MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Tire pressure technicalities

So i always hear the recommended tire pressure adjustments, cold temps and the rise after heating up through the TD, etc..

What are the effects of pressure too high and too low?

For instance if i'm running 30/30 cold and drop to 29/26 cold what is tire now doing differently that will improve or degrade the capabilities of it? Too much pressure (ie 40/40) will not let the tire flex properly and slip sooner (correct?) but is there a downside to pressures as low as 29/26 or something similar? Why do i want more pressure in front other than the somewhat minor suspension change?

Trying to figure out a little more about the pressures and why i would set them at certain levels, never really got more than basic knowledge about them for track riding.
Tire pressure the mother General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-31-2009 10:10 AM
My tire is low tire pressure. Who is the best place to take it for air? hotnanas How To's and Q & A's 74 11-19-2008 01:50 PM
tire pressure cp6rider How To's and Q & A's 6 02-23-2008 09:11 PM
Tire Pressure... 100f General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 11-20-2007 09:27 AM
tire pressure jacob Stunters Lounge 12 10-11-2006 11:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Mayday0017

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike

Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
For optimum performance while heeled over on the track, tire manufacturers usually recommend running pressures lower than those reserved for the street. Why? The lower pressure allows for a larger contact patch and therefore more grip in the corners. How low should the pressures be? They shouldn't be so low that they allow the carcass to deform and cause handling problems. Also, if the pressure is too low, the tires could overheat and the extra traction being sought will slip away. In the days of bias-ply tires, setting tire pressure was critical for keeping the tread in the correct operating temperature. Although radial tires have minimized some of the temperature fluctuations caused by pressure sensitivity, setting a tire to the proper pressure will pay off dividends measured in lap times.

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...#ixzz1MEpXACe8

Trackday Registration:www.fastlinemcs.com

Motorcycles Unlimited / EBC Brake Pads www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

This:
Quote:
Cory Johnson from Metzeler/Pirelli says between 75 and 80 percent of the tire warranty claims he reviews are caused by underinflation.

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...#ixzz1MEsaO500
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
So i always hear the recommended tire pressure adjustments, cold temps and the rise after heating up through the TD, etc..

What are the effects of pressure too high and too low?

For instance if i'm running 30/30 cold and drop to 29/26 cold what is tire now doing differently that will improve or degrade the capabilities of it? Too much pressure (ie 40/40) will not let the tire flex properly and slip sooner (correct?) but is there a downside to pressures as low as 29/26 or something similar? Why do i want more pressure in front other than the somewhat minor suspension change?

Trying to figure out a little more about the pressures and why i would set them at certain levels, never really got more than basic knowledge about them for track riding.

Pressure controls tire temp. Ergo:

a lower pressure allows the tire to heat up more. If you run too low of a pressure (within reason...obviously 10 psi is going to cause totally weird handling) you run the risk of overheating the tire which prematurely wears it, and causes a grip reduction as the tire's oils come to the surface and make it greasy.

a higher pressure allows the tire to heat up less. If you run too high of a pressure you run the risk of not being able to warm up the tire enough to get it's max grip, and you will cold tear the tire prematurely wearing it.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
also remember that not all tire pressure numbers work the same for every rider. even if you're on the same exact tire. it also depends on skill level. for example, a faster and more aggressive rider will tend to run higher pressures because they can generate and keep the heat in the tires better than a less skilled rider can.

less pressure = more contact patch, tire flattens out (effects handling)
more pressure = less contact patch, tire rounds out and takes proper shape (handles better)

it's a give or take, be sure to get a good baseline pressure to start off with, then adjust to how you see fit. even a 1/2 lb. of pressure makes a difference for me now, keep playing with it and get the feel for what tire pressures work better for you.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement