it was a blast, of course traffic in Taipei is 10 times as bad as here in Houston so lots of people opt for scooters for their daily commute! In the end, get whatever you think will make you happy, i am pretty sure i will be getting a cruiser 15 years from now or whenever my back cant stand the ergonomics of a sport bike anymore lol
Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #76
atlas_drums

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak

I started on a sport bike, and now I'm on a cruiser. There is a big difference, but in Houston, it's a little less pronounced. I say that because when I was on the CBR, I lived in the northeast and had some nice twisty mountain roads to tackle. I recently went to denver and while there, rented a harley and rode up into the mountains. Mountain riding was a very different experience on a cruiser. The cruiser is much more comfortable for long rides, and much more forgiving of the cracked roads and potholes, but it was just slower, and my pegs kept scraping on the switchbacks! The thing didn't want to turn. I wished that I had a sportbike on that ride. In Houston, where most roads are straight with maybe some sweepers, I enjoy my cruiser.
atlas_drums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #77
quicksaveme

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

, on my V-rod I would scrape the pegs turning into my neighborhood or anywhere else... no fun :(
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #78
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Funny you originally posted this about a week ago as I was starting to go through the same thing.

My first ever motorcycle was an '07 Vulcan 900 Custom. I had it for about 9 months and put 1300 miles on it. I love, love, love my CBR 1k, but sometimes it would be nice to have a cruiser. Regarding someone mentioning the brakes, the one plus of cruiser brakes is if you grab them too hard, you won't go flying over the front like you would on a SS.

Even with no other riding experience, the 900cc Vulcan left a bit to be desired. I wouldn't go lower than 1300cc. I would consider the Honda VTX 1800 and the Yamaha Raider as my top choices....as well as a Kawi Mean Streak, though it's so hard to find used ones. Let us know what you decide.
typehxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #79
Blatallic

VTX 1800 would be nice.
Blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement