MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #41
bigjay77

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
01 yzf-r6 painters tape edition, 98 superhawk 996

Send a message via Yahoo to bigjay77
you guys should know that aluminum is a stress fatigue-ing material, which means that if u have a 10k psi piece and apply 2k psi to it, over time it will fatigue and still break at 2k, so all the hard riding, whoolies, endos, and anything that stresses the front (any kind of riding) is going to weaken it, it seems that the big manufacturers went lean on the frame for racing (duh) and not that much for regular riding even though most ppl that buy them arent racers just posers
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 gsxr broke frame slider. dws6339 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-02-2013 06:52 AM
06 gsxr 600 frame and swingarm BuffaloRider13 Stunters Lounge 2 05-18-2011 12:15 AM
frame sliders wanted for a 1992 Gsxr big750 Stunters Lounge 7 04-17-2011 09:01 PM
GSXR Frame Question lilmckee General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-05-2008 09:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #42
bigjay77

Bike(s):

any of the big manufacturers should do F.E.A. tests for thier bikes, after a lil thought i think that these ppl who say thier frame just broke are really mistreating thier bikes, i think there was a story in the paper a while back bout a kid who says his gixxer just broke, suziku was like yeah sure, ppl they have real engineers there bikes just dont break
Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #43
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Sportbike manufacturers know their bikes are going to be ridden hard - wheelied, track day use, race use, stopped hard, etc. Just because a company has engineers doesn't mean they create flawless, everlasting machines. They aren't all created equal. New airplane designs are engineered over and over, checked, doubled checked, flight tested thousands of hours prior to certification, and many new designs hit the market with problems that don't surface until they are in real world service for a while - same with cars, trucks all machinery. All the brands have bikes that are ridden hard. Some have more problems with a particular model, than others. Sometimes a manufacturer hits a home run, sometimes they strike out. I cross brand lines with my purchases. Suzuki may or may not have a design problem with their frame, but to assume the ones that break did so because of prior abuse would be to assume the guys with kawasaki's / yamaha's / honda's / ducati's / etc. have never been wheelied, stoppied, hit high speed bumps, and so on. It is possible for a manufacturer to have a problem.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #44
bigjay77

Bike(s):

your right they are tested extensively but that doesnt change the fact that aluminum stress fatigues. suzuki i think got it right but maybe the application process is tainted, i can only speculate.... my pops "has" welded a few gixxer frames and added bracing to the fork but these were for "stunters" who abuse bikes (and yes i know u can bring a bike down easy but not everyone does that)
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #45
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Aren't all the new sportbike frames are aluminum?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #46
bigjay77

Bike(s):

yeah i know they are aluminum and it is strong enough, its just a personal hate for it, its IMHO :confused2 , i have to get over it when i get my new bike