MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Yzf_racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

07 R1 clutch won't fully disengage

I have a 07 R1 with 7k miles on it and today when backing out of the garage it was very hard to push when the bike was in gear and the clutch lever pulled. I put it in neutral and it rolled as easy as it is supposed to. I tightened the clutch cable as much as it would go on the top and the bottom of the cable but it did not make a difference. The bike doesn't try to go anywhere when i am sitting on it while in gear with the lever pulled but I put it on the rear stand and it goes about 9 mph in 1st gear (same speed as if the clutch was fully engaged. I did a quick search online and saw that the age of the oil could do this so I changed it. After changing the oil (synthetic 10-40) it worked as it should as I was checking for oil leaks. I shut the bike off and tried again 30 minutes later and it started acting the same way before the oil change. Any ideas on what is causing this or how to fix it?
Yzf_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch cable not fully disengaging tookerks How To's and Q & A's 8 02-01-2013 02:57 PM
09 r1 won't start?? no fly zone 01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 04-23-2012 01:20 PM
07 GSXR1000 Clutch Problem - wont fully disengage JimmySS2002 How To's and Q & A's 5 08-10-2010 09:18 AM
R1 Clutch cory4408 How To's and Q & A's 2 12-04-2008 11:05 AM
2005 r1 won't start after nice slide. hypertrophyy How To's and Q & A's 22 05-08-2007 02:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
On the stand, the rear tire is always going to move. , if you blipped the throttle with the bike in NEUTRAL it would still move. It's possible that you just have a plate or two friction welded together, however, what you're describing sounds pretty normal to me.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
ever323
Mayhem

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
ZX6R up in flames
07 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
On the stand, the rear tire is always going to move. , if you blipped the throttle with the bike in NEUTRAL it would still move. It's possible that you just have a plate or two friction welded together, however, what you're describing sounds pretty normal to me.
+1 seems normal
ever323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
dontbap()ssy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

what kind of oil did you put in it ? Make sure that its motorcycle specific oil , car oil won't work with bike clutches
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Yzf_racing

I know it sounds normal but it just doesn't feel right. I have been riding for 8 years and have never had this happen before. I know what you are talking about as far as the wheel spinning on the stands but it is doing it much faster then normal. Before the problem it was fairly easy to push the bike while in gear with the clutch pulled. Now it feels like I am pushing it up a steep hill. If it is some disks stuck together will riding it as is cause any more damage to the rest of the clutch?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Yzf_racing

Yes it is the mobil 1 motorcycle sportbike oil($10/qrt) that I have been using forever.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Mayday0017

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike

Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
Man that bike sounds really screwed up, you should give it to me and get a new one

Trackday Registration:www.fastlinemcs.com

Motorcycles Unlimited / EBC Brake Pads www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Yzf_racing

Come get it, just make sure you bring some cash
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
ever323
Mayhem

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
ZX6R up in flames
07 1000RR

when the bike is on a stand can you stop the wheel with your hand? If so thats normal but if not then yes you clutch is catching
ever323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Yzf_racing

I didn't try to stop it with my hand because it didn't look like I was going to be able to. I will try it later today when I get off work to get a for sure answer.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

I didn't read all your details but from skimming sounds like theirs a issue. Bring it by the shop(Motorcycles Unlimited) and let us take a look at it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I think it'd be a pretty dumb idea to try stopping it with your hand.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Yzf_racing

I will put it on the stand in neutral and try to hold the tire while I have someone put it in gear (without letting go of the clutch once engaged) to see how much force is behind it.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
SilverBullet

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

If it's hard to push bike while the clutch is engaged then something is definitely wrong, listen to Camaro and have it looked at. Do not try stopping the wheel by hand unless you're looking to trim off some digits. Ever seen the photos showing outcome of oiling chain while the bike is running?

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Yzf_racing

Oh yes, I have seen it and that is why I won't go anywhere near the chain. I will hold the tire while it is in neutral and not moving, making sure that it can slide right out if there is a lot of power behind it. Then have someone put it in gear without releasing the clutch. I will be very cautious while doing this and be prepared/expecting the tire to jump away from me but just curious how much power it is putting out.

I don't like going to shops unless I have to because they rape your wallet and half the time they are careless about their work. I like doing things myself if I can because I learn a lot about it, it's cheaper, it gets done right, and I get the satisfaction of knowing I was able to do it. If i turns out that it is more then i can handle then i have no problem taking it to someone but i want to know what all is going on with the bike. I dont want to be that ignorant person that goes to a shop for everything and get taken advantage of because i dont know any better. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can on the subject and give everyone the best description I can of the symptoms the bike is giving me.

Anybody ever had to change out the clutch before?
If it is 2 disks stuck go each other is it as simple as separating them and putting it back together as is or will they just get stuck again as soon they are engaged again?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have to wonder if the inner hub is damaged and not letting the plates separate. On one hand it sounds like the stack height is too short and it's slipping. It sounds like the plates wont disengage or fully mesh. Im curious what the hub and basket look like.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Yzf_racing

What are common things to look for in a bad clutch?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Yzf_racing

Also the bike rides fine like there is no problems. I can sit at a stop with the bike running in gear with the clutch lever pulled and it doesn't try to pull me forward at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Yzf_racing

Ok so here is what I found out, and yes this is very wierd. I started the bike in neutral, very little spin as usual. Place the bike in 1st without releasing clutch, a little more wheel spin just as normal. At this point I am like WTF because everything is working right.

Now things get strange. I won't accept the fact that it was just a temporary thing so I start experimenting with it. I release the clutch and let the bike run in 1st gear (9mph). I pull the clutch and it doesn't stop at all. I have someone drag their foot on it and it is continuing to pull as if the clutch is completely engaged. They push on it hard enough to get it to stop, then release it to see if it picks back up and it doesn't. It acts like it is supposed to again.

So, the clutch is staying engaged until it is forced to disengage before stalling the motor. It doesn't come close to stalling at all but that is basically what is happening. It seems that the pull between the motor and the road is what is disengaging the clutch.

This brings me to another question.

If the clutch is not disengaging between between shifting gears how much damage is it causing to the syncros in the transmission?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It sounds like your gears should be fine. Open that up. DL a manual if you need to. Its an easy job. See for yourself what the problem is.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement