Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Now if they will just start enforcing the left lane is for passing law...

amen

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy Tow Truck Drivers ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 10-22-2009 10:56 AM
i need a tow truck Kodak Off Topic 34 05-20-2009 01:06 PM
Who needs a truck when you can just use a tow bike GraemePC General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 10-23-2008 06:07 PM
need tow truck linjy2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 02-28-2006 01:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
moduleum

Feedback Rating: (0)

I would probably slow down anyway if they were parked on the side of the road doing something productive. However, I still don't understand why multiple tow trucks will line up (sometimes on the opposite side of the road) at an accident when there is clearly a tow truck already helping with the incident. WTF is the point of this? They'll just pull up on curbs like they own the highway. Hopefully someone can come in and explain this to me.

Tow trucks think of themselves as cops and, as a result, think they own the road. There have been several instances where tow trucks have tailgated me and angrily sped around me to get to wherever they're going, endangering the lives of those around them to make a buck. Sure, I can understand that you want to be the first on the scene to put food on your table, but don't endanger the lives of others getting there.

If you have to speed to be the first on scene, maybe you need to take a step back and realize that....THERE ARE ALREADY TOO MANY FACKING TOW TRUCK DRIVERS IN THIS CITY.
moduleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
O im sure tow truck drivers will obey that traffic law.... POINTLESS
wha....huh? Did you read it?
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moduleum View Post
I would probably slow down anyway if they were parked on the side of the road doing something productive. However, I still don't understand why multiple tow trucks will line up (sometimes on the opposite side of the road) at an accident when there is clearly a tow truck already helping with the incident. WTF is the point of this? They'll just pull up on curbs like they own the highway. Hopefully someone can come in and explain this to me.

Tow trucks think of themselves as cops and, as a result, think they own the road. There have been several instances where tow trucks have tailgated me and angrily sped around me to get to wherever they're going, endangering the lives of those around them to make a buck. Sure, I can understand that you want to be the first on the scene to put food on your table, but don't endanger the lives of others getting there.

If you have to speed to be the first on scene, maybe you need to take a step back and realize that....THERE ARE ALREADY TOO MANY FACKING TOW TRUCK DRIVERS IN THIS CITY.
First on scene doesn't automatically get the tow in Houston anymore. They draw straws or flip coins to see who gets it. Houston implemented that a few years ago so they wouldn't feel like they had to haul to an accident scene. Didn't work very well, though.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

tow

have you guys heard the "FREE and CLEAR" highway stranded assistant, it is no longer "FREE"

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
wha....huh? Did you read it?
now I did. but honestly.... them! Tow truck drivers dont give a about any other drivers and already drive wayyyy out of control.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
now I did. but honestly.... them! Tow truck drivers dont give a about any other drivers and already drive wayyyy out of control.
I agree. Tow drivers and cabbies are the worst friggin drivers around. I don't understand it.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
It's 35mph? I thought it was 20 under posted. Either way, it's a good law. Problem is that people in Texas can't drive. Even if someone slows down, someone next to them will say, "Ooh! Gap in traffic!" and move into the lane without slowing down.

I wish there was a double fine when LEO pulls someone over and they stop on the left shoulder. Dangerous & stupid.
well thats what i remember when i took defensive driving like 8years ago lol so im sure it changed. I just never drive/ride near who ever is pulled over to the side regardless.
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
moduleum

Quote:
First on scene doesn't automatically get the tow in Houston anymore. They draw straws or flip coins to see who gets it. Houston implemented that a few years ago so they wouldn't feel like they had to haul to an accident scene. Didn't work very well, though.
Hrm...thanks for the clarification.

That seems like a ridiculously silly law though. I believe it should be first on the scene and tow truck drivers should just obey the laws.
moduleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #30
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3sl3h View Post
well thats what i remember when i took defensive driving like 8years ago lol so im sure it changed. I just never drive/ride near who ever is pulled over to the side regardless.
+1

I always move over if there's room in the next lane. I don't want to be the one taking some poor fella's head off when he falls backwards into traffic trying to pull off a flat tire.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #31
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
It's 35mph? I thought it was 20 under posted. Either way, it's a good law. Problem is that people in Texas can't drive. Even if someone slows down, someone next to them will say, "Ooh! Gap in traffic!" and move into the lane without slowing down.

I wish there was a double fine when LEO pulls someone over and they stop on the left shoulder. Dangerous & stupid.
You are correct on the 20 under as well as the pulling to the right taught during Driver's Ed

HOWEVER

The last two officers that have pulled me over have made it VERY clear that they wanted me to pull to the left shoulder. One said it was safer for him, the other said it only made sense because he was already on the left.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #32
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
those videos are the reason I try not to even pull over on the freeway. There have been times where it has been unavoidable, but I will often signal and get off at the first exit and find a parking lot... I'd rather explain to the officer why it took my a while to pull over than to get creamed by some asshat who isn't paying attention.
one time... after working on the bike, I rode down hwy6 going towards clay rd from bellaire.. after passing I-10 on the overpass, bike died.. (Forgot to switch the fuel to "ON" and it was off.. ) bike died in the middle of hwy6 just after the hump. I didn't have room to go to the shoulder because a feeder merge was right there and I didn't have speed to move over.. OMG my pants feeling.. then I had to walk it to the shoulder..
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #33
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by moduleum View Post
Hrm...thanks for the clarification.

That seems like a ridiculously silly law though. I believe it should be first on the scene and tow truck drivers should just obey the laws.
Need to put them on a rota system like we had back in Colorado. Cop calls for the tow, dispatcher calls the next truck in line. Don't show up in 30 minutes, you go to the end of the line and the next truck gets a call.

You had to be on the list, and they had seperate lists for city, state and counties.

Stopped all the stupid racing around town and 15 trucks sitting on the shoulder trying to get the tow. Also stopped the rinkydink companies since you had to have your ducks in a row to get on the list. You also knew when you could take a break for food and a shower or nap... unless it was winter then you didn't get a break...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Now if they will just start enforcing the left lane is for passing law...
-Cody

Last edited by exalted512; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
I agree. Tow drivers and cabbies are the worst friggin drivers around. I don't understand it.
Working at the airport I deal with cabbies everyday. Some of those guys don't even stop at stop signs....you really have to watch out for them.

Advertisement