MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

Help with Carb adjustments?

My 1996 ZX7 upon purchase was dumping fuel on the low side. Enough to fowl the plugs and keep pouring out fuel into the cylinder after being shut off.

So i bought a set of lightly used 1996 ZX7 carbs that had lived on a shelf for many many years, got em yesterday. Checked the settings and cleaned them.

Clip is on the needle at 3rd slot from bottom. 1 shim on top and 1 0n bottom of clip.

Float height is 14mm

I believe the jets were 168 inner and 163 outer(I think) . Both carbs had same jets.

So I started at 2 turns out on the mixture screws. Up to 2.5 now with less idle hang when I blip the throttle.

Even if I turn the main idle all the way up it wont go above 1500 RPM.

Bike wont start without me giving it some throttle, sometimes the idle hangs and then when it does come back down it may die and not idle. The bike smells rich to me but not as bad it did with the old carbs.

FYI: The old carbs performed flawlessly except dumping fuel after being shut off. And the choke was messed up, most of the screws were stripped out. Carbs were in sad shape.
CTBYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve adjustments ? Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-03-2012 08:37 AM
valve adjustments Shinobi General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-26-2011 01:02 PM
Does anyone have a list of no carb - low carb foods? GIXXERKELLY Health and Fitness 7 08-17-2009 11:32 AM
suspension adjustments Nasty09 How To's and Q & A's 2 10-29-2008 11:05 PM
Chain Adjustments WFO How To's and Q & A's 9 08-01-2006 07:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Did you tear the new ones all the way down and check all the passages? Strange that the idle wont go over 1500 rpm. How does the motor pull through the rpms after its warm, any bogging or cutting out?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

My gas tank is being prepped for paint right now. So i am using an old B12 Chemtool can as a gas tank. Can last maybe ten minutes.

With the bike sitting and holding the throttle slightly I can get it to idle. When i put it in gear and try to ride it, it just dies. I have to come off at 5k or better and stay there or it dies when trying to move..
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I'm wondering how out of synch the carbs maybe, do you have a synchronizer set? Also sounds like there maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

With the old carbs. After they were cleaned and re-installed. It idle fine and crank right up, a lil rich but it was good. But when i tried to ride it it did the same thing, died as sooon as I started to release the clutch. I was told my carbs were so worn out it wasnt worth trying to fix them(They could have been)

So now the only difference is the throttle hang after a blip and not wanting to stay idle.

I have checked what few vacuum connections are there. All the intake ports have new rubber caps to block them off. Kleen air mod is done and has new tube.

I dont have a sync tool. Debating buying one or paying a shop. i just hate to pay for work on the bike when i am capable of learning and doing the work myself.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
RePo

Bike(s):
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R
1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ750J
MX150 dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBYT View Post
But when i tried to ride it it did the same thing, died as sooon as I started to release the clutch.
Try it up on a center stand, rear wheel spins free. Put it in gear, and ease the clutch out with no load. Does is just die then? If so, it sound like electrical where the side stand switch is bad. My Ninja is wired to kill if you try to move it with the kickstand down.
RePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

@REPO

Well that was it. They had the kickstand bypassed but the wires had came apart when i fixed the wire harness. Thank you very much.

So i was ale to ride the bike. absolutely no hesitation. Totally different machine. half throttle blip pops the front wheel up. The bike didnt react this well with the old carbs. Rode it up and down the street. (The can only lets me go down the street and back 2 maybe 3 times.)

After riding it a bit, the throttle hang isnt nearly as bad. Almost gone. the bike is trying to idle at 1000 but will still die. Thats with the main idle turned all the way up.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks.
Did the carbs have new pilot screw o-rings?
Turn the pilot screws to 3 turns out and check your synch.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

I hadnt had a chance to mess with it until today. I took the choke off cause it was slightly pulling . Took the air box off and what not.. When i did the bike cranked up , idled (lil high but two turns down on idle screw put at 1400)

Didnt smell to rich, a minut or two go by It starts smelling like its rich. I blip the throttle. Gas shoots out of carb 1 and 4, a minute later 1,3,4 carbs are doin this. Each time you blip the throttle alot of gas comes out as if it would puddle in the air box. You can put your hand over the carbs and get it wet with gas.

Then i notice that on carb #3 the slide has an erratic shake at idle. Up and down a tiny bit some times it jumps. As i start to apply any throttle it gets worse then #4 does it for a brief second. Then they smooth out.

The slide on #2 barely opens. unless I go full throttle. And is the only one not dumping gas.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

You've got multiple issues;
Your inlet needles are leaking or your floats are misadjusted causing thenfuel leaks.
The slide issues are that the diaphragm is pinched/not sealing properly.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

Thanks, pulling them off now.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

I took these carbs off. Everything was as it should of been. Aside from some corrosion inside the choke assembly. Carbs are being agitated in a cleaner. Both sets. Just so i can have a spare set.

Now let me ask this before i go any further, Is it possibly the fuel pump? The bike was very rich before new carbs.. But would run fine. Just dumped way too much gas. Enough to get in the oil.

NOW- I turn on the bike and sometimes before i pull in the clutch for the starter to kick the fuel pump pulses when i hit the ignition start button. I can hold it and it will prime the system ,you can clearly hear it once its primed, cause it bogs down but is still pulsating... Of course once the bikes running I cant tell if it on/off again and again or constant on. I have been told the fuel pump wont put out enough pressure to blow by the needle/seat. Beginning to wonder
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

Oh and all the sync screws are bottomed out. So where do i sit them to start with?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I was thinking maladjusted/stuck float as well with the fuel dumping issue. Maybe I missed it somewhere but were the "new" carbs rebuilt before install? All of those years sitting on the shelf does strange things to rubber and gaskets IMO. inspect the diaphragms carefully as small tears are often hard to find.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Carbs are mysterious beasts with souls that no man can fully comprehend. Unless you have been trained in the dark, arcane arts, carb maintenance is an excercise in futile frustration.
To preserve your sanity it should be left to skilled, expert, professionals.

If you insist on going down this path to certain mental breakdowns then you must start from scratch with meticulously cleaned carbs. You must replace seals and gaskets wherever possible. You must reassemble like a heart surgeon and syncronize like the BackStreet Boys.
After it seems to be running correctly it would be wise to take it to a shop with an exhaust gas analyzer to be sure they are adjusted and jetted correctly.

Only then, young Jedi will you have learned the ways of the force...

Or you could take it to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and have it done in one shot with no hassles. It will be well worth the cost, but you are stubborn and as many before you, will have to learn for yourself, .
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Carbs are mysterious beasts with souls that no man can fully comprehend. Unless you have been trained in the dark, arcane arts, carb maintenance is an excercise in futile frustration.
To preserve your sanity it should be left to skilled, expert, professionals.

If you insist on going down this path to certain mental breakdowns then you must start from scratch with meticulously cleaned carbs. You must replace seals and gaskets wherever possible. You must reassemble like a heart surgeon and syncronize like the BackStreet Boys.
After it seems to be running correctly it would be wise to take it to a shop with an exhaust gas analyzer to be sure they are adjusted and jetted correctly.

Only then, young Jedi will you have learned the ways of the force...

Or you could take it to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and have it done in one shot with no hassles. It will be well worth the cost, but you are stubborn and as many before you, will have to learn for yourself, .
Nice post!!! i wish we had "rep points" around here as i would give you some credit!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

If I had a way i would have already taken it to him. I am literally just around the corner from them. Maybe 1/2 mile.

But yes carbs are tasking. Just trying to learn. Not new to turning a wrench. Just new to motorcycle carbs.

I took them apart completely this time. Old gaskets, flat o-rings on the mixture screws, 2 bent mix needles and two different length float needles.

The float needle ends are still nice and soft but u can barely see a line where they had been seating.

The original carbs were worse.

I should have bought a rebuild kit in the first place..

Rebuild kits are on the way. 8 kits total. Going to put the spare kits away with the original carbs. Rainy day kinda thing.

Also got a new K&N air filter coming.

I am seriously contemplating a Factory jet kit while carbs are out.

Thanks to all and Patrick. Its much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
cobrakiller02

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
To many to list

Normally if you have gas blowing back through the carbs then you need to adjust your valves and it isnt going to idel right if the sync is out of adjustment. Dont waste your money on jets or anything. If u have any questions pm me
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

video of what its doing now. Its running very lean at 2 turns out, rebuild kit and has DynoJet kit.

http://youtu.be/ugikWbXFLBs
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
CTBYT
Havoc Is My Specialty

Bike(s):
1996 Kawasaki ZX7R

Member Garage

video of what its doing now. Its running very lean at 2 turns out, 15mm float , rebuild kits and has DynoJet kit.

Vid link: http://youtu.be/ugikWbXFLBs

Advertisement