MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Hotwheelscamaro

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 00 ZX7 Street Fighter
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Electrical Problems

Hi there, need some help on electrical problems. Did some work on my bike today. It's a 2001 ZX7R. Everything was working fine when started, now, problems that I can't figure out. Here they are, hope you can help. Thanks.

1st Replaced all my turn signal lights so that they would match. Front had flush mount and rear had LED's. Bought 4 new LED's Carbon-Fiber. Installed the front two 1st. Wired up to the wires that they were wired too already. When finished, they all worked properly, but they turn signal indicator did not work. Moved on to the rear signals next. Installed but forgot to check wires. When finished installing the rear, they didn't work. Front ones flashed regardless of left or right. Rear right flashed. They all flashed together. Re-wired rear and still same outcome. Checked repair manual and got all wired properly. Left side uses Green (+) Blk/Ylw (-) and Right side uses Grey (+) Blk/Ylw (-). Once all wires were properly, I checked the signals. The fronts ones flashed together and the rear right flashed all in sequence regardles of left or right. No turn signal indicator either.

Check/tested the turn signal relay. Reads 0 volts. Wires to relay read ok on volts regardless of left or right. Put everything back together and the only difference is instead of the rear right one flashing, it was now the rear left one flashing.

Got frustrated, so put bike back together for the night. One last test now shows all 4 signals flashing regardless of left or right and still no turn signal indicator working.

2nd. When I had the front fairing off, I took out my headlight assembly to get a broken tab out of the housing assembly. Put everything back together. Now only my right bulb is on for low beam and both on for high beam. Before, both sides were on regardless of low or high.

:eh:
Any input would be helpful, thanks again.
PS, sorry for long thread.
Hotwheelscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 636- confusing electrical problems joeylowlife How To's and Q & A's 5 04-19-2014 03:12 PM
electrical problems 2007 gsxr 750 battery dead will713 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-19-2013 08:07 PM
2003 F4i electrical problems? Jaycub Performance and Modifications 8 04-25-2012 03:27 PM
SV650 electrical problems ... help if you can ... logan5 How To's and Q & A's 1 01-24-2011 08:03 PM
HELP, Need ELECTRICAL help Pachuco How To's and Q & A's 6 06-13-2009 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
may the force be with you.

i hate messing with electrical issues. IMO its the one thing that its worth to have done at the shop just to save stress. lol.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

One thing at a time here. Lets start with what seems to be the simplest - the headlight. Assuming the left/right bulbs are identical - try switching them to see of the problem is the bulb or the wiring.

On the blinker issue - you said you put everything back - do you mean stock like it was before you started?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
One thing at a time here. Lets start with what seems to be the simplest - the headlight. Assuming the left/right bulbs are identical - try switching them to see of the problem is the bulb or the wiring.

On the blinker issue - you said you put everything back - do you mean stock like it was before you started?
No, just put the body parts back on. No messing of wires or anything. That's why I can't figure out the change in pattern.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
CBR_Ryder
No more bike...

shoulda baught a honda
CBR_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_Ryder
shoulda baught a honda

HaHa, j/k, couldn't pass up the deal on this bike. Everybody has a bike that they love, for me, it was this model.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
CBR_Ryder
No more bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelscamaro
HaHa, j/k, couldn't pass up the deal on this bike. Everybody has a bike that they love, for me, it was this model.
RIght on bro, hope you get it fixed!
CBR_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

If all 4 turnsignals are L.E.D. you'll need a load equalizer to make them flash properly, I keep them in stock. That should fix problem #1.
#2 sounds like it's probably just a bad bulb.
If you bring the bike by tomorrow when we reopen I'll take a quick look at it.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
If all 4 turnsignals are L.E.D. you'll need a load equalizer to make them flash properly, I keep them in stock. That should fix problem #1.
#2 sounds like it's probably just a bad bulb.
If you bring the bike by tomorrow when we reopen I'll take a quick look at it.
Thanks, problem is that ur store is to far for me. If the LED's are the problem, everything should work normal if I switch back to normal bulb right?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Thanks, problem is that ur store is to far for me. If the LED's are the problem, everything should work normal if I switch back to normal bulb right?
If you were to put the normal bulb "carbon-fiber" aftermarket signals on the bike...it should work properly. I had the same problem as you are having, but after getting the load equalizer it was all good. From what I remember, the load required to make the LED's blink is much less, therefore mine were appearing solid and would be all out of whack.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
If you were to put the normal bulb "carbon-fiber" aftermarket signals on the bike...it should work properly. I had the same problem as you are having, but after getting the load equalizer it was all good. From what I remember, the load required to make the LED's blink is much less, therefore mine were appearing solid and would be all out of whack.
So can I buy the part on my side of town and is it hard to install? Also how much does the part cost?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Thanks to Patrick with M/U, the problem was fixed. Once he saw what they were doing, he knew exactly what was needed. I even picked up some new Cool Blue Headlight Bulbs. It was a long drive over ther, but well worth it. The MotoHouston Discount alone payed for my gas. Once again Patrick, great job done. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Is that a different bike? If it the same one the plastic looks great.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Thanks to Patrick with M/U, the problem was fixed. Once he saw what they were doing, he knew exactly what was needed. I even picked up some new Cool Blue Headlight Bulbs. It was a long drive over ther, but well worth it. The MotoHouston Discount alone payed for my gas. Once again Patrick, great job done. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but yeah...the part was less than $50 I think....I mounted mine under the rear seat and haven't had a problem. Glad to hear Patrick took care of you. I too am going to be needing his help in the near future.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
Hotwheelscamaro

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

Yeah Patrick will take good care of you. Best part was that I was under a time limit. Had to be at work at 1:30 pm in Clear Lake. He got me out in plenty of time. They mounted it on the right side of the underay. Nice install.

This is a new bike. Sold the 2000 Street Fighter ZX7R and bought this one. This 1 is a 2001 ZX7R. Clear TX Title. Does need a new left fairing, but I'm in no big rush.

Advertisement