Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Texas Move Over Law now includes Tow Truck Drivers.

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Motorists could face new penalties for passing tow trucks on the highway unless they slowed down or changed lanes.Without any debate, the Texas House unanimously approved legislation Wednesday adding tow trucks to the law requiring motorists to move over or slow down when passing law enforcement or emergency vehicles, such as police cars or ambulances. The tow trucks would have to have their emergency lights flashing.Motorists who violate the law would face a fine of up to $200 akin to a speeding ticket or more if the violation causes an accident and causes property or bodily damage.Advocates say the bill, pushed by towing interests, is needed to protect tow truck operators who routinely work in extremely dangerous conditions on Texas highways.
Yup, I will continue on my merry way, they can choose another lane and go around me. After all the ones that have nearly run me off the road and driven like douches. them.

They are not emergency vehicles, vultures.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy Tow Truck Drivers ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 10-22-2009 10:56 AM
i need a tow truck Kodak Off Topic 34 05-20-2009 01:06 PM
Who needs a truck when you can just use a tow bike GraemePC General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 10-23-2008 06:07 PM
need tow truck linjy2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 02-28-2006 01:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Isn't this if they are on the side of the road? If you're going to continue in the lane next to the shoulder you're required to slow down. If you don't want to slow down - you have to move over one lane to the left. I don't think it's talking about them passing you. Do I have this right?
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Isn't this if they are on the side of the road? If you're going to continue in the lane next to the shoulder you're required to slow down. If you don't want to slow down - you have to move over one lane to the left. I don't think it's talking about them passing you. Do I have this right?
thats what i was thinking. if thats the case, the law makes perfect sense.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Trackdays: 3

Hmmm, guess I misread it. Just kinda since I almost got nail by another tow truck driver speeding or doing something generally stupid twice in a few hours.

Reading comprehension fail.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Love it when I see a tow truck driver pulled over by LEO. Doesn't happen often, but I love it when I see it!
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Yea that's what I was thinking.

and you gotta slow it down to 35mph. Sometimes they got cops in front waiting for the people who don't slow it down and they will give them a speeding ticket
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Now if they will just start enforcing the left lane is for passing law...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Yeah - that'll happen...
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

People should be slowing down for anyone on the side of the road, LEO, tow truck, or even your average citizen. Anyone who's ever had the nerve wracking experience of having to change a tire on the side of a freeway will agree.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3sl3h View Post

and you gotta slow it down to 35mph. Sometimes they got cops in front waiting for the people who don't slow it down and they will give them a speeding ticket
It's 35mph? I thought it was 20 under posted. Either way, it's a good law. Problem is that people in Texas can't drive. Even if someone slows down, someone next to them will say, "Ooh! Gap in traffic!" and move into the lane without slowing down.

I wish there was a double fine when LEO pulls someone over and they stop on the left shoulder. Dangerous & stupid.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

don't you mean right shoulder? Left shoulder puts the LEO up against the barracade when he walks to the drivers side.
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I wish there was a double fine when LEO pulls someone over and they stop on the left shoulder. Dangerous & stupid.
Or when someone pulls over just after an overpass..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
People should be slowing down for anyone on the side of the road, LEO, tow truck, or even your average citizen. Anyone who's ever had the nerve wracking experience of having to change a tire on the side of a freeway will agree.
That's the way I've always felt about it. I'm always afraid some small child will dart out or something and then I would feel bad for the rest of my life. Then you see those police videos on TV where the cop has the person pulled over and some idiot slams into them because they were texting or falling asleep.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
That's the way I've always felt about it. I'm always afraid some small child will dart out or something and then I would feel bad for the rest of my life. Then you see those police videos on TV where the cop has the person pulled over and some idiot slams into them because they were texting or falling asleep.
those videos are the reason I try not to even pull over on the freeway. There have been times where it has been unavoidable, but I will often signal and get off at the first exit and find a parking lot... I'd rather explain to the officer why it took my a while to pull over than to get creamed by some asshat who isn't paying attention.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
those videos are the reason I try not to even pull over on the freeway. There have been times where it has been unavoidable, but I will often signal and get off at the first exit and find a parking lot... I'd rather explain to the officer why it took my a while to pull over than to get creamed by some asshat who isn't paying attention.
In the couple times I've been pulled over, I usually put my hazard lights on to acknowledge that they're behind me, and do the same.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

honestly I think its a great law.... when I was in my wreck on 45, the tow truck driver was at an angle trying to hook up the other car and cars were just flying right by going 70 mph, inches from the tow trucks front bumper...

if a tow truck activates its lights you would have to either be going 20 under the speed limit (generally except on city streets) or move over an extra lane if your going full speed... how bad is that in general really? imagine if that was your disabled car they were trying to hook up.... its for their and everyones safety so....
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3sl3h View Post

i believe it is 20mph below posted speed limit. i could be wrong tho.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

O im sure tow truck drivers will obey that traffic law.... POINTLESS
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
don't you mean right shoulder? Left shoulder puts the LEO up against the barracade when he walks to the drivers side.
No...I meant left shoulder. LEO may be against the barricade, but there's no room for error on the left shoulder. A car stopped on the left shoulder with enough room for the LEO to approach the driver's side usually leaves a foot or less of room between the passenger's side of the car and traffic in the fast lane, and even then, the LEO is touching the barricade or the car for lack of room. There are very few places in Houston that have a large enough left shoulder to allow for a margin of error. The left shoulder is for emergency stopping only. Getting pulled over is not an emergency and it puts you and the LEO at risk. Has everyone forgotten driver's ed? When an emergency or law enforcement vehicle is behind you with lights and sirens, you are supposed to move to the right and slow down. There is usually a grassy median between the right shoulder and the feeder road, allowing for more room to get your vehicle away from traffic. Safer for all, that way.

Quote:
Didn't get me out of the ticket, but it helped. The trooper only wrote it for 15 over instead of my actual speed (35 over) and thanked me for pulling off the roadway.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
AMEN!!
typehxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement