MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

European Helmets/Knock-offs

So I just bought a new helmet from a website in germany, here is the link below. I've bought this helmet before from sportbiketrackgear and I really liked it. When I received the new one from germany though I noticed that it was not the same as the one I had gotten from SBTG. They look the same on the outside, but the liner material is different (much crappier in the one from germany), the inside label is different between them (the one from SBTG had a warning and the year it was made and the german one is just a Shark logo) and that got me wondering if this was a knock-off. The final straw was that I noticed the new one from Germany doesn't have the ECE22-05 or the DOT certification painted on the back the the other one I owned. Does anyone know if helmets made by the same company and same model are different between europe and the US? I'm contacting the company, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this. I've seen a lot of china knock-off stuff on ebay, but knock-off helmets take this to a whole new level. Thats just not the type of thing you screw around with.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...-Indy-KAS-0001
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
European girls. KalmarJoe Off Topic 10 08-16-2010 03:03 AM
the funniest knock knock joke EVER!!! bentgixxer Off Topic 4 03-29-2007 04:07 PM
iPod knock-offs Dumptruck Off Topic 20 03-06-2007 05:35 PM
Knock Knock joke Ramius Off Topic 2 11-08-2006 04:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

From all the reading that I've been doing lately about helmets, it looks like germany is pretty strict about helmet safety. It might just be manufactured in germany under Shark's specifications maybe. That might be why the lining is different and its missing the DOT sticker (my AGV is apparently ECE cert but its not marked stating this). Don't give up your research quest, though, and good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
CaffeineRacer

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

So here's the update. I just went to the top and talked to the people at shark to get the low down. From our initial correspondence it sounds like the helmet is the real deal. Apparently my old one was a 1st gen version of the helmet and they switched the interior design for the 2nd gen iteration like the one I got from germany. I'm going to email them one more time with the serial number though to be certain and see what year it was made.

Also the EU doesn't require the helmet certifications to be labeled on the helmet and since this one was made for the european market its missing this. On the other hand the US requires at least DOT certified helmets so this is something to consider when ordering helmets from overseas. Someone posed and interesting thought to me as to why not having the DOT on your helmet is not an issue and let me put this out here to see what people have to say.

Since texas doesn't require a helmet if you are over 18 and have your "M" certification, then if you have those things does is matter if the helmet you wear has the DOT designation or not?
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement