MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #61
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowell View Post
Go to a track and watch some of these guys on a 250. Switch, and Unswift are examples (Granted I haven't seen Unswift ride yet)...
Switch is the man on the 250, but I think I can keep up him... on my 600. Which I think is Nowell's point.

A middle ground between the 250 and the full on SS 600 is something like a sv650.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOOB RIDE: "FOREST START" Thursday, 17Apr14 TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 12 04-17-2014 10:41 PM
"Matrix" Style Learning: A Reality? Senator Off Topic 5 12-14-2011 10:46 AM
"Life Style Change" ryanp77 Health and Fitness 36 04-28-2009 01:01 PM
"Lean Wit It" Teletubbies style jrock Off Topic 7 10-13-2006 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #62
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

I started on a 636. I replaced underwear like 3 times a day. I was young I was stupid. I should not be here today.
Start on what you want. The only thing alot of us will share is this. If you have the power you will use it. You can preach all day about self control. But somone is going to blow by you or you off. You will use it. And on that day I pray that you have enough miles under you to control it.
Guys here are right though the rider makes the bike not the other way around. I can keep up with most 1k bikes all day (street). And have been schooled by guys on a 250.
What ever you do. Please remember that bike is a casket waiting to see if you are dumb enough to lay down with it.
Good luck with the selection post pics with what ever you finally decide on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #63
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I've been riding since october on my 250, and I'm glad I went with it. It is ludicrously forgiving of noob mistakes and it is cheap in the good sense. It is a "real" bike though. It is more capable than I am, and likely will remain that way for a good long while.

It is forgiving because the only thing about it that responds instantly is the steering. An additional benefit is it makes you work, hard. I know my gearbox, throttle, and brakes at least three times better than I would if I started on a larger bike. A 250 just needs more of each than a 600, and so you get more practice doing all the things that are unique to motorcycles and that you won't know as a new rider.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #64
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingo View Post
I'm pretty much through the crazy phase of my life, I'm 23 going on 24 and just trying to start my life, no need to act a fool and end it before I get to live it you know?
You're never too old to succumb to peer pressure. It's one thing to admit here that your don't have much experience, but it's much harder when you're with a group of people you don't know. You show up on a 600 and most will assume you have a little time in the saddle. If you go on a ride, they will assume you can keep up. What's worse than them assuming is that, regardless of how mature and resilient you think you are, you will find yourself trying to match their pace. You can still ride outside your skill level on a 250, but you won't get nearly as far out as you will on a 600.

There's a good thread someone posted a few months ago about riding outside his skill level with a group on Racer's Road. He did an excellent job on the writeup of his experience, including very elaborate details of his mistakes and the resulting crash. I'll try to find the thread for you.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #65
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Here ya go.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=breakfast
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #66
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I purchased a 600 and sold that and bought a 250. The 250 is a fun bike to ride. Granted I am not "cool" like the guys with their bigger bikes but I didn't buy a bike to be "cool". I ride because I like it. Not to fit in.

I do fine on the highways riding and commute on the bike to work almost daily. Overtaking cars on the 250 is a different story but if you really need to be than you are really going too fast.

Again, this is your FIRST bike. NOT your LAST.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #67
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I purchased a 600 and sold that and bought a 250. The 250 is a fun bike to ride. Granted I am not "cool" like the guys with their bigger bikes but I didn't buy a bike to be "cool". I ride because I like it. Not to fit in.

I do fine on the highways riding and commute on the bike to work almost daily. Overtaking cars on the 250 is a different story but if you really need to be than you are really going too fast.

Again, this is your FIRST bike. NOT your LAST.
You are mistaken, we do think you are cool and as much or more than us. You knew your limitations and you chose what was best for you vs trying to look like everyone else. I commend you sir.

Quote:
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #68
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
pinball.......

your avatar says bad influence but here you are being helpful

LIAR!!!!!

Quote:
GIVE IT TO ME!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #69
Greg in H-town

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZZR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingo View Post
That's one thing I like about Suzuki is the option for the drive modes, the styling, (minus the one headlight deal). I'll figure it out once I get some seat time on a 250 this weekend and feel out the bike and throttle response and all of that. As I stated before, I have no idea what I'm going to do yet, leaning towards a Suzu 600, but may downsize to the Ninja 250R, I'm not set on either or, until after I take the MSF course.
You're not going to learn anything about a 250 in MSF class. You'll spend the time putting around in a parking lot and be lucky to get out of 2nd gear. Until you get a chance to wind up the mill on a Ninja 250, you'll think it's a dog just like all other 250s. In reality, it runs best around 8-10k rpm and will go faster than a new rider has any business going. Sometimes I wish I had mine back; it was a great commuter and could go from here to Alaska on a single tank (almost).
Greg in H-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #70
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleassassin View Post
pinball.......

your avatar says bad influence but here you are being helpful

LIAR!!!!!

I know, I know. I hate to contradict my moniker, but when it comes to safety, I have a soft spot.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #71
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Granted I am not "cool" like the guys with their bigger bikes but I didn't buy a bike to be "cool". I ride because I like it. Not to fit in.
You're cooler than you think. But "really cool" is passing a 600 while on a 250 around the track because the 600 rider is scared to death and keeps parking it in the corners.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #72
Nowell

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2010 ZX-6R
07 DRZ400 SM SOLD!
96 VS800 Intruder Bobber (rat bike from ) SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
You're cooler than you think. But "really cool" is passing a 600 while on a 250 around the track because the 600 rider is scared to death and keeps parking it in the corners.
, and I thought you weren't watching!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds for the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end."
Nowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #73
TylerRR

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000rr - SOLD
2009 CBR1000rr ABS - SOLD

Get a 250 and learn. Make mistakes and learn from them. Gain experience.

In the long run, I find it hard to ever regret getting a 250 when your are many years older and still riding...
TylerRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #74
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

I had a longer response written, but the site wouldn't allow it b/c it was too long, even after I chopped off paragraphs over and over.

Anyway, this may go a long way towards answering the actual question.

My first bike was a Katana 750; I didn't know if it was "easy" to ride compared to other bikes b/c I hadn't ridden them. I wrecked that bike a couple months ago, and just last week bought a new toy which just so happens to be a 600 SS (super-sport) like the one in question.

Frankly, I'm really not diggin on it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike - 2005 Yamaha R6 - it's just not what trips my trigger so to speak. The wheelbase is very short; I feel like I'm practically sitting on top of the front wheel, whereas I'm used to having it out in front of me where I could do a "normal" turn. There's more of my body in contact with the gas tank than the seat. The handlebars are short and tilted down. Basically I'm doing a push-up on the handlebars just to support my weight, which combined with having the front tire right underneath me makes the bike challenging to turn.

The bike is capable of performing with stunning capacity. Downside is it's very sensitive - every part of your body is involved in every proceedure, including very simple things. If you're off by just a hair, you eat asphalt. Period. This IS a racing bike. It's not designed for comfort or commuting. Even with 1 year and 8000+ miles of experience, I'm not experienced enough to handle this machine. I ride like an old Grandpa, especially around turns, including easy ones. If you have zero experience, this should tell you something.

For this reason I'd say it's a lousy beginner bike. Performing simple maneuvers requires some degree of advanced technique on SS bikes, even the 600's. Learning to ride requires time, and you'll want to learn on something that's comfortable and easy. Also these SS bikes aren't designed for enjoyable daily riding - again, they're designed as racing bikes. My old bike had a centerstand, truly invaluable for simple maintenance. It had a fuel gauge with a reserve tank, instead of just a "low fuel" light - the latter being an "out of gas at the wrong time and place" situation waiting to happen. The footpegs are high and the riding position is cramped - one needs a break after about 30 mins or so of riding. I don't have emergency flashers. I don't have squat for storage. I have to look down to check the dash, which takes my eyes off the road - that leads to accidents real quick.

Point is, there's more to bike shopping than just "how fast is it?". Get something enjoyable. Know that you won't be going freeway speeds for some months most likely, so top end is really negligible. Bikes with smaller engines are simply geared lower; they may top out at only 80 but they'll still accelerate just fine.

Also plan on spending more money beyond the price of the bike itself. You'll need insurance, full coverage is HIGHLY recommended, and that's a pretty penny. Save money for gear. A helmet is a start, but a jacket and gloves should also be on the list, along with boots and kneepads and/or riding pants.

As for riding with this or one of many other groups, don't worry about having a "cool" ride. Most of us think that 250s are cool rides. Take your time to practice, parking lots or whatever. When you're ready for some road experience, show up and let us know you're a beginner. New riders show up to almost every ride and are as warmly welcomed as anyone. Good luck, and welcome to the community brother.

================

P.S. - yes this would be the infamous Katana destroyed in the thread mentioned above, "Tastiest Ditch Ever". Jeez... I'm like famous now, or something.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #75
Hung
Yes that's my name.

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Suzuki SV650N
2005 Honda CBR 600RR (Stolen, Recovered)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)

^^Very well said Bart.

I started on a 09 Ninja 250 about a year ago and just upgraded to a CBR 600RR. Every meet I went to I didn't get treated any differently. Yes you're bike isn't as loud or cool looking I guess but is that why you bought it in the first place, or was it because you enjoy riding? Any cruises I made I had no problem keeping up, and sometimes even passing 600's, 650's, and even once a noob on an R1 multiple times. They even came up and gave me props during our breaks. One guy wouldn't believe that it was a 250 haha.

Anywho, almost a week now on the 600RR and I can tell you it is a huge difference. It's like learning all over again almost. I even find myself missing the 250 because it was SOOOOOOO easy to manipulate and handle. I will never regret starting on a smaller bike, and I'm so grateful there's people here who care enough to share on the good advice and personal stories so that you can make the best decision for yourself, friends, and family who all love you and your life.

Whatever you choose, we will be happy (since you're not crashing and wasting our perfectly good cruise/meet/event).
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #76
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

i do not give people about having a 250R. I was giving it serious thought before I picked up the SV650.

Pretty much as long as you are not riding a scooter, we wont really care.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #77
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
i do not give people about having a 250R. I was giving it serious thought before I picked up the SV650.

Pretty much as long as you are not TMAX on a scooter, we wont really care.
Fixed!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #78
thewingo

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Eh, I think I'm actually going to go with a cruiser. After taking the MSF, which my instructors told me I was a natural (never ridden as much as a dirt bike), and getting some seat experience, haha I actually don't trust myself with a 600 superbike lol I thought I'd be like yeah I'll buy it and baby it...how boring would that be? I learned on a crappy Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and had a blast revving the out of it, so, I think I'm going with a Harley Iron 883 ....never thought I'd want a cruiser, but the comfort and riding position is similar to that of my ATV, so, it feels natural for me, and I found I don't care about speed, I care about enjoying the ride safely and just being on two wheels and staying alive, what I thought I'd want out of a bike completely changed after MSF. Luckily I learned this before I bought a bike and killed myself on it As for starting on a 600, I think it's okay, if you want a boring ride, but I think someone would have more fun on a 250, as I TRULY understand the meaning of it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, now. So, just so it's clear, y'all had nothing to do with my decision haha I made my own opinion, as we all do, and can't wait to buy my bike and start riding and just being under the sun on two wheels!
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #79
thewingo

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
^^Very well said Bart.

I started on a 09 Ninja 250 about a year ago and just upgraded to a CBR 600RR. Every meet I went to I didn't get treated any differently. Yes you're bike isn't as loud or cool looking I guess but is that why you bought it in the first place, or was it because you enjoy riding? Any cruises I made I had no problem keeping up, and sometimes even passing 600's, 650's, and even once a noob on an R1 multiple times. They even came up and gave me props during our breaks. One guy wouldn't believe that it was a 250 haha.

Anywho, almost a week now on the 600RR and I can tell you it is a huge difference. It's like learning all over again almost. I even find myself missing the 250 because it was SOOOOOOO easy to manipulate and handle. I will never regret starting on a smaller bike, and I'm so grateful there's people here who care enough to share on the good advice and personal stories so that you can make the best decision for yourself, friends, and family who all love you and your life.

Whatever you choose, we will be happy (since you're not crashing and wasting our perfectly good cruise/meet/event).

I don't plan on ruining meets haha but do cruisers ever ride with sportbikes on group rides?
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #80
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

I'll just say I would have crashed and been really up if my first bike was a 600SS. I'll just leave it at that.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement