MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
sirkingdirka
Sirkingdirka

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
95 zx6r

backfiring and sputter throughout midrange and accelerating

hey guys, im new here. i bought a completly disassembled 95 zx6r with yoshi slipon and k&n filter and i put everything back together. it ran ok but i think i was running rich in the low end. i went to sync the carbs for the second time after shimming the needles(which helped alot in the low end and didnt seem to mess anything up anywhere else) and the bike started to backfire and sputter in the midrange and some in the high rpms. approx 5k to 9k . i checked my sync and it was good, plugs are a little balck but not as bad as my previous plugs, battery is fully charged, and the carbs were completly cleaned when i first put the bike together. can someone help me out here? any advice? thanks
sirkingdirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati backfiring D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-25-2013 10:37 AM
Crf450x Sputter 3/4 Throttle mekrew How To's and Q & A's 1 05-04-2012 12:46 PM
sluggish idleing and backfiring Alpinestars102 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-28-2011 01:24 AM
Backfiring DvlRacer General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-18-2009 07:46 PM
2001 Bandit slipping when accelerating Nightshade General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-01-2006 02:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Sound like trash in the carbs. I know you said you cleaned them.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

would the black plugs be an indication of still running rich?

not sure, just speculating. Ask Patrick.

/free bump
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
sirkingdirka
Sirkingdirka

Bike(s):
95 zx6r

yea. im going to tear it apart and re clean them again. im going to check the plugs while im at it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
sirkingdirka
Sirkingdirka

Bike(s):
95 zx6r

so i have a situation. the cylinders are 1234 right. looking down into cylinder 2 i can see the valves are slightly down, but none of the other cylinders have valves that are open. all 3 cylinders have closed valves. does this mean that i need a valve adjustment?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Consider going back to stock carb jetting, stock air cleaner, stock heat range on the plugs, and confirm floats are set correct, and gas is new.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
sirkingdirka
Sirkingdirka

Bike(s):
95 zx6r

well i kinda cant do that. when i bought the bike it only came with exhaust, i can go back to stock intake and plugs(although i dont think they are hotter range cr9e) . . . .anyways it doesnt matter, the stupid sparkplug broke in the head. im going to have to tear the whole head apart or buy a new one. just my luck. (and no i im not a noob when it comes to tighting plugs)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I did not mean change the exhaust back, just try to return the intake to stock best you can to see if it helps, stock air filter and check floats, also maybe you have a kinked fuel line, that would not explain a rich condition but could explain hesiatation in mid range and beyond, like intermitantly running out of gas.
My 03 bandit is sensitive to air intake changes, would not run with a K & N until I put on a Yosh pipe, just saying the stock system was once a proven trouble free runner and since the bike was completly disassembled trying got get back to stock to some degree may help. Don't get frustrated it will come around. Simple stuff first no kinks in hoses, no loose electrical connections etc.
May be Re-post how to get a broken spark plug out of the head I am sure it has happened to others. Usually just the ceramic breaks and you still have the nut to turn maybe with some thread lubricant.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
sirkingdirka
Sirkingdirka

Bike(s):
95 zx6r

yea the first thing i did was check the hoses. they seemed fine, no kinks. i set the float to 18mm, 1mm over the recommended 17mm because the bike was running rich. it liked it. yea after taking apart the head and removing the sparkplug, looks like the threads are no good. the sparkplug broke right at the threads, leaving the ceramic part in my hand-really sucked. im getting a new head anyway- the previous owner had cylinder 2 already oversized sparkplug, made it really hard to get a bigger sparkplug grounded down to fit inside the hole. guess its a sign to put in new gaskets, thermostat, adjust valves and new sparkplugs.

Advertisement