MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Thumbs up making those pre-ride checks: found a rat

All,

Remembering the video at the MC school: do the pre-ride checks. Last week I gave the bike another go-around. Hmm, right side rear blinker not working. Flicked it with my finger, it works. Ok, off to ride, and remember to check again. Two days ago: it is now the left side rear blinker. Ok, let's look into this: nope, not the bulbs. The finger flicks indicate something loose. Run the wires up to a connector: yup, they wires had been unplugged, but not properly inserted again tight, hence the erratic nature. I got them tight, taped the connections, ran the wiring harness correctly under a plastic loop, and added a bit more tape. Problem fixed and now I know I am safe, but I will check again after my next ride. I have also found a variety of loose screws (besides inside my head), nuts and such inspecting the bike: it pays to scrutinize.
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westside Rat Pack Ride 188ondafreeway Events, Meets and Rides 11 03-20-2011 09:31 PM
Officially found my HALOween costume...better start making scrapp Off Topic 23 10-05-2006 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

With a title like that I figured a rat had made a home in your exhaust system... and you smelled it while riding....

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
With a title like that I figured a rat had made a home in your exhaust system... and you smelled it while riding....
+1

had my hopes up for nothing.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

thread title fail..
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
good lookin out!

a lot of people attribute most motorcycle accidents to "lack of skill" and "excessive speed". while those can be big problems (especially together) i dont think enough people recognize that poor maintenance can be just as much of a culprit.

did the rider not brake early enough? or was there air in the brake lines, with the original DOT4 fluid thats never been changed?

did the rider lean too far in the turn and wipe out? or were the tires too smooth, underinflated, and dry-rotted, and plugged/patched...resulting in tire failure/crash?

did he take the turn too fast? or did the throttle tube/cable go from being "kinda sticky sometimes" to "just plain stuck...wide open...in the turn" did the rider know what cable lube is? did the previous owner?

having good riding habits isnt going to save you if you neglect your bike. like in OP's case....remembering to use your turn signals doesnt count IF THEY DONT WORK! good job on catching it first.

everyone give your bike a pre-ride check, and check out your buddies bike too! let him check yours. you may easily find things the other missed.

Advertisement