Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Question For those that ride MX tracks

So I recently acquired a 2009 YZ250F. I took the bike to Ultimate MX this past Saturday to take it for a spin, all I can say is WOW!!!! The bike is amazing, I had a 2005 RMZ250 at some point and the bike does not compare at all, the YZ feels way better.

Anyway, I noticed that the YZ only has 4 gears, my question is - When riding at the track do you use all 4 gears or just from 2nd to 4th? On Saturday I tried both ways but it seems that when exiting in first the bike seems too forced but, when I go out in second, I feel like I am coming to high.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am fairly new to the dirt and MX especially so any help would be appreciated
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt ride 2/21 MX or SHNF? BYRDMAN Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 02-21-2014 11:12 AM
MX Tuesday Anyone want to ride.? Ek Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 7 07-22-2013 10:29 PM
Ultimate mx or Skeeter mx? mxrider14 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 07-14-2013 02:03 PM
Mx and Pitbike Race Sat 25th Ulitmate MX SMOKEUM28 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 06-24-2011 09:41 AM
tracks? places to ride? casey10 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 06-14-2010 07:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
So I recently acquired a 2009 YZ250F. I took the bike to Ultimate MX this past Saturday to take it for a spin, all I can say is WOW!!!! The bike is amazing, I had a 2005 RMZ250 at some point and the bike does not compare at all, the YZ feels way better.

Anyway, I noticed that the YZ only has 4 gears, my question is - When riding at the track do you use all 4 gears or just from 2nd to 4th? On Saturday I tried both ways but it seems that when exiting in first the bike seems too forced but, when I go out in second, I feel like I am coming to high.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am fairly new to the dirt and MX especially so any help would be appreciated
That's a hard question to answer. If your about to bounce off the rev limiter then click up a gear and see how it feels. What's great about those 4 strokes is the torque. Try coming into the turn in the higher gear and carry more speed and let the motor shine.

Don't be afraid to rev the outta those bikes either. They like to be abused and are built to take it.

Either way, unless it's a super tight inside rut, you should almost never need to get down into first. Granted have not ridden a 250f with a 4 speed tranny but in my experience with any bike i've ever ridden, first gear is almost never used unless i'm putting around the pits.

Lastly, every track and every turn is different. Once you get used to the bike and power delievery, you'll get a feel for what the bike likes to do in every corner on every track you ride.

You can also play around with adding or subtracting teeth on the rear sprocket. Smaller tighter tracks usually benefit from adding a tooth or two to the rear while the faster wide open tracks might favor tooth or two less.

Hope i could help a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Thank you, Kyle. It does help. I think I need to get used to riding in the dirt.

BTW, I can see why Danny likes riding in the dirt now, I spent 20 bucks to enter the track, 20 bucks gas and about 10 bucks for water and a sandwich. 50 bucks to ride all day!!!!!

My body is aching still, though.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Thank you, Kyle. It does help. I think I need to get used to riding in the dirt.

BTW, I can see why Danny likes riding in the dirt now, I spent 20 bucks to enter the track, 20 bucks gas and about 10 bucks for water and a sandwich. 50 bucks to ride all day!!!!!

Go do the Texas Tornado Boot Camp, it will help you a lot.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:

I don't know much about 4 strokes, but 1st gear on a MX track is almost unheard of....I RARELY even use 1st in the tightest of the tight woods we race. Now come try out a hare scramble sooner than later and you'll really be hooked on this dirt stuff! Unfortunately, due to other obligations I can't make the May race, but will be trying to make it out for the June race if you're interested. Congrats on the new bike dude!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

I am not sure riding a 4 speed motocross bike in a hare scramble will be good for the engine but, I'll try it once for sure. I can do May anyways so, June sounds pretty good.

Alberto, I will ride the camp before I retire for sure How was it? Did your kid like it?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Irak, whenever you want to run the woods...let me know. you too danny. also, keep me in mind before loading up towards the mx track.

Also, can i try out your 09? i'm curious about the changes that i might not expect over 5 years of technology. i'll let you try out my 04 kxf which is basically your old rmz. you can see if its the same or not...you might have had a few issues...i know this 04 still does, but the problems are really getting ironed out and the bike is quickly becoming my favorite.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:

No problem. Also, another helpful tip about MX track riding incase you havn't been told already, is grip the bike with your knees. It makes a HUGE difference in your over all bike control around the track and even in the air. Plus it takes ALOT of strain off of your forearms and hands. Basically loosens up the "death grip" which ultimately helps with getting arm pump and being able to pound out another lap or two before you feel like you have to pull off.

Congrats on the bike, MX is addicting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
I am not sure riding a 4 speed motocross bike in a hare scramble will be good for the engine but, I'll try it once for sure. I can do May anyways so, June sounds pretty good.

Alberto, I will ride the camp before I retire for sure How was it? Did your kid like it?
Taking my kid the 20th, i went by myself this time with James and Tim. It was awesome, i think i only crashed 8 times but well worth it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

two dvds that i recently had the opportunity to watch:

Dirtwise with Shane Watts

Off Road: The Ultimate How-To Starring Nathan Woods

both did a great job with teaching, explaining, and showing you the fundamentals.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Irak, whenever you want to run the woods...let me know. you too danny. also, keep me in mind before loading up towards the mx track.
will do, but no play time in my near future. on mandatory OT at the office through the end of May and building fences every weekend through May as well. Life's a sometimes.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
ileono918
On hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I think I'll be riding on Memorial day, Cliff. I'll let you know, we could go to a track near the both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
...is grip the bike with your knees. It makes a HUGE difference in your over all bike control around the track and even in the air.
That is good to know, I was taking a beat on my hands. I will try it next time I go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Taking my kid the 20th, i went by myself this time with James and Tim. It was awesome, i think i only crashed 8 times but well worth it.
Who won?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:

you'll be fine....I rarely leave 3rd gear as well...sometimes, but only in wide open straights. Most of the races are 90% 2nd and 3rd gear for me.

Advertisement