MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
tamucc2004

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

Texas Tornado Boot Camp Experience

Thought I would share my experience from the past weekend. Had a blast and so much fun. More pics to come sometime.

So the Camp was absolutely amazing. Had the time of my life. I showed up about 5 PM on Friday and was nervous as . The fact that there was people coming in from Canada and Chicago and even OverSeas didnt help any. And to only make it worse many of these are AMA riders and champion Club riders from all over and school instructors I felt way out of my leauge. lol Good thing there was a few others that were in the same boat as me.

As for instructors you couldnt ask for better.

Two time World Super Bike Champion Colin Edwards. He spent the entire weekend on a bike working with people hands on and was right in the middle of everything. Was amazed at his willingness to help out and watch people learn. And there is nothing better then hear " Yeah Good Job" then turning around and seeing Colin with a smile from ear to ear and giving you two thumbs up when you finally nail a drill or maybe even a sweet wipe out lol.

Mike Meyers, Joe Purssiano, Shea Fouchek, Joe Bodack, and the "King Ding-a-Lings" of flat track Merle and Corby Scherb. Between all of them there is some pretty impressive careers and futures and maybe just a couple of national championships. But one thing is for certain...these guys can ride a bike and are more than willing to share all their knowledge if you are willing to learn.

When you arrive at the camp you are met with nothing but smiling faces. Some of the lovely ladies will get you signed in and directed to your room where there is a gear bag with everything you will need. Boots, pants, helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey, and most importantly knee pads lol. The rooms are also very nice with comfortable beds and great accommodation, anything and everything you could ask for.

Friday night after a amazing dinner...Trust me you wont go away hungry. We got the chance to go do a little riding. We were split into two groups. Both groups were riding under the pavilion on slick red dirt/clay that was like riding on ice. We ran both a small oval and a laid out course. This gave the instructors a chance to see everyones skill level and be put into two groups to start. Also gave some of us a first taste of the dirt. I managed to get that experience 4 times in the first hour first night lol. But I was already watch and trying to learn and try new things. But the cold beer that followed helped wash the dirt down and heal my ego a little. There is plenty of cold beer to drink and great company to drink it with as long as you follow the rule of no motors after you crack one open which I was fine with. I was already hurting.

Come Saturday we had the most beautiful perfect day. Little sore getting out of bed already but the excitement help me thru. The morning was filled with fun and learning. They break the camp down into drills focusing on the entry then mid turn then exit. In addition to the pavilion there was a sandy TT track and a oval track with a small really sandy TT section in the middle.

Some of the drills we ran worked on teaching to trust the brakes. Run hard at a turn and brake with the front, some times with the left hand on the gas cap. Other times we would run the track and tires would be places on the race line. This helped alter lines and find new ones. Also with the left hand on the gas cap at times. This really taught you to use your body and knees to steer and not muscle it all the time. One of my favorites was the 90 degree drill where you had to use the rear brake to spin the bike 90 degree around a hay bail and drive to the next to spin the other way while never touching the ground. This was one of a few drills that Colin said was so fun in the "pursuit of perfection".

Lots and lots of water was drank during the day and one more aspect of the day I loved was that during a break there was other things to do. So after lunch we were able to go shoot guns at the guns range. Sat was Pistol day. We started out with some .22's and moved up to 9mm, 357 mags and a sweet .45 Kimber. I think I may have done OK and got a "Good Shooting Tex" from Colin was amazing! After this short break back to riding and learning.

One of the biggest miss conceptions I had about this camp and I think many people do is that it is about riding dirt or dirt bikes. That is the farthest from the truth. But to me the one thing I have always heard is "SMOOTH IS FAST" and I tell you what if you are not smooth on a ttr125 with dirt front and street rear tire out there. You will pay. I learned that lesson 18 times. lol But many of the drills if not all are designed to teach you this. It is stressed that anytime you are not putting input into the bike is time being lost. You need to either be on the brakes or throttle, even if steady pressure but always some input. And it also has to be smooth or else. Chop/slam the brakes throttle and end up on the ground....trust me 18 times lol

Then one of the fun times is at the end of the day s Super Pole. This puts all three tracks together is a race against the clock. Well I learned that you cant be WOT and grab the front brakes at the same time. But got a second chance. Made it around the second time only to get beat by some 13,12,7, and yes even a 5 yr old kid on a 1 speed 1 brake pw50. But when that kids last name is Edwards it didnt hurt my feeling to bad lol.

Sat night consisted of some mouth watering country BBQ and great friendship. All the instructors also gave a great lecture on suspension and settings and tires that rapped up just in time for the races. and some more cold beer.

Sunday morning was much the same. Back to riding but focusing more on the corner exit and putting together everything we had learned. One of the other biggest aspects I liked is there is no one forcing you to do anything you dont want to do. I banged up both my wrist pretty bad in the last Super Pole wreck the night before and could barely move the left one or pull a clutch in. There was no pressure just sit back and watch and jump in when ready. Then thanks to Linz he told me to go down to the oval where Bodack had a new to riding kid. So after a little ride the wrist was getting looser. Then Linz took me for a little trail ride and ride thru the motocross track and I started feeling better. After some more riding I went in and jumped in on the other group to work on what I skipped in the morning. Fouchek and Purssiano were more than happy to have me and work with me.

After lunch we were pleasantly surprised with a exhibition from the Scherb Brothers. They broke out their Honda 450 dirt track bike and showed us what they do best. Going sideways around a track inches away from each other. Pure of steel. lol

This was followed by another run of the super pole and getting smoked by a five yr old once again. lol But so much fun non the less. Then after lunch the infamous question was asked by Colin..."who wants to shoot the big gun?" So back to the gun range we went and got to shoot a .50 cal rifle and drill a bulls eye and talk a little trash. Perfect end to a amazing weekend.

I cant say enough good things about the camp. It is definitely a family environment and they all make you feel like you are one of theirs. Everyone is willing to help in any way and share all the knowledge they can. It is so much more that just riding on the dirt. Heck Colin has been doing it since he was 4 and still does for practice as do many other MotoGP riders so there has to be some good in it IMHO race lines and how to choose them can be taught anywhere. But smoothness and finess on the brakes and throttle and how to make the transition and put constant input into the bike is best learned just how the Texas Tornado Boot camp does it. Plus when you you go down it is on their bike and not yours.

In my opinion it is worth way more than the price paid.

When you figure other camps you use your bike, tires, fuel, pay for food, gas to travel, hotel, damages if you go down just to name a few. They add up to way more than the cost of this camp.

But the one priceless thing is the friendship made and the memories. I cant wait to go back.

I cannot thank Linz for posting up pics and stories that convinced me to go check it out. Or all the staff and instructors and family of instructors. Including the kids that blew me away all weekend. For a much needed and much enjoyed experience. I will definitely be back.

http://www.texastornadobootcamp.com/the-camps/
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Tornado Boot Camp jimrad Events, Meets and Rides 80 03-02-2012 06:06 PM
Even More Fun At CEII's Texas Tornado Boot Camp Racer997 Taking it to the Track 10 03-28-2011 12:14 PM
Texas Tornado Boot Camp 3-6-2011 Ken Fontenot General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-13-2011 06:17 PM
Colin Edwards' Texas Tornado Boot Camp! Racer997 Taking it to the Track 19 02-15-2011 08:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

That worked a little better Mods can you please delete the second post?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Sounds sweet! How much does it run?
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
Sounds sweet! How much does it run?
-Cody
$1250 for the 2 day camp, everything and i mean everything is included with this price. i've had the time of my life 2 times now. we probably got around 14 hours of seat time, if you can stand it with sore body parts, you could ride even more than that.

it was great to meet you Chris, it was great riding with you and i hope i wasn't too harsh with you, it's what i do, i love to mess with people.

i'll be going back later in the year, it's an absolute blast of a weekend.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
ouch. $1250 is a new suit :(

I'd rather it be half price and nothing included...haha.

I've wanted to do it, but the price is holding me back.

Sounds/looks like an awesome time!
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

Very coo, Chris

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Great write up, going to add this to my list of stuff to do.

Thanks,

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
i love to mess with people.
Bully
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I still haven't processed and uploaded most of the pix. Here are a few, though.

i FBfcvgZ XL

i c6mV5v5 XL

i VBggj6q XL

i 3dBvCxF XL

i HC7kd3R XL

i 4xqx2nr XL

i CLBQ4LS XL

i zBhQFrk XL

i rjfgp8c XL

i n8P78fk XL

i gPPC8Jk XL

i K5fmXDg XL

i knBkdWZ XL
Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Sounds like a lot of fun! Time at the range is included??
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
$1250 for the 2 day camp, everything and i mean everything is included with this price. i've had the time of my life 2 times now. we probably got around 14 hours of seat time, if you can stand it with sore body parts, you could ride even more than that.

it was great to meet you Chris, it was great riding with you and i hope i wasn't too harsh with you, it's what i do, i love to mess with people.

i'll be going back later in the year, it's an absolute blast of a weekend.
No Prob I got tough skin lol. Wait till I find that 15 seconds on the super pole I need and Ill be talking plenty lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
ouch. $1250 is a new suit :(

I'd rather it be half price and nothing included...haha.

I've wanted to do it, but the price is holding me back.

Sounds/looks like an awesome time!
-Cody
It is at first site but when you figure you are wrecking his bikes, staying there, food, drinks, beer, ammo,(we shot alot) lol and all the fact that it is right outside houston it is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Great write up, going to add this to my list of stuff to do.

Thanks,

Staton
Yeah I will definitely be back. We should get a big Houston group together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Travis+ View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun! Time at the range is included??
Yes sir once you are out there you never have to touch your wallet once.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
YOu missed one

2qwmyp3
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Dam Chris you didnt leave me much to say, I had a awesome time, it doesent get any better thaqn this guys, it might seem expensive but when U factor in everything its really quite a bargain, and U will get in all the riding U can handle, just hanging with the family and instructors is awesome all by itself, this is a MUST DO, where else can U hang with 2 time world champion and a great bunch of instructors, and get your azz handed to U by a 5yo? thanks guys for everyone involved it was a lifetime experience and its 25 miles from my house, there are people flying here from all over the world to experience this, they are easily spending twice what we here afre lucky to have in our own backyard and where else are U gonna have the World Champions wife call U up to make sure U are coming to spend the weekend with them? I was stocked just hearing from her the day before Colon U better watch your step son
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

it still bothers me that the boot camp is about 2 miles from me and i havent gone. i think the price will always hold me back, but i'd love to go see what my neighbor is up to.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
it still bothers me that the boot camp is about 2 miles from me and i havent gone. i think the price will always hold me back, but i'd love to go see what my neighbor is up to.
U prolly hear the cannon going off then, save your money, my wife and daughter went to a camp this weekend and spent over $800
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

that 50 prob shakes the ground at his House. That gun was a blast to shoot. Colin asked who wants to go first......not a sound lol......Want to see it go off first? and everyone said yes. Then it was on and everyone wanted a shot haha
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamucc2004 View Post
that 50 prob shakes the ground at his House. That gun was a blast to shoot. Colin asked who wants to go first......not a sound lol......Want to see it go off first? and everyone said yes. Then it was on and everyone wanted a shot haha
Right, He was telling us last event there were 6 guys who backed out of shooting it after they seen it shot 1 time obviously they werent from TEXAS
Old 05-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
tamucc2004

Bike(s):

lol And about the little 14 yr old girl that stepped up and wanted to shoot when a bunch of grown men were stepping back lol