Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #61
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggy View Post
I have an acquaintance that recently got an R1 as a first bike. He's never had any experience on a smaller bike. Do you guys feel its your responsibility as a veteran rider to tell them about the option of smaller bikes, and bigger is not always better?

I'm on the fence. I try to apply due diligence and inform them about smaller bikes but there are times when the person is just basking in their glory about the new purchase that I don't want to seem like a "hater". The only best I can do is take them out on rides and have them experience for themselves.

They're already scared shitless of the bike (probably the same story on a 600cc).
here we go with the same threads r1 as a first bike lol

cmon man do a search

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stepping up to the bike boys bike(1/4 liter) albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2013 08:13 PM
Liter bike for commuting Bigchuckie General Discussion (Moto Related) 100 03-16-2012 03:11 PM
Which Liter Bike ???? Gomomichael General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 02-17-2012 05:06 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
BEGINNER LITER BIKE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-14-2005 02:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #62
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Don't worry about me keeping up . Just meet me and make Me sit down like u said. Or maybe I'll just see u somewhere and make u sit down
I really hope you're a troll. No one is really this idiotic and combative.....right? Come to a track day on your 600, and I'll be happy to show you all sorts of "bs 250" tail section.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #63
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
that's all you can really do. liter+ bikes are un-forgiving. self control is only a small part of the issue. the big issue is mistakes. mistakes happen, and depending on when that mistake happens and what kind of power that machine puts down can make the difference between living and dieing.
Exactly. Like I was always told:

When you start riding you have a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill up the bag of experience before you run out of luck.

In my opinion, why get a bike that drains your luck faster?
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #64
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
I don't even see why your saying he needs a smaller bike who cares. Is he really gonna see what u post sell his new bike and get a smaller one
He's asking for advice on how to approach his friend...who knows he might get the right advice his friend see the value in it...sell his one thousand for more than what a 600 would cost buy a maybe newer bike and still have some cash left...sounds too perfect but it could happen and it could protect him in the end...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #65
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

not about the bike, its about the rider
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #66
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

i love how everyone call each other e-tough. and they are the other e-tough

now thats hilarious. keep e-fighting pls

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #67
91stunna
Naked Ninja...sort of.

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 Z750S
2007 EX250

Quote:
Don't worry about me keeping up . Just meet me and make Me sit down like u said. Or maybe I'll just see u somewhere and make u sit down
You're doing a good job on keeping up the GSXR owner stereotype!
91stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #68
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
i love how everyone call each other e-tough. and they are the other e-tough

now thats hilarious. keep e-fighting pls
no, I'm old...and obnoxious, I was gonna say nasty....but then
I remembered your foot.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #69
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
no, I'm old...and obnoxious, I was gonna say nasty....but then
I remembered your foot.
my foot is ready to get in someone's mouth . who says first

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #70
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

My E- is larger than everyone elses E-.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #71
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
My E- is larger than everyone elses E-.
....we told you to quit double dosing the .
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #72
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Trackdays: 3

I eat them like tic-tac's
Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #73
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

What to say?
Those of you that started with an R1 congradulations on surviving the learning curve.
You should also check the specs of that early R1 its likly not even close to the current one.

He had a reson for buying the bike you might get some insight if you ask him why he made the selection.

See if you can talk him into keeping it in the lower perfomming mode. I thnk its B mode, that might be a little help.
If he has close relatives a serious talk about life insurance may be a good idea.
Go over standard safety checks like Air pressure in tires and the safety gear.
I assume he has taken the Safety course

The first 5K miles are likely the most dangeorus considering after about 2K he will be more likly to think he has the experiance.

Good Luck

FYI I never had a high performce liter bike, I did part with an 08 Busa after 10K miles
confidnetly knowing if I didn't I would be parting with life as I know it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #74
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Stfu ulric u
Kiss my scrublet, let us know when you make the 5yr mark...if you make it that
long.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #75
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

Quote:
I don't even see why your saying he needs a smaller bike who cares. Is he really gonna see what u post sell his new bike and get a smaller one
wow this guy is still talking... ok fine . ill be at the Hooters on the feeder in about 25 minutes see you there ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #76
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

A liter bike for a first bike is usually a bad idea. Those that feel that it's a good idea are often those who got a liter bike for a first bike. You can buy perceived street cred via your machine, with the fastest hottest thing on the planet but that doesn't necesarily mean you can come close to using it effectively. That's the awesome thing about motorcycles - the bike is only half of the equation. It's like a beautiful expensive guitar - people are only impressed with it until you start to play. At that point, it becomes painfully evident whether you're posing or can truly use it.

I bought over my head on my first bike and it was "just a 600." It was a scary first year that didn't end in as much tragedy as it could have - just a broken back. I listened to too many people with the tired old "it's just a 600" bullshit. Don't think I would have lived on a liter bike back then.

There is a very critical skill set that has to be learned and improved upon if you ever want to be a really good rider. It's infinitely harder to build such skills when you are starting out way over your head. It's really easy to let ego or sometimes even a good deal that's too hard to pass up dictate what we buy, but the reality is that very very few everyday riders would ever even come close to maxing out the performance capabilities of any stock 600 on a road course.

I've spent many years of my 40 around dangerous things. I've seen a lot of good people dead or permanently altered from being in far over their heads when they though they had it all under control or even worse, mastered. Parachutes, cars, motorcycles - it's too easy to start believing that the machine is the greater part and that the operator is made by it, rather than the opposite.

When the new GSXR1000 model came out in 2001, they press launched it at Road Atlanta along with the auspices of the Schwantz school. I wasn't out there that weekend, but talked on the followingTuesday to my friend Ted that is an instructor for KS and quite an impressive guy on a road course. At the time, I think he was jockeying for the points lead in WERA B and C superbike, doing a little AMA as well as teaching at the GP school.

I asked him about the new 1000 and his reply was along the lines of, "As I was coming up the hill out of 5 and it was power wheelieing up on me, I realized that it might just have been too much bike for me that particular day." Sort of put it in perspective. He was working at Performace Powersports in Duluth, GA back then, and used to flat out refuse to sell certain bikes to inexperienced riders. The back of the shop was always full of low mileage insurance jobs that wadded up before the motors were even broken in.

Can you start on a 1000 and live? Sure. Some even learn how to be highly skilled on them without a long hard learning curve filled with near misses and incidents. Doesn't mean it's ideal. I bear no ill will against them, I just think it's a better idea to start smaller for many reasons.

, there's so much "natural selection intervention coming" out on some of the newer liter bikes now with traction control, ABS etc., I guess that the odds improve slightly - though Darwin might scoff at it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #77
Rachy Rach
Nut up or Shut up!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
07 Yamaha r6 - Sold :(

Even he may be a grown man and makes his own decisions, it is rather stupid to start on a liter bike.

Let him know the consequences of starting out on such a big bike. If he's smart, he will heed your words. If he's not then let nature take its course.

Quote:
E-thuggin at it's finest.
Rachy Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #78
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
He's a grown person let him ride what he wants. If your buying the bike with your money than you have say so if not let him do what he wants. Just cause it's a 1000 don't mean besides People wanting tO talk . No one tells you what to ride so why tell him?
Quote:
Not saying I got more experience then u or anyone else but who are u to judge someone on what they ride and say oh a 1000 is too much. Sooo based on ulric u gotta ride for 10 plus years to ride a 05 FZ1. nice man
Quote:
A 600 is fine much better than that bs 250
canttelliftrolling

Jesus GTFO
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #79
Rachy Rach
Nut up or Shut up!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
07 Yamaha r6 - Sold :(

So much hostility in this thread lol

Last edited by Rachy Rach; 05-23-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Rachy Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #80
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

If u were buying a car would u get a bad corvette that was a of a deal? Or a ford fiesta cuz of the engine? Same rule applies. People get what they get based on what they think they can handle and what they like. U can't call someone an idiot for getting somethin bigger than someone else thinks they should so y all the fuss? This is america..if u want rules on what people ride first go live in a commie country. That's all I'm sayin..
DISCLOSURE: all sayings and opinions are just that. Opinions. Don't judge me
greaselightnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement