MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning

Buell XB9S ... help with clutch cable replacement?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with doing a clutch cable replacement on the Buell XB9S on Saturday. There is some beer and a little bit of money in it for you.

Reason I am looking for help is because the clutch cables are infamous for being weak at the primary. Also, it looks like the primary cover might have to come off and I am not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to internals. An extra set of hands doesn't hurt either!

LMK!
sandbarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch and Brake Lever Replacement maverick32488 How To's and Q & A's 7 03-15-2012 09:49 AM
Clutch replacement suzu600r How To's and Q & A's 15 12-10-2010 01:54 AM
clutch replacement info? jdm_phunk How To's and Q & A's 4 04-16-2009 08:20 AM
Clutch cable flip326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 01-12-2006 03:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarmark View Post
Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with doing a clutch cable replacement on the Buell XB9S on Saturday. There is some beer and a little bit of money in it for you.

Reason I am looking for help is because the clutch cables are infamous for being weak at the primary. Also, it looks like the primary cover might have to come off and I am not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to internals. An extra set of hands doesn't hurt either!

LMK!
change it to automatic transmission.....that will eliminate all future problems

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
There's a real easy way to do it...

You go out and you buy one of those fork nut clocks...

and then, drive a new bike (other than a buell) under it.

Problem solved.

Oh yeah - then you have to sell the Buell...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Look thru this and see if it matches up to yours...

Clutch Cable Removal
  • 1 Remove the lower chin fairing from the motorcycle. Using a Torx driver, remove the Torx-head bolts and washers from the center and side panels of the chin fairing. Lower the chin fairing to the ground and pull it away from the motorcycle.

• 2 Pull the cable out of the cable holder under the steering head. Using a Torx driver, remove the Torx-head bolts that secure the tie bar to the V-shaped bracket on the bottom front of the motor. Remove the tie bar and the clutch cable's P-clamp from the V-shaped bracket.

• 3 Follow the clutch cable from the motor up to the handlebars. Using a razor blade, cut the nylon cable strap that secures the clutch cable to the voltage regulator's wiring harness.

• 4 Push the rubber clutch cable's adjuster boot, located at the midpoint of the cable, up and away from the cable adjuster. Loosen the cable adjuster's lock nut with a 10 mm wrench. Twist the adjuster clockwise until it is seated against the cable end to loosen the cable completely.

• 5 Pull the clutch cable out of the clutch perch, sliding the inner steel cable through the groove cut into the perch. Pull the cable's end barrel out of the clutch lever. Pull the cable away from the upper fork clamp and handlebars.

• 6 Using a socket wrench, remove the bolt that secures the shift lever to the motor's primary cover. Pull the shift lever away from the motor. Remove the clutch-inspection cover from the primary cover, using a Torx driver to unscrew all three Torx-head bolts.

• 7 Pull the spring off the hexagonal adjusting screw. Using a socket wrench, twist the adjusting screw clockwise to loosen the ramp hook that secures the clutch cable to the clutch mechanism. Pull the cable's barrel end out of the clutch mechanism. Unscrew the outer clutch cable from the primary housing and pull the cable away from the motorcycle.

Clutch Cable Installation
  • 1 Prepare the new cable. Push the rubber clutch cable's adjuster boot, located at the midpoint of the cable, up and away from the cable adjuster. Loosen the cable adjuster's lock nut with a 10 mm wrench. Twist the adjuster clockwise until it is seated against the cable end to loosen the cable completely.

• 2 Slip a new cable O-ring over the threaded end of the clutch cable. Screw the threaded end of the clutch cable into the primary cover, pushing the inner cable and barrel end into the primary housing. Slip the barrel end into the notch of the clutch mechanism's cable coupling. Use a socket wrench to twist the adjusting screw counterclockwise to tighten the ramp hook over the clutch mechanism. Slip the spring over the adjusting screw. Reinstall the clutch-inspection cover, using a Torx driver to insert and tighten all three Torx-head bolts.

• 3 Route the clutch cable up from the motor to the handlebars. Insert the barrel end of the cable into the clutch lever's catch and pull the inner cable through the groove cut into the lever. Pull the inner cable through the groove cut into the clutch-lever perch.

• 4 Place the P-clamp over the clutch cable and reattach the P-clamp and tie bar to the V-shaped bracket on the bottom front of the motor, using a Torx driver to insert and tighten the bolts. Slip the upper portion of the clutch cable into the cable holder under the steering head. Secure the cable to the voltage regulator's wiring harness with a nylon cable tie.

• 5 Pull the clutch lever in three times to set the clutch mechanism's ramp, then release the clutch lever completely. Pull the clutch cable away from the clutch perch and hold it in position. Tighten the clutch cable by twisting the cable adjuster counterclockwise until there is 1/16- to 1/8-inch of excess inner cable showing between the cable and the clutch-lever perch. Tighten the cable adjuster's lock nut with a 10 mm wrench and slide the rubber boot over the adjuster.

• 6 Slide the lower chin fairing under the motorcycle. Lift the chin fairing into position beneath the motor. Insert and tighten the Torx-head bolts and washers into the side and front panels of the chin fairing using a Torx driver.

If so shouldn't take too long; can help if you want to do first thing in the AM Saturday... ? Or Thurs/Fri evening...

.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
Try badweatherbikers.com

It's a good buell community. A lot of die hard buellers on there who can help you out.

I'd be happy to help you out if you needed an extra set of hands, but i'm out of town atm
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
If so shouldn't take too long; can help if you want to do first thing in the AM Saturday... ? Or Thurs/Fri evening...
Friday evening would be great. It will give me the chance to give the Buell a good run before the ride on the weekend.

Give me a text ... 7 one 3 ... four 4 nine ... 4 nine 2 one. I'd really appreciate the help!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfitzny View Post
Try badweatherbikers.com

It's a good buell community. A lot of die hard buellers on there who can help you out.

I'd be happy to help you out if you needed an extra set of hands, but i'm out of town atm
Some other time we will have to have a Buell run somewhere
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Friday evening would be great. It will give me the chance to give the Buell a good run before the ride on the weekend.

Give me a text ... 7 one 3 ... four 4 nine ... 4 nine 2 one. I'd really appreciate the help!
Whats a good time to call? I am old and don't do text much..

Or heck just PM me and I'll give you my # and addy...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Whats a good time to call? I am old and don't do text much..

Or heck just PM me and I'll give you my # and addy...
You can call me whenever.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
ibhusain
on two wheels

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha FZ6
2003 Kawasaki ZR7S (sold)

I'm no mechanic, but since I'm less than 45 seconds away from you and have an extra set of hands, feel free to call me whenever you do it if you need help.
ibhusain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibhusain View Post
I'm no mechanic, but since I'm less than 45 seconds away from you and have an extra set of hands, feel free to call me whenever you do it if you need help.
You are more than welcome to come by, Abe. texlurch is going to try to come over on Friday evening to help out. But, it is always good to have company and share some wobbly pops.

I'll PM you my address. Stop in whenever you like, anytime.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
Quote:
Some other time we will have to have a Buell run somewhere
Sounds good
I live pretty close to you as well, and there are a bunch of us on here.
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
ibhusain
on two wheels

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha FZ6
2003 Kawasaki ZR7S (sold)

I might not make it. The wife and I are going to spend the evening in the S.E. area.

Looking forward to seeing that bike on the road though.
ibhusain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

So, I called the HD dealer today and my clutch cable still hasn't come in, even though I paid extra to have it overnighted. Looks like I may not be working on the bike tonight after all. More likely tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

well !
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

Just got an update from the HD dealer. And I'm smiling

They found a clutch cable in Victoria or something at another dealer. So, to make things right, they sent a courier to pick it up for me and I'll get it today.

What was going to be a post with me ranting about how horrible the local HD dealers are will turn into a glorious recommendation for their hard work to make sure that I got a part on the day it was promised.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Just got an update from the HD dealer. And I'm smiling

They found a clutch cable in Victoria or something at another dealer. So, to make things right, they sent a courier to pick it up for me and I'll get it today.

What was going to be a post with me ranting about how horrible the local HD dealers are will turn into a glorious recommendation for their hard work to make sure that I got a part on the day it was promised.
ok, now give us the dealer so we all know who works hard at pleasing the customer.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven

As soon as I get the cable and fix the bike I'll make another post.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
As soon as I get the cable and fix the bike I'll make another post.
haha. I get it. just to make sure they come through on their word. got it.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #20
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Buell lives again 'ey... and goes potato potato potato!