MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Xelement..?

Has anyone heard of a brand called Xelement? I already have my alpinestars jacket but really like the design/look/color of this one jacket by Xelement. It's considerably cheaper than the top brands I see so wondering about the safety factor as well.
Found this on leatherup.com, a site I stumbled upon.
The jacket is not leather, it's mesh n textile.

Curious yo know if anyones bought the brand or knows anything about it
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
TheVirus
Original OG
 
TheVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,737

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*








My friend recently purchased one of these jackets. The overall look is great. i like the style. Looking at the jacket in detail it looks like it is well made. But if we are referring to safety factor it is very low, as to be expected with all mesh/textile jackets. 15ft slide and you'll be to your skin.
__________________
The First 48
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!
 
GQ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 11,014

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)


Member Garage





Not true about the 15' slide. Went down on the freeway wearing my mesh/textile Joe Rocket jacket and no part of my skin covered by the jacket was exposed after sliding well over 15' (Thank !). Have you checked out NewEnough.com?
__________________
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie
GQ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Deebo
formerly known as v.viney
 
Deebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 698

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800








I have one. I like my Dianese WAY Better. (I got it for a steal on MH) But I want to say the jacket looks nice, but there is only foam padding, no hard padding. I would deff replace the pads if you want to feel safe in that jacket.
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Has anyone heard of a brand called Xelement? I already have my alpinestars jacket but really like the design/look/color of this one jacket by Xelement. It's considerably cheaper than the top brands I see so wondering about the safety factor as well.
Found this on leatherup.com, a site I stumbled upon.
The jacket is not leather, it's mesh n textile.

Curious yo know if anyones bought the brand or knows anything about it
They're not bad - and for their price, they're a decent value. Think of them as the equivalent of a condom - one time use only.
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
trooper
Time to ride.
 
trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tha hillz
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,657

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic









I have one (leather) I bought from leatherup.com a couple years ago. I always say anything is better than nothing but my experience is that it's cheaply made. Mine has zippered vents and all of the zippers broke within two weeks. Leatherup replaced the first one but when the second one did the same thing they accused of of mistreating the product. Seriously? I asked them how the fck do you mistreat zippers and the rep. hung up on me.

If your on a budget I'd say try CG's new line of Bilt or Sedici, at least they warranty it and from what I've seen they actually stand behind what they sell.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,679

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I have one (leather) I bought from leatherup.com a couple years ago. I always say anything is better than nothing but my experience is that it's cheaply made. Mine has zippered vents and all of the zippers broke within two weeks. Leatherup replaced the first one but when the second one did the same thing they accused of of mistreating the product. Seriously? I asked them how the fck do you mistreat zippers and the rep. hung up on me.

If your on a budget I'd say try CG's new line of Bilt or Sedici, at least they warranty it and from what I've seen they actually stand behind what they sell.
+1. If you're looking for inexpensive gear, I would go with Bilt, Sedici or even Frank Thomas over Xelement. I have had 3 Xelement jackets. The stitching is terrible. If you read enough reviews on their site, you will find this is a common theme.

I would avoid Xelemnt. The stitching on the plastic buckle for the waist adjustment straps came loose on the first one I got. Leatherup replaced it without question. I haven't found any defect in the one they replaced it with yet, but I never wear it anymore. It's hot, the armor is mediocre at best, and it's very stiff. (These were both textile, btw). The second jacket I ordered was mostly mesh with a little textile in the sleeves. Build quality was worse than the first one. The main zipper was broken upon arrival, and the stitching in the mesh that holds the back protector was unraveled enough to allow the back protector to slide out the bottom. I sent that one back, got a refund and bought a Tourmaster full mesh. Twice the price of Xelement, but definitely more than twice the quality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru
 
cuong-nutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 4,569

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250









Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
My friend recently purchased one of these jackets. The overall look is great. i like the style. Looking at the jacket in detail it looks like it is well made. But if we are referring to safety factor it is very low, as to be expected with all mesh/textile jackets. 15ft slide and you'll be to your skin.
Im new to riding, like...2 days new. So thanks for telling me that mesh/textile arent an protective as all textile and leather. I did not knowsss. Well...of course I know leather is the best but I didn't know its considerably less protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
Not true about the 15' slide. Went down on the freeway wearing my mesh/textile Joe Rocket jacket and no part of my skin covered by the jacket was exposed after sliding well over 15' (Thank !). Have you checked out NewEnough.com?
How did you fall? Im so curious to what ppl do so I wont do it. I really dont want road rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.viney View Post
I have one. I like my Dianese WAY Better. (I got it for a steal on MH) But I want to say the jacket looks nice, but there is only foam padding, no hard padding. I would deff replace the pads if you want to feel safe in that jacket.
But But....dianese is so expensive. Its maaaybe 1 dianese or 2 other brands (one better brand and one cheaper brand) I took apart my alpinestars breeze flo jacket and found only hard padding at the elbows and shoulders. The back and forearms are foam/soft padding. Does that sound about right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
They're not bad - and for their price, they're a decent value. Think of them as the equivalent of a condom - one time use only.
Hahahaha. So...if and only if I fall in them should I throw the jacket away. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I have one (leather) I bought from leatherup.com a couple years ago. I always say anything is better than nothing but my experience is that it's cheaply made. Mine has zippered vents and all of the zippers broke within two weeks. Leatherup replaced the first one but when the second one did the same thing they accused of of mistreating the product. Seriously? I asked them how the fck do you mistreat zippers and the rep. hung up on me.
Gah leeeee, what happened to customers are always right?
Hhmmmmmmmmmm. 2 weeks is a bit outrageous. Because of your input im Seriously reconsidering Xelement.

If your on a budget I'd say try CG's new line of Bilt or Sedici, at least they warranty it and from what I've seen they actually stand behind what they sell.
Heyyy!!!! Thanks for telling me this. I think I shall now that I heard about the bad zippers of Xelement. Needed an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
+1. If you're looking for inexpensive gear, I would go with Bilt, Sedici or even Frank Thomas over Xelement. I have had 3 Xelement jackets. The stitching is terrible. If you read enough reviews on their site, you will find this is a common theme.

I would avoid Xelemnt. The stitching on the plastic buckle for the waist adjustment straps came loose on the first one I got. Leatherup replaced it without question. I haven't found any defect in the one they replaced it with yet, but I never wear it anymore. It's hot, the armor is mediocre at best, and it's very stiff. (These were both textile, btw). The second jacket I ordered was mostly mesh with a little textile in the sleeves. Build quality was worse than the first one. The main zipper was broken upon arrival, and the stitching in the mesh that holds the back protector was unraveled enough to allow the back protector to slide out the bottom. I sent that one back, got a refund and bought a Tourmaster full mesh. Twice the price of Xelement, but definitely more than twice the quality.
I want 2 jackets thats why Im looking for a second one that still looks good but as under $100 as possible without compromising quality That much. I was advised to buy mesh since its hot as heck in Houston and summer is upon us. Ive been wearing my boyfriend's Shift textile jacket and its sooooooo gosh darn hot. I dont want problems with my jacket...busting seams, nooo.






Thanks everyone for ya'lls input. I think I'll go to CG for Bilt tomorrow. Saw some female colors there last time. I need female colors. My instructor at Awesome said, "If i'm going to act [and dress] like a ninja. They [cars] are going to treat me like a ninja."
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru
 
cuong-nutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 4,569

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250









Oh. OOOOOOOOPS. I'm signed on under my man's sn.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,679

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







What size is his gear? I have a ladies' Joe Rocket full mesh with a removable insulated liner I could probably sell you on the cheap if it fits. It's gray/black & in good shape. Bought it for a chica that I didn't keep around as long as I thought I would. PM me if you're interested.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
What size is his gear? I have a ladies' Joe Rocket full mesh with a removable insulated liner I could probably sell you on the cheap if it fits. It's gray/black & in good shape. Bought it for a chica that I didn't keep around as long as I thought I would. PM me if you're interested.
I dont know what size but he's 5'11 and 160 lbs. Yes, super skinny, I know. Im fatter than him and much shorter than him but the jacket fits.
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Deebo
formerly known as v.viney
 
Deebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 698

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800








Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
I dont know what size but he's 5'11 and 160 lbs. Yes, super skinny, I know. Im fatter than him and much shorter than him but the jacket fits.
I met your "man" on tuesday. He is a really nice guy. But ya, check out motorcycle superstore. I got my girl a nice textile jacke for $100 form there a couple of weeks ago
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I met your "man" on tuesday. He is a really nice guy. But ya, check out motorcycle superstore. I got my girl a nice textile jacke for $100 form there a couple of weeks ago
I was asking him whose who, tell me motohouston sn but he couldnt. Lol. He only knew your real names and which bike yall had. Guess it's prob because ya'll introduced yourselves with real names.
He's a pretty quiet guy.

Ok, i'll take a look.
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I met your "man" on tuesday. He is a really nice guy. But ya, check out motorcycle superstore. I got my girl a nice textile jacke for $100 form there a couple of weeks ago
I decided NO on the Xelement and went with a Fieldsheer "closeout" jacket.
Bought an extra shoei shield, and some icon gloves all at the store you mentioned, Motorcycle Superstore. Thanks for the recommendation. But no thanks for making me buy more than I came for. Haha. At least it was free shipping? lol
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
motomax629
Retired Baller
 
motomax629's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 388

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
05 Gixxer 1000 (track)
07 Gixxer 600 (track)
Fiddy w88 kit
WR426 TARD
74 H-D Superglide Shovelhead






My wife bought me a Xelement Jacket ...
I came to the conclusion she is trying to kill me.. she used the money saved and upped the life insurance policy!
READ the tags carefully these are basicly made in Pakistan and since camals dont go over 100mph I never wore it the quality felt very cheap, I did put it on and the zipper got stuck....
__________________
I can kick Valentino Rossi's ... In a bar fight!
motomax629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,268


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Fieldsheer is a decent choice IMHO.
I have heard nothing good about BILT or Sidici. Even one of the guys at CycleGear said he was disappointed that they had gone to such a crappy house brand. We agreed it may be the end of CG because if somebody wants some "decent" gear CG pretty much has to order it now.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by motomax629 View Post
My wife bought me a Xelement Jacket ...
I came to the conclusion she is trying to kill me.. she used the money saved and upped the life insurance policy!
READ the tags carefully these are basicly made in Pakistan and since camals dont go over 100mph I never wore it the quality felt very cheap, I did put it on and the zipper got stuck....
Thats hilarious. I think you should return it asap and take a loss on S&H.

Just a note--one of my alpinestars jackets only has foam padding, no hard padding. What the heeeezy. My FieldShear FullShield, whatever its called has a ton of padding of both kids but it sure is heavy. Its has 5 vents (1 on each arm, 1 on each side of my chest, and 1 across my back) and I found it to be kinda bad. Rode to Galveston yesterday and from what my man said, I puffed up like a Marshmallow. I felt the drag and haaaated it!
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #18
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Fieldsheer is a decent choice IMHO.
I have heard nothing good about BILT or Sidici. Even one of the guys at CycleGear said he was disappointed that they had gone to such a crappy house brand. We agreed it may be the end of CG because if somebody wants some "decent" gear CG pretty much has to order it now.
I heard from a guy who quit CG that CG is going to stop selling Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, and other brands.
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
Bart
Thread killer
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 756

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)








I've got an Xelement Jacket from LeatherUp. I got the thick buffalo-skin leather. I can vouch for the bad stitching. One strip of cloth connecting the zipper on the sleeve vent to the leather came shredded upon arrival. Shoulda returned it but didn't. Some of the other zippers tend to hang, but the main one works fine. Stitching one the cuffs is coming loose.

The armour "padding" isn't what I expected; it's some kind of flexible material - harder than what I'd normally call foam, but certainly not a hard plastic. Like, a thick layer of "soft" plastic.

One thing that makes me wonder is the reviews on the site. None of them have bad spelling or grammer - meaning that they're either edited, only the good ones get posted, or they're all just flat out made up. Also they all recommend buying one size up. Well, I did that (bought large I normally wear med) and my jacket catches wind and flaps like no tomorrow. Getting speed-whacked by heavy leather is mildly painful, and throws my balance off. So I suspect that convincing people to buy one size too large is a ploy to get people to buy a 2nd piece when their 1st one is too big.

I will say that my jacket did it's job though. Ate a ditch at around 70; no damage to torso/arms, and only damage to jacket was more loose stitching at the cuff.


* I also bought my gloves from LeatherUp. They were a fraction of the price that I've seen gloves anywhere else - quality is mediocre but they're still real honest-to-goodness motorcycle gloves. Once again I was convinced to buy one size too large, so now I need a 2nd set, but I'll gladly use this site for gloves.
__________________
The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy