MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Victory highball or HD Blackline
HD Blackline 18 45.00%
Victory Highball 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
needaducati

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
14 BMW S1KRR
2011 Harley FXS Blackline -- SOLD
07 - CBR600RR -- SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to needaducati
Victory or HD?? Decision decision

Hi Fellow Riders!!
So I have decieded to venture onto the crusier scene and I would like some honest opinions about the brands mentioned in the tittle....HD or Victory
Basically I have narrowed it down to 2 bike the Victory Highball or the HD Blackline. This are 2 very different bikes and I like em both.
I really like the way the new HD sounds and looks but I am not sure of an HD engine realibility, maintenance.....I have read many comments where its been said that its the same old power plant under a new tank
I like the Victory Highball for it unique styling and it looks very different than anything out there.....but I dont see many victory's on the road neither do I know any victory owners.....the Price on the victory is set very competatively for the power and looks it offers
Basically the price and looks of the victory are just great....but the V-twin just lacks the the raw sound and precense of a HD but it def dosen't help that the highball is priced almost 3grand less than the HD....
So my main question I would like to hear from HD and Victory owners as to what they like/dislike of their bike...also all helpfull comments are wellcome. Basically I will have to make the last call soon Also if folks here would vote too if given the option which moto brand they would choose!!

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!
needaducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boot Decision Alch Gear Talk 0 07-24-2010 03:08 PM
Decision Fatpooh2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 10-23-2009 03:27 PM
exhaust decision greaselightnin General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 07-04-2009 08:38 PM
The FINAL decision CarbonJames The Circus 15 11-04-2008 12:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
R1Rider2009
R1

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage

I owned a Victory Vegas Low and loved the bike itself, but hated owning a cruiser. There is simply nothing exciting to me about riding slow in corners, having worse brakes, less acceleration, ect. I have only test ridden a couple HD's, but the Victory spanks it in every category in my experience. The V-Rod is in a different category though, its much closer if not better in handling and speed compared to the Victory's. I don't ever see myself owning another cruiser, unless its a Goldwing. If I get that old to ride a cruiser, I'll just stop riding. Go get a ST1300 or comparable sport tourer.

Test ride both bikes and buy the one you like the best.
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Between the two from what I have heard from people that have owned them both, the victory wins. Reliability was always mentioned. Good luck in your decision.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
coolhaven

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
goldwing
1500 intruder
gsxr
gs850

These day both are very reliable....But the victory wins the power war as far as crusiers are concerned...v-rod for the hd....parts wise goes to the hd...lots of extras..and you can find hd dealers everywhere......victory is limited.....i`ve ridden both a lot of miles...hd will carry you farther more comfortable...victory will get you there quicker....its a tough choice. just gotta pick what you like.....You`ll like either over time!............happy shopping
coolhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
needaducati

Bike(s):
14 BMW S1KRR
07 - CBR600RR -- SOLD

@Coolhaven
def man it is a tough choice!! the HD is def more confortable and def more HD delearship around....the one thing that irked me was I had to drive 40 miles just to look at one compared to 5 miles for HD.
But the Price def goes to Victory and the sound goes to HD....they are both imp atleast to me!!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Im partial to Victory's......my dad has had three of them, and has about 30k miles on his Vision with no issues. I myself am hoping to pick up a Jackpot here in the next month or two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
gkcontra

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

I gotta say Victory also. You can get the sound you want for a whole lot less than the $3k difference.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
GENE

Bike(s):
09 repsol
02 hd deuce

I never did any comparing, I wanted a Harley so I bought one and I love it, if you want the best power and comfort there are lots of great cruisers from the Japanese makers, but I say find the bike that speaks to you and you won't regret it, good luck on you're decision
GENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
SGT USMC 0311

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

You need to test ride a Ducati Diavell. I saw one at Houston Superbikes this weekend and sat on it. OMG it feels like a -dam snowmobile....it's got to be a ballsy ride!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Between Victory and HD I vote Vicotry, you get a lot more bike for your money. Victory makes a great bike, with a decent selection of after market parts, and I think they look great, handle well and have pretty good pickup for a cruiser. I also like the fact they are American made. Very reliable bikes too, and with the backing of Polaris they are not likely to go away anytime soon.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
needaducati

Bike(s):
14 BMW S1KRR
07 - CBR600RR -- SOLD

@SGT USMC
lol the ducati Diavel is a beast in it self....but I dont like the looks much even tho there is nothing out there on the street that looks anything like the Diavel....but I am pretty set on a cruiser.....
Actually I am a bit surprised at the response Victory has received........
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
Motorcyclist magazine just had a good write up on the highball.
They had positive things to say, but the apehangers are a little too high for their tastes.
IMO, with Harley you'll be paying a premium price for nostalgia and heritage of the brand, not for new technology or high quality craftmanship.
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
needaducati

Bike(s):
14 BMW S1KRR
07 - CBR600RR -- SOLD

^^^ yep I read the article as well and as much as I love the flatback paint scheme and the added power i think its the ape hangers that I am not too convinced on....Also I was able to test ride a blackline and i must say it felt really good I sat on the highball and got a feel for it but was not able to take it out on a ride....So comfort factor is def on the plates....but I must say the highball is def a class above and the bike is def distinctive
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

I wouldn't buy a Victory simply for the fact that your resale is !!
If you're looking to buy a cruiser don't buy something that "sounds like, looks like, and is really just like...something else". Buy the original...that everyone else has (for over 100 years) tried to imitate. Buy HD.

As for reliability...there are a lot more HDs out there to have problems than there are Victorys. So...of course you're going to hear more "problems" with HD. It's a matter of numbers. Any new HD today will be just as reliable as a new Victory. Start modifying them both...and they BOTH have reduced reliability.

Go with HD...and be happy you did, or go with Victory and spend the next X-number of years explaining why you didn't buy a Harley.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfitzny View Post
IMO, with Harley you'll be paying a premium price for nostalgia and heritage of the brand, not for new technology or high quality craftmanship.
This might have been true 8-10 years ago, but today's HDs are very well engineered and have all the modern technology advancements of any competing brand.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

In todays world of cruisers , you can just about pick any bike you like & get quality.
Wether American or Metric , the prcie you willing to pay is the biggest difference to me.
As riders we have a wide array of bikes to choose from now .
Back in the 60"s - 70's , it was a bit different than now then when I first started riding.
Do your research & pick the bike that YOU LIKE , then GET IN THE WIND !
Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH HUBBARD View Post
In todays world of cruisers , you can just about pick any bike you like & get quality.
Very good piont. I didn't even speak to cruisers because the OP only mentioned Vict vs. HD, but you are absolutely correct. IMO...the Yamaha Road Star line-up has some of the nicest cruisers on the market. I've ridden a couple Road Stars and a Ride Smart Warrior. VERY sweet bikes. I'd consider them before I'd consider a Victory.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by needaducati View Post
Hi Fellow Riders!!
So I have decieded to venture onto the crusier scene and I would like some honest opinions about the brands mentioned in the tittle....HD or Victory
Basically I have narrowed it down to 2 bike the Victory Highball or the HD Blackline. This are 2 very different bikes and I like em both.
I really like the way the new HD sounds and looks but I am not sure of an HD engine realibility, maintenance.....I have read many comments where its been said that its the same old power plant under a new tank
I like the Victory Highball for it unique styling and it looks very different than anything out there.....but I dont see many victory's on the road neither do I know any victory owners.....the Price on the victory is set very competatively for the power and looks it offers
Basically the price and looks of the victory are just great....but the V-twin just lacks the the raw sound and precense of a HD but it def dosen't help that the highball is priced almost 3grand less than the HD....
So my main question I would like to hear from HD and Victory owners as to what they like/dislike of their bike...also all helpfull comments are wellcome. Basically I will have to make the last call soon Also if folks here would vote too if given the option which moto brand they would choose!!

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!
Both have their advantages.

If you're looking for reliability to make up your mind for you, forget it. They're both about equal.

If you're looking for resale to make the decision, forget that too. The days of getting sticker price for your 5 year old HD are LONG past.

Comfort? That's purely subjective. Besides, seats and bars always suck from the factory.

Looks? Also subjective.

Technological superiority? Nope - they're both about the same there too.

Between those two, personally I'd go with the Victory for two reasons:
1)The Blackline is a total "parts bin" bike. Its basically a stripped down Softail with some accessories thrown on it - and frankly it looks like a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom.
2) The Vic is cheaper, not just in sticker price but out the door price. Percentage-wise it wont be any worse than the HD come resale time.

Go with the one YOU like best and just ride the snot out of it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Both have their advantages.

If you're looking for reliability to make up your mind for you, forget it. They're both about equal.

If you're looking for resale to make the decision, forget that too. The days of getting sticker price for your 5 year old HD are LONG past.

Comfort? That's purely subjective. Besides, seats and bars always suck from the factory.

Looks? Also subjective.

Technological superiority? Nope - they're both about the same there too.

Between those two, personally I'd go with the Victory for two reasons:
1)The Blackline is a total "parts bin" bike. Its basically a stripped down Softail with some accessories thrown on it - and frankly it looks like a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom.
2) The Vic is cheaper, not just in sticker price but out the door price. Percentage-wise it wont be any worse than the HD come resale time.

Go with the one YOU like best and just ride the snot out of it.

very well put

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
OldGringo

I own two vics, 01 92C model with 60K miles (other than consumables I've only replaced the stator). Also have an 09 Vision Tour Premium with 30K miles which has been flawless with the exception of a leaking fork seal (covered by warranty) after last years Big Bend run. I rode the Vision on a 6 day, 10 state run to Tennessee and the tail of the dragon last week and the old red bike jammed in the twisties as well as ate up the 2800 miles in comfort.
As has been stated previously, you have ride them both and make your own decision.
OldGringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement