MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #21
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

has there been a rash of people falling off bikes cuz they don't have anything to hold on to? put your arms around my waist!
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BORC Ride...Sunday Sept 1st....yesss Balllllllls Outtttttttt queenmoka Events, Meets and Rides 50 09-01-2013 08:47 PM
UH Football Tailgate: Sept 1st TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 14 09-01-2012 08:40 PM
2009 New Traffic Laws - effective Sept 1 bioGuru Off Topic 30 08-12-2009 03:10 PM
HB to me! hotcknstrips Off Topic 24 02-17-2009 07:55 PM
New Texas Laws in effect Sept 1st. BuellRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-09-2007 01:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #22
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Do love handles count?
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
lisiecki1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Do love handles count?
lol, if they do then i'm waaaayyyyy legal.

, i could have two passengers.

i'd have to install another set of pegs though, to comply the with new law.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Stupid law, passengers should have enough common sense to not ride with some squid.

As far as handholds, I think the "strap" that is found on most rear seats will count.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Stupid law, passengers should have enough common sense to not ride with some squid.

As far as handholds, I think the "strap" that is found on most rear seats will count.
This
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

btw anyone have some photo's of riding 2 up they don't mind being reposted/used for non-profit purposes?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
lisiecki1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post

I didn't even think about that strap.....I can't see holding on to that thing being safe at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Guys, this bill has only passed the House. It has NOT passed the Senate or been signed by Perry.

If you really don't want to see it pass, then identify your Senator and call their office to tell them so!
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Guys, this bill has only passed the House. It has NOT passed the Senate or been signed by Perry.

If you really don't want to see it pass, then identify your Senator and call their office to tell them so!
This.^
The AMA is already active in fighting this but could use our help. E-mail, fax or call your state representative. Keep your responses civil and coherent.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Although I dont agree with the law, its basically protecting young girls from hopping on the back of some squids "gixxer" and getting killed. Doesnt apply to me anyways so lfmao.
^this.

/end thread
Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-No...1&notif_t=wall

Contact your state Rep & Senator, particularly your senator... as this thing has passed the house and is going to the senate. (As an fyi, most out house reps voted yes for this).
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
I didn't even think about that strap.....I can't see holding on to that thing being safe at all.
I wouldn't use it either, but it satisfies a regulation SOMEWHERE lol!
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #33
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Yes inexperienced riders carrying passengers can be a problem but an even bigger and dangerous problem still exists...fat girls. These sport bikes with finely tuned suspension and small seats are simply not designed to safely carry fatties. If they just showed pictures of these types of accidents at MSF courses no one would dare do it. It looks like a barrel of salisbury steak fell off the back of a truck.

Last edited by brandontx; 05-12-2011 at 03:10 PM.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #34
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Yes inexperienced riders carrying passengers can be a problem but an even bigger and dangerous problem still exists...fat girls. These sport bikes with finely tuned suspension and small seats are simply not designed to safely carry fatties. If they just showed pictures of these types of accidents at MSF courses no one would dare do it. It looks like a barrel of salisbury steak fell off the back of a truck.
And then we get sued for upsetting someone's delicate senses. Why do you think they don't show those gross car wrecks in Driver's Ed anymore?

Trust me, it's been discussed, not your "exact" scenario, but similar.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #35
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Although I dont agree with the law, its basically protecting young girls from hopping on the back of some squids "gixxer" and getting killed. Doesnt apply to me anyways so lfmao.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
I absolutely despise feel good laws. This does nothing more than give the illusion of added protection while stripping some of our rights away.
See above. I'm all for natural selection, but sometimes you have to protect the innocents from the stupidity of others. Why is it that people regard safety standards as infringement on their rights? That concept always baffles me. How many motorcycle fatalities involve inexperienced riders? I'll answer that....most of them. A law that will prevent the riders statistically proven more likely to have a fatal crash from carrying passengers and endangering their lives, as well.....I'm all for it. The right to be stupid is protected by the Constitution, but that right should be immediately revoked if the stupidity puts others at risk.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
lisiecki1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Exactly.

See above. I'm all for natural selection, but sometimes you have to protect the innocents from the stupidity of others. Why is it that people regard safety standards as infringement on their rights? That concept always baffles me. How many motorcycle fatalities involve inexperienced riders? I'll answer that....most of them. A law that will prevent the riders statistically proven more likely to have a fatal crash from carrying passengers and endangering their lives, as well.....I'm all for it. The right to be stupid is protected by the Constitution, but that right should be immediately revoked if the stupidity puts others at risk.
that's the problem, the law doesn't actually prevent anything, and in all likely-hood would never be known by the inexperienced rider until after the fact. that's why the judge tells you "ignorance of the law is no excuse". it's not their fault that they didn't let the populous know what all the laws are, it's your fault for not knowing it.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #37
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

you can't legislate stupid
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #38
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Exactly.

And this proposed law accomplishes this........how exactly? It doesn't, doesn't even come close. How is a legal adult riding on the back of a sports bike innocent? How are those grab bars going to save their life in an accident? How does this law save the passenger in an accident just because they (the passenger) has a M endorsement? Or that the driver has 2 years on their M endorsement. It doesn't. So based on your reasoning one can only draw the conclusion that you will not support this law.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #39
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
that's the problem, the law doesn't actually prevent anything, and in all likely-hood would never be known by the inexperienced rider until after the fact. that's why the judge tells you "ignorance of the law is no excuse". it's not their fault that they didn't let the populous know what all the laws are, it's your fault for not knowing it.
You're right...laws don't prevent anything. People will do what they want, regardless of whether or not there is a law against it. I think that there are a lot of people on the fence that will, if this law is enacted, reconsider having a passenger if they do not meet the requirements stated in this law. Will it magically make inexperienced rider fatalities go away? Of course not, but it may drop the number a percentage point or two, and I'll take that over a rise in deaths, any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
And this proposed law accomplishes this........how exactly? It doesn't, doesn't even come close. How is a legal adult riding on the back of a sports bike innocent? How are those grab bars going to save their life in an accident? How does this law save the passenger in an accident just because they (the passenger) has a M endorsement? Or that the driver has 2 years on their M endorsement. It doesn't. So based on your reasoning one can only draw the conclusion that you will not support this law.
See above for your first two sentences. As for the rest...how many people do you know that ride will openly admit that they are inexperienced riders? Do you think some guy trying to impress a girl he's trying to get in bed will say, "No, you can't get on my bike. I've only been riding this R1 for 3 weeks, and I'm not comfortable carrying a passenger." no. Even if she asks, he's going to tell her he's been riding for years. An adult who has made the decision to get on the back of a bike is not innocent, but if they are misled, whose fault is it exactly? Again...see above. It won't completely stop it from happening, but a few conscientious riders will heed the law.

The grab bar thing i don't really understand. Maybe there's a yet-to-be-disclosed statistic about passenger's sliding off the bike during acceleration or during a wheelie. Who knows?

As far as a passenger having their "M" endorsement, I completely understand this. Most people simply do no understand the risks involved in riding a motorcycle. Sure, they know it's dangerous, but if you ask them why they think so, their answer usually involves getting hit by a car. They are unaware of that riding a bike is not like driving a car and do not understand the skills required and the physics (cornering and braking traction, mainly, and the effects of water, debris and passengers on said traction) involved in riding one. I am pretty certain the lawmakers added this part because someone with an "M" endorsement will (typically) have a much better understanding of the risks involved, and are able to make a more well-informed decision about whether or not to get on the back of a bike with someone who is inexperienced.

As for the 2 year requirement before you can carry a passenger? I'm sure studies show that people ride their bikes "X" miles in "Y" time, and those same studies probably show that there is a significant decrease in motorcycle fatalities in riders with >2 years experience. Am I certain of this? Of course not. It's just an educated guess. I see it like the cell phone use in a car law. If you're under 18, you cannot use a wireless communication device and operate a motor vehicle at the same time if the vehicle is in motion. Yes, I know it can be said that the difference is the age limitation, but look at it from the other side. For most people, turning 18 gives them roughly 2 years driving experience.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #40
Paul1098

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Multistrada S
Ducati 916 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-No...1&notif_t=wall

Contact your state Rep & Senator, particularly your senator... as this thing has passed the house and is going to the senate. (As an fyi, most out house reps voted yes for this).
Here's a link to contact your senator. Call or email and maybe this will end up where it belongs....in the trash. (ps, it really helps to be coherent and respectful)

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/Members.htm
Paul1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement