Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Thumbs up My experiences, so far...

All, this is a great forum, glad to have found it! My experiences, so far, as a rider getting back into the sport after 35 years, may have value. After taking the MC course the biggest dilemma was: what kind of bike? I talked it out with various riding friends and got advice all over the map. Dealerships, as noted in the sticky thread just want to sell bikes and pushed the 600 cc and up sport bikes and even bigger traditional bikes.

My brother in Montana (rides a Buell Blast) pointed me to a Ninja 250 or the new Honda 250. I wanted the Honda, but early delivery was late May. I concluded best safety practice (and desire) was not to wait over 2 months between taking the MC course and getting my license to get a bike. Momentum is important I think, and constant practice.

The best advice I got from my buddy Mitch--get a used, but in good condition Kawa EX500. This was after I looked at new Ninja 250s, a Triumph Bonneville, a Ducati 696 Monster, etc at dealers. Mitch was right. The EX500 is a superb beginner bike: reasonable power, handling and braking. It has been very predictable for me, and as yet I have not even come close to the potential of the bike.

When I decided on the EX500, I had the dealer deliver it to Sugar Land. I knew I was not up to a first ride down I45, across Beltway 8, then down 59S to home. That was a good move. When I got the bike, I had full safety gear and I had to borrow a helmet from my buddy Ed to do that. First ride I emulated what I learned in the course: get the feel of the clutch grip, brakes and handling: total focus. I tested emergency braking, swerving, proper curves and slow handling. I stayed off the freeways instead I rode only development roads, and I went out every other day for a couple weeks to gain skill. Every time I ride, I learn something new.

I notice increased "motor reflexes". I still had some of those from riding decades ago, yet they are tuning up, no doubt. These reflexes, I believe are key to safety. The more I practice, the smoother my ride.

So, there it is. Yeah, I am a 57 year old, and pretty cautious. Given that, I hope to ride safely for a long time. Eventually the dream bike will occur, but that may be a year or more out.

Cheers and thanks to all!

lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote