MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
Question for ya'll that don't like to be told to use a helmet or fasten your seatbelt, and have kids.

It is mandated that babies and toddlers ride in a dedicated car seat/baby seat, etc.

I'm sure you all do it, or have in the past (when your kids where young) why is the reason to do it? is it because there is a law telling you to?

In my case is because I use common sense, I know my kid is way, way safer in his dedicated seat.

Then why not use a helmet and a seat belt?

Wait, you're gonna tell me you don't like the government telling you to do it.

Geez......if your common sense is telling you to use a lid and strap down, what the government tells you is secondary, but it looks like at every turn we gotta find a reason to at the government.

Like my wife when she has PMS....she just looks at me and nitpicks like no tomorrow.
I get what you are saying. I never ride my bike without a helmet and I never drive my car without a seatbelt. Maybe its a little stupid to about someone telling me to do something I am going to do anyway, but this is how I see it:

No one has the right to tell me how to live my life, even if I'm living my life the way they want me too. That is of course with the exception that if the way I want to live my life hurts or interferes with someone else's life.

Also the government. We need to at them for random things to keep them on their toes. Otherwise we end up getting stopped at taxpayer funded checkpoints to make sure we are wearing our DOT approved helmets.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLEASE READ!!!! Derek Steptoe General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-27-2009 10:31 PM
READ silverfudge The Circus 24 07-23-2008 02:23 PM
Read txferrari Off Topic 18 04-03-2008 01:33 PM
Please read... Crystalline Off Topic 6 07-21-2006 11:18 PM
read this... cytukyl Off Topic 16 03-03-2006 10:09 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I wear my helmet. I dont want the govt telling me what to do.

I make my kids wear their seatbelts. I dont want the govt telling me I have to make them.

I also dont want to be stopped just to see if my saftey equipment (which SHOULD'NT BE MANDITORY) is in spec.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Track_Graphics

Figure this also - you can bet that if you go through a check point and your gear isn't up to DOT they'll make you park the bike and have someone either deliver you the approved gear before you can continue or come and pick up the bike. And if you have to park it in "their" lot there will be a charge and probably a fee to get it out from inside the fence.
Then they'll start checking the bike - are your tires approved? or good enough? Emissions? and anything else NOT checked when you get your inspection.
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
Coonass
Banned

User is banned

Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
interesting..while I love wearing my awesome chick magnet of a helmet, I dont feel that its the gov'ts job to tell me to wear it.
the same..with the exception for minors..

Less government intervention is a good thing (within reason). when has government done something right?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Question for ya'll that don't like to be told to use a helmet or fasten your seatbelt, and have kids.

It is mandated that babies and toddlers ride in a dedicated car seat/baby seat, etc.

I'm sure you all do it, or have in the past (when your kids where young) why is the reason to do it? is it because there is a law telling you to?

In my case is because I use common sense, I know my kid is way, way safer in his dedicated seat.

Then why not use a helmet and a seat belt?
i'm in no way arguing not to use a helmet or seatbelt, i do it 100%, but adults have a CHOICE , youngsters don't. seatbelt laws i'm completely fine with, helmet laws too. infact, ppl w/o helmets should be cited for attempted suicide. freaking ridiculous.

and the check points are a mess. well said by most folks so far. easy to top the minority and make soccer moms happy to get us off the road
Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #27
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Like my wife when she has PMS....she just looks at me and nitpicks like no tomorrow.
Forwarded to your wife.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #28
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

ya know... I am all for the return of helmet laws.

Sure it is another piece of the "government telling us what to do" But for those tards that ride without helmets probably NEED someone telling them what to do.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
ya know... I am all for the return of helmet laws.

Sure it is another piece of the "government telling us what to do" But for those tards that ride without helmets probably NEED someone telling them what to do.
I favore them too, also I firmly believe tiered motorcycle licenses should be implemented.

Too many idiots with no experience getting bikes they cannot control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

agreed, but here in america, it would never happen. Because that would infringe upon our "rights"

Some people have no business on zx-10s/busas/zx14s/harleys. At least the graduated licence system would force them to learn on something else before they kill themselves in spectacular fashion.

While some would argue that they can kill themselves on a ninja 250, that is true, just a ninja wont do it in a blink of an eye like super sport bikes can.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #31
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
not the govt's place to tell me whether or not i should be wearing a seatbelt, just like its not their place to make me quit smoking.
You can choose to smoke however the state can choose where you smoke (i.e. public places, restaurants, bars etc). however it is your right to smoke. It is your right to drive a vehicle however you are driving on tax paid roads so yes, they can make safety rules mandatory. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #32
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
agreed, but here in america, it would never happen. Because that would infringe upon our "rights"

Some people have no business on zx-10s/busas/zx14s/harleys. At least the graduated licence system would force them to learn on something else before they kill themselves in spectacular fashion.

While some would argue that they can kill themselves on a ninja 250, that is true, just a ninja wont do it in a blink of an eye like super sport bikes can.
Agreed, there's a reason why you need to pass a different test to get a CDL, driving a big truck is harder than driving a car, it poses more risks, why not with a motorcycle?

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #33
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonass View Post
They should just make it part of the insPection sticker process. That's when they chaco the cars for working seat belts and .
Agreed.... you should have your helmet inspected with the bike. Why not? Besides, driving w/o a helmet you need to show proof of personal medical insurance (to cover your bills if you get in an accident). Don't they make you present this to the DMV and get a sticker for your bike or on your license to have that right? I think instead of having checkpoints, police should just pull over bikes that don't wear helmets to check their tag just like a car gets pulled over for checks on its inspection sticker. After all, I imagine there are plenty of people out there who ride w/o helmets that haven't actually showed proof of medical insurance and we tax payers end up footing their medical bills.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #34
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

ya know I kinda wish there was a device that was in the car/motorcycle and the second that your insurance expired, your car would refuse to start until it was paid.

wishful thinking though.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
pinball
I got slow

Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
You can choose to smoke however the state can choose where you smoke (i.e. public places, restaurants, bars etc). however it is your right to smoke. It is your right to drive a vehicle however you are driving on tax paid roads so yes, they can make safety rules mandatory. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Exactly. Use government-funded services, obey government mandated rules. I am totally against checkpoints. I feel they would easily qualify as harassment. I am in favor of helmet and seat belt laws. While seat belts on RARE occasion can cause entrapment in a wreck and lead to death, the occurrences of that are so miniscule they shouldn't even be factored into the equation. Most often, seat belts either save lives, or greatly reduce injury.

Helmet and seat belt laws, if enforced, reduce the burden on the healthcare system. ANYONE who has a wreck is a burden on the healthcare system, insured or not. If an uninsured motorist is injured in a wreck, the taxpayers bear the cost of his/her medical expenses. If insured motorists are injured in a wreck, their medical expenses are carried by others covered under the same insurance. Surgeries, continued treatment and rehab for those injured can reach half a million dollars in the blink of an eye. Too many incidents, and the insurance premiums go up, affecting everyone who uses that insurance company.

Quote:
Agreed, there's a reason why you need to pass a different test to get a CDL, driving a big truck is harder than driving a car, it poses more risks, why not with a motorcycle?
Because a motorcycle is FUN, and a big truck is work. People feel there should be nothing standing between them and having a good time. I'm all for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but too many people refuse to accept any form of responsibility when it comes to their quest for pleasure.

With driving a big truck being work, it's a different story. It's a matter of I HAVE to to this if I'm going to make money, rather than I WANT to do this, so nothing should get in my way.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
So if you get a ticket for no seat belt, you don't pay it?
I know this question was directed at me, but RIGHT I don't pay. Although I wear my seat belt these days (my personal choice, not a law) I have gone to jail at least a half a dozen times for failure to pay my seat belt fine.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #37
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Why not do this for all vehicles since 50K people die in auto accidents every year? Why not have the police actually write tickets for people who talk on their cell phone while cutting across 4 lanes of traffic? What about the guy with no insurance or DL that hit my brother's car - they simply wrote him a ticket and let him drive his car home! If you get caught doing this in New York they tow your car on the spot and you don't get it back until you have proof of insurance.

I think that your reps in office want to look like they are fixing problems without troubling too many voters. They target a small group to pressure [motorcyclists] since they won't really affect the vote.

I know I'm gonna get a 2x4 for this but helmets should be mandatory. It don't hurt you to wear a helmet.

Last edited by MadseasoN; 05-12-2011 at 07:40 PM.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #38
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
I know this question was directed at me, but RIGHT I don't pay. Although I wear my seat belt these days (my personal choice, not a law) I have gone to jail at least a half a dozen times for failure to pay my seat belt fine.
?
wait, what?

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #39
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Exactly. Use government-funded services, obey government mandated rules. I am totally against checkpoints. I feel they would easily qualify as harassment. I am in favor of helmet and seat belt laws. While seat belts on RARE occasion can cause entrapment in a wreck and lead to death, the occurrences of that are so miniscule they shouldn't even be factored into the equation. Most often, seat belts either save lives, or greatly reduce injury.

Helmet and seat belt laws, if enforced, reduce the burden on the healthcare system. ANYONE who has a wreck is a burden on the healthcare system, insured or not. If an uninsured motorist is injured in a wreck, the taxpayers bear the cost of his/her medical expenses. If insured motorists are injured in a wreck, their medical expenses are carried by others covered under the same insurance. Surgeries, continued treatment and rehab for those injured can reach half a million dollars in the blink of an eye. Too many incidents, and the insurance premiums go up, affecting everyone who uses that insurance company.

Because a motorcycle is FUN, and a big truck is work. People feel there should be nothing standing between them and having a good time. I'm all for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but too many people refuse to accept any form of responsibility when it comes to their quest for pleasure.

With driving a big truck being work, it's a different story. It's a matter of I HAVE to to this if I'm going to make money, rather than I WANT to do this, so nothing should get in my way.
Now waitaminuteyou......you're just stretching it. That's a bunch of balooney.

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #40
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

The only good reason anyone said in favor of helmet laws is the burden on the health care system. Although I think not wearing a helmet would be less of a burden on the health care system. More likely to splatter your brains all over the road. Then you don't need a hospital.

Checkpoints and stricter laws and licensing make sense for vehicles that pose more danger to bystanders. Trucks and cars often cause the death of people other than the driver. Thats not usually true for motorcyclists.

Also if I am driving on a public road, that means I helped pay for it with the money that keeps getting lifted out of my pocket. I have a right to have a say in if I want it painted with my grey matter.

You really want to make motorcycles safer? Limit their speed to 70 mph and ban all alcohol. Thats...what...50% of all the accidents gone right there? Don't see many people in support of that.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement