MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonezny
wait a minute....I could've sworn there was a 10mph leniancy(sp) when it comes to things like this. I.e. speed limit is 60, you could go up to 70....I swear i heard this from a cop before and it was true...correct me if I'm wrong por favor because I always do this.
In Red's best tone (from that 70's show)

DUMBASS :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is trooper doing?? Chris_5.0 Off Topic 20 02-01-2013 05:01 PM
Super Bikes - Super Flying Scot General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 12-08-2006 08:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #22
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Ok, I just realized I was a d*ck in my last post. I did however presume that most most people who are licensed to drive a vehicle or motorcycle in any given state would know what "speed limit" means....for those who don't...here it is

SPEED LIMIT (n.)
The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #23
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

There is no legal leniency but, most of the time you are safe under 10 mph over. Although, you could argue for the right to flow. I forget the legal jargon for it but it does exist in Texas as it does in many states including CA where the drivers thoroughly use it.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
andrave

Feedback Rating: (0)

yeah
well the thing is that police officers cars have specially calibrated speedos which are accurate to +/- 2 mph...
so since thats as accurate as cop cars get I'm guessing 2 mph you could probably get thrown out, but the thing is that the maximum speed is the maximum speed, the cop has no way of knowing (or no duty to care) WHAT exactly your speedometer was reading. If you have sprockets or tires or just a crappy speedo it doesn't change the fact that your vehicle was traveling over the speed limit. There is no requirement for you to have intent to speed. You were speeding, you are guilty.

Now... a lot of cops won't pull people over soley for speeding if they are only going a few over... but if you do that you are risking it.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #25
dbonezny
BaDD NeWz

Bike(s):
non fo now

Send a message via AIM to dbonezny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
Ok, I just realized I was a d*ck in my last post. I did however presume that most most people who are licensed to drive a vehicle or motorcycle in any given state would know what "speed limit" means....for those who don't...here it is

SPEED LIMIT (n.)
The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.

well...lets see...i've done this for 10yrs.....no tickets....so i'll keep being a dumbass
dbonezny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #26
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
meow lol
Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #27
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonezny
well...lets see...i've done this for 10yrs.....no tickets....so i'll keep being a dumbass

I think you just jinxed yourself .. And California enforces for people to keep up with the speed of the traffic, not us.. And the whole leniency [sp]thing... Depends all on the cop. They can pull you over for going 3 over. Now however that is handled in court is a different story.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #28
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrStar
meow lol

Ahhh remember in the begining of the movie where that kid in the backseat says "CANDYBARS".... BWAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!:laughing6 :laughing6 Gets me every time!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #29
andrave

its probably one of the most quotable movies ever made
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #30
A303

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
ha, yeah thats hilarious! candybars!!!!!
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #31
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Send a message via AIM to Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob
So I'm on my way to the store last night on the ZX6, wearing my usual safety outfit... hunter orange helmet, CE-armored jacket, track boots, etc. and I get on 610 right next to a state trooper. I move over a couple lanes to get out of a dense spot of traffic and he flips on his lights. I saw him and was being careful not to speed so I'm thinking, "this should be good."

I pull over, take off my helmet and pull out my earplugs and he mumbles something unintelligible to me. I make a confused face, say "I'm sorry, could you say that again" and lean closer to him so I can hear him over traffic. He mumbles the same gibberish but in a more irritated, authoritative tone... something about failure to signal and speeding.

I respond with the usual "yes sir," "no sir" bit trying to passify him.

Scenes from Super Troopers immediately start running through my head... "MEOW WHAT IS SO FUNNY???"

Cop: "What do you do for a living."
Me: "I'm in computer security."
Cop: <amused look in his face like I was making this up as I went>
Me: "I work at the ---- Hospital."
Cop: "What's computer security?"
Me: "I prevent people from being able to break into our network."
Cop: <blank stare>
Me: "Computers, I work with computers."

Now he chuckles and seems positive I'm making it up. Then he busts out with, "You been smoking marijuana?!" I try not to laugh as he pulls his best intimidation pose.

Me: "No."
Cop: <getting excited like he's about to trip me up> "Well does anybody else use this bike who might have left behind any THC products? You smell like THC to me."

This is funny of course because I'm frckn 30 years old... I don't do any drugs... I'm pretty sure THC itself doesn't have an odor... AND I've just been truckin' down the freeway at 60+ mph into a 10 mph headwind so I probably don't smell like much other than truck exhaust and road grime... I'm sure these points would be lost with him so I keep them to myself.

The Super Trooper littering monologue starts running through my head: "littering and... littering and... littering and... SMOKIN THE REEFER!!!"

Instead I say: "Uh, NO, but you're welcome to search my bike if you want. <big smile> "

He goes back to his car to run my license. When he comes back he takes a good 20 or 30 seconds combing the ground where I've been standing to make sure I didn't toss my secret stash of weed, heroin or knows what else... I manage not to ask him if he dropped something.

Cop: "You know the speed limit on this road?"
Me: "65?"
Cop: "60."
Me: "Oh. How fast was I going?"
Cop: "64."
Me: "Hmm... yeah the previous owner of this bike put a larger rear sprocket on which throws the speedometer off a little. I know it's off a certain percentage but sometimes its hard to figure out exactly where I'm at."
Cop: <unimpressed look on his face> "What were you shooting for?"
Me: "65."
Cop: "Well you weren't too far off now were ya?"
Me: <blank expression, trying to contain my complete lack of respect for this guy>
Cop: "I'm giving you two warnings today for speeding and failure to signal a lane change. Slow down and be safe."

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise!

Me: "Thanks for the warning."

With all the violent crime, pedophiles, wreckless drunk drivers, etc. you'd think these guys would have something better to do than harrass a motorcyclist for doing 4 over the limit. Our tax dollars hard at work...
you really in network security? like intrusion detection and things of that nature? vulnerability research? :icon_bigg
Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #32
DOA
MH's slowest 600hp Busa

Feedback Rating: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob
With all the violent crime, pedophiles, wreckless drunk drivers, etc. you'd think these guys would have something better to do than harrass a motorcyclist for doing 4 over the limit. Our tax dollars hard at work...
90% of their work involves traffic enforcement, the other would be backup for various agencies that are shorthanded answering other types of calls. They do wonders for taking drunks off the road and keep them from running over our 2 wheeled butts to make sure we get home to our families.

Sorry you had to deal with one that was a little less than personable, but at least your experience didn't end with a BS citation.

-d
DOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #33
BuddyWho?

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

+1 ^ ^ too true. The state troopers have alot of ground to cover since the majority of their territory is mainly highways and the countless vehicles that swarm them. Not meaning to sound oblivious, but in a huge city they may seem like they are quota markers (lol, heck, a state trooper gave me my 70% passing grade when she accompanied me on my driving test), however, in small towns and others who probably don't have a courthouse, a State trooper might be the first person to make it to a crime scene. A welcomed sight to some people when the Sheriffs Dept from the neighboring town happens to be overloaded with calls.

In a way I guess the author of this thread should feel a bit lucky they where not given a ticket, not saying he is on the wrong side of the law, but I suppose from time to time this brand of LEO happens to feel a need to make an example to the other commuters to let them know they are out around and watching. There does seem to be a bombardment of Law enforcement agencies in this town but I suppose that is the vice of living in this huge expanse of traversing metal.
BuddyWho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #34
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

i cant say much bad about state troopers my self, ive been stoped by dps before and never had been treated anything else but proffesional, both in a car and on a bike. its never "where the fug are you going punk" "what the fug are you going so gdamn fast for" like i've gotten from other lawmen.. dps officers are have allways spoken to be like if they were talking to thier boss. i hear their pretty hard core if you em off though state troopers are prob the only kinda cop i have a good deal of respect for, others maybe half as much
"meow slow down son" hahah :icon_bigg
Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #35
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
i cant say much bad about state troopers my self, ive been stoped by dps before and never had been treated anything else but proffesional, both in a car and on a bike. its never "where the fug are you going punk" "what the fug are you going so gdamn fast for" like i've gotten from other lawmen.. dps officers are have allways spoken to be like if they were talking to thier boss. i hear their pretty hard core if you em off though state troopers are prob the only kinda cop i have a good deal of respect for, others maybe half as much
"meow slow down son" hahah :icon_bigg
State troopers are pros. They'll be fair with you, but you'll get what you deserve.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #36
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
State troopers are pros. They'll be fair with you, but you'll get what you deserve.
+1 , i wish all policia were as profesional. troopers have some compassion for their fellow man. i dont think they have quotas n like the city curly tails do?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

my g/f's dad is a recent retiree of the Texas DPS association and her mother works in the DPS office in Pierce, TX (Wharton County)....From the officers that I met at her dads retirement party, they seem like real class acts. Hopefully if I run into them in the surrounding areas of Wharton they'll take it easy on me.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #38
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
my g/f's dad is a recent retiree of the Texas DPS association and her mother works in the DPS office in Pierce, TX (Wharton County)....From the officers that I met at her dads retirement party, they seem like real class acts. Hopefully if I run into them in the surrounding areas of Wharton they'll take it easy on me.
haha no lie, i needa ride with you

Advertisement