Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Malorie's Law Because the way the weight of the driver leaning over, the passenger has nothing to hold on to and the driver has had is bike 3 months that how you kill my daughter. Google most dangerous bike on the road and put your daughter on the back driving at a dangerous speed because to driver has the sense gave a bent screwdriver. Keep in touch and I will continue to pray for you and your family
The girl knew her parents didn't want her on it, the rider knew her parents didn't want her on it. So this bill would have stopped her how? It would have prevented this accident how?
He disregarded the speed limit, they both disregarded her parents wishes... Trunk monkey to the rescue?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BORC Ride...Sunday Sept 1st....yesss Balllllllls Outtttttttt queenmoka Events, Meets and Rides 50 09-01-2013 08:47 PM
UH Football Tailgate: Sept 1st TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 14 09-01-2012 08:40 PM
2009 New Traffic Laws - effective Sept 1 bioGuru Off Topic 30 08-12-2009 03:10 PM
HB to me! hotcknstrips Off Topic 24 02-17-2009 07:55 PM
New Texas Laws in effect Sept 1st. BuellRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-09-2007 01:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #42
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I have told girls that I am not comfortable taking passengers on my bike.

I ditched the passenger pegs and rear seat for that exact reason.

Makes it easier to say "sorry I have no seat or pegs."

ROFL @ trunk monkey... those commercials were amazing.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #43
NgaWhat

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

WTB handhelds
NgaWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #44
pinball
I got slow

Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
The girl knew her parents didn't want her on it, the rider knew her parents didn't want her on it. So this bill would have stopped her how? It would have prevented this accident how?
He disregarded the speed limit, they both disregarded her parents wishes... Trunk monkey to the rescue?
I think I answered this in my last post, but it was lengthy, so I will summarize. The law itself would not have prevented it. Every law in place will be broken at some time or another. The law is merely a deterrent. There will be a handful of people that fall under this law who will heed it, thereby reducing the risk to themselves and others. A majority of people will simply disregard it, but it is like a lock....it only keeps honest criminals out.

I will use murder as an example. It's against the law, but some people do it anyway. If it was not against the law, most of us would have shot at least one cager by now. The law in place deters us from doing so. Extreme example, I know, but quite relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I have told girls that I am not comfortable taking passengers on my bike.

I ditched the passenger pegs and rear seat for that exact reason.

Makes it easier to say "sorry I have no seat or pegs."
Finally, someone gets it.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #45
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I think I answered this in my last post, but it was lengthy, so I will summarize. The law itself would not have prevented it. Every law in place will be broken at some time or another. The law is merely a deterrent. There will be a handful of people that fall under this law who will heed it, thereby reducing the risk to themselves and others. A majority of people will simply disregard it, but it is like a lock....it only keeps honest criminals out.

I will use murder as an example. It's against the law, but some people do it anyway. If it was not against the law, most of us would have shot at least one cager by now. The law in place deters us from doing so. Extreme example, I know, but quite relevant.

Finally, someone gets it.
No we got it long ago. I posed the question to the 'quote'... which you answered, it would have done squat.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #46
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
No we got it long ago. I posed the question to the 'quote'... which you answered, it would have done squat.
My "getting it" statement was for this thread in general...not your specific post.

This seems to me like a case of people only hearing what they want to. There's no guarantee that the law would have prevented anything, but my argument is that there is a chance that it would have acted as a deterrent, which is all any law amounts to, anyway.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #47
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

I think that with this law in place people are going to still do it. because a vast amount of people will have no clue otherwise. I just do not like it being left to JUST sportbikes.

Nevertheless, this will prevent nothing... just seems to be another reactionary law being put into place to appease a group.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #48
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I think that with this law in place people are going to still do it. because a vast amount of people will have no clue otherwise. I just do not like it being left to JUST sportbikes.

Nevertheless, this will prevent nothing... just seems to be another reactionary law being put into place to appease a group.
I definitely agree with that. The problem is that with all things, perception is reality. When someone sees a sportbike flying down the road and weaving in and out of traffic, their first thought is "There goes another on a sportbike." They see cruisers do that with much less frequency, so on the occasion they DO see a cruiser weaving in and out of traffic, most people see that as the exception rather than the rule.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #49
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
My "getting it" statement was for this thread in general...not your specific post.

This seems to me like a case of people only hearing what they want to. There's no guarantee that the law would have prevented anything, but my argument is that there is a chance that it would have acted as a deterrent, which is all any law amounts to, anyway.
Just making sure we end up on the same page....

Change this thing to all bikes, put something in there that actually educates and creates awareness and I wouldn't necessarily be against it... but as it is, all it is is another punitive measure with only real impact being 'after the fact'.

It does jack squat to create awareness and educate anyone, which are 2 of the biggest claims for it.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #50
NgaWhat

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

I think this will answer the law being a deterrent right here

people still drive without M endorsement

and most importantly

people still drive without insurance regardless if its two wheels or four
NgaWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #51
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgaWhat View Post
I think this will answer the law being a deterrent right here

people still drive without M endorsement

and most importantly

people still drive without insurance regardless if its two wheels or four
True, people break the above laws, but I would say a majority obey them. Those laws keep most people from driving without an endorsement/license/insurance. This one would be different because most will break it...just like speeding...but a handful will comply. Some is better than none, IMO. It's about minimizing risk.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #52
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Just making sure we end up on the same page....

Change this thing to all bikes, put something in there that actually educates and creates awareness and I wouldn't necessarily be against it... but as it is, all it is is another punitive measure with only real impact being 'after the fact'.

It does jack squat to create awareness and educate anyone, which are 2 of the biggest claims for it.
Much agreed. Awareness and education are the core issues, & next to nothing is being done to improve that. Perhaps a longer MSF class would help.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #53
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
You're right...laws don't prevent anything. People will do what they want, regardless of whether or not there is a law against it. I think that there are a lot of people on the fence that will, if this law is enacted, reconsider having a passenger if they do not meet the requirements stated in this law. Will it magically make inexperienced rider fatalities go away? Of course not, but it may drop the number a percentage point or two, and I'll take that over a rise in deaths, any day.

See above for your first two sentences. As for the rest...how many people do you know that ride will openly admit that they are inexperienced riders? Do you think some guy trying to impress a girl he's trying to get in bed will say, "No, you can't get on my bike. I've only been riding this R1 for 3 weeks, and I'm not comfortable carrying a passenger." no. Even if she asks, he's going to tell her he's been riding for years. An adult who has made the decision to get on the back of a bike is not innocent, but if they are misled, whose fault is it exactly? Again...see above. It won't completely stop it from happening, but a few conscientious riders will heed the law.

The grab bar thing i don't really understand. Maybe there's a yet-to-be-disclosed statistic about passenger's sliding off the bike during acceleration or during a wheelie. Who knows?

As far as a passenger having their "M" endorsement, I completely understand this. Most people simply do no understand the risks involved in riding a motorcycle. Sure, they know it's dangerous, but if you ask them why they think so, their answer usually involves getting hit by a car. They are unaware of that riding a bike is not like driving a car and do not understand the skills required and the physics (cornering and braking traction, mainly, and the effects of water, debris and passengers on said traction) involved in riding one. I am pretty certain the lawmakers added this part because someone with an "M" endorsement will (typically) have a much better understanding of the risks involved, and are able to make a more well-informed decision about whether or not to get on the back of a bike with someone who is inexperienced.

As for the 2 year requirement before you can carry a passenger? I'm sure studies show that people ride their bikes "X" miles in "Y" time, and those same studies probably show that there is a significant decrease in motorcycle fatalities in riders with >2 years experience. Am I certain of this? Of course not. It's just an educated guess. I see it like the cell phone use in a car law. If you're under 18, you cannot use a wireless communication device and operate a motor vehicle at the same time if the vehicle is in motion. Yes, I know it can be said that the difference is the age limitation, but look at it from the other side. For most people, turning 18 gives them roughly 2 years driving experience.
With your line of reasoning one can only draw the conclusion that you would be in FULL SUPPORT of a law that prohibits anyone from under the age of 30 from operating a sport or super sport motorcycle. Statistics show overwhelmingly that the majority of motorcycle fatalities involve operators of sport and super sport motorcycles are under the age of 30. A law such as this could easily save a thousand times more lives than this silly proposed MC passenger law that you're in support of. I'm going to go to Austin next month to lobby for such a ban for the 30 and under group. Will you sign the petition before I go?
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #54
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
............... I'm sure studies show.............

at least the "speed limit" law is effective! RIGHT!
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #55
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
Quote:
If it was not against the law, most of us would have shot at least one cager by now. The law in place deters us from doing so.
I disagree...most people don't think, "Oh...I would totally kill someone, but I don't want to go to prison."
Most get their sense of morality from religion, their upbringing, etc., and NOT from govt. laws.

Is this new law going to generate a new revenue stream? Yes.
Is it going to deter doubling up on a bike without 2 years of experience? Probably not.

I just don't understand why some people are so willing to give up their freedoms. I know this law seems like a small sacrifice, but these laws add up quickly.

"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Thomas Jefferson
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #56
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

i think in order to institute or suggest any motorcycle related laws you should require at least 2 years M endorsement and own at least one motorcycle, then you would at least sound coherent when you write these types of things.

statistics show that people who don't know what they're talking about sound like morons.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #57
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Perhaps a longer MSF class would help.
It was longer until about 6 years ago. Didn't work.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #58
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I emailed both my senators and asked them to vote against this bill unless it is amended to include all motorcycles.
I agree with the intent of the bill but am against the method the bill uses.

Sportbike crashes are more spectacular and flashier making for better news, but I am more at fear of the cruisers out there with their poor riding skill, fashionable rather than safe gear, and their empty trail of beer bottles leading to the bike.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #59
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
With your line of reasoning one can only draw the conclusion that you would be in FULL SUPPORT of a law that prohibits anyone from under the age of 30 from operating a sport or super sport motorcycle. Statistics show overwhelmingly that the majority of motorcycle fatalities involve operators of sport and super sport motorcycles are under the age of 30. A law such as this could easily save a thousand times more lives than this silly proposed MC passenger law that you're in support of. I'm going to go to Austin next month to lobby for such a ban for the 30 and under group. Will you sign the petition before I go?
Do you think there might be a chance that this is because fewer people over 30 ride sportbikes, or don't ride at all? The answer is "yes." Of course there will be fewer fatalities in that age group if fewer people of that age ride. People typically start raising families in their 30's and a lot of them walk away from riding. Several members of this forum are contemplating that very thing for this exact reason.

This is not a law that will be actively enforced. Someone (I believe it was Ulric) said this will be an "after the fact" law. He is absolutely correct. It will not even be brought into play unless there is a wreck.

This law does not target all sportbike riders. It targets those with less than 2 years of experience. If you don't fall into that category, it shouldn't bother you, anyway.

Note: For those that will not/have not read this entire thread, I stated in an earlier post that the law should encompass ALL motorcycles, not just sportbikes. It's not right to single out one kind of bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
at least the "speed limit" law is effective! RIGHT!
I covered this in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfitzny View Post
I disagree...most people don't think, "Oh...I would totally kill someone, but I don't want to go to prison."
Most get their sense of morality from religion, their upbringing, etc., and NOT from govt. laws.

Is this new law going to generate a new revenue stream? Yes.
Is it going to deter doubling up on a bike without 2 years of experience? Probably not.

I just don't understand why some people are so willing to give up their freedoms. I know this law seems like a small sacrifice, but these laws add up quickly.

"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Thomas Jefferson
True. I have to argue, though, that fewer and fewer people these days have any sense of morality or responsibility. The example of shooting a cager may have been extreme. Is pulling a gun to scare the cager that intentionally swerves at you a better example? No one dies, but it's still against the law. I have seen at least two threads where riders have considered that and the only thing that stopped them was the law against it.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #60
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
It was longer until about 6 years ago. Didn't work.
Hmm...what about a mandatory refresher every "x" years? Maybe make it like a CHL renewal where you go back to class to learn the laws that have changed.

Advertisement