MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
thewingo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Lightbulb Controlling a 600 "Noob Style"

Not a post to ask or debate whether or not a 600 is a good beginner bike, just wondering your thoughts on something I've only heard one person mention in a YouTube video for recommending a 600 SS as a first bike.

As I have zero experience, I'm speaking theoretically, but it makes complete sense. Since most SS bikes have top end power where the ponies and danger kick in at the redline, why, on a 600, could you not just short shift and keep the bike in higher gears so it is not as responsive at lower speeds? In addition to better throttle control for beginners, this would also increase the gas mileage. As for weight, another 30 pounds from a Ninja 250 doesn't seem like that much of a difference, verses a 100 pound difference on a sport touring bike. Riding like this until you are used to how the bike performs, handles, balances, corners, etc., you could dip into lower gears at higher RPMs and work backwards, essentially gradually opening up your power band.

Maybe it's lack of experience or just a logic-based thought process, but would this not work?
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOOB RIDE: "FOREST START" Thursday, 17Apr14 TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 12 04-17-2014 10:41 PM
"Matrix" Style Learning: A Reality? Senator Off Topic 5 12-14-2011 10:46 AM
"Life Style Change" ryanp77 Health and Fitness 36 04-28-2009 01:01 PM
"Lean Wit It" Teletubbies style jrock Off Topic 7 10-13-2006 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It was fine for me. Had a few close calls and learned from them. This thread will turn into a debate full of peat and repeat comments.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
This thread will turn into a debate full of peat and repeat comments.
VicTOEmizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I started fine on my 636 5 years ago as well, but for every one of 'us' there are 10 that aren't so lucky. To answer your question, yeah it could be done, but you'll be VERY tempted to give it just a little extra every now and then.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

IMHO, there is much more room for a mistake on a 250 than a 600 SS bike.

My first bike was a 600 and a first it was pretty scary to have all that power there. Sometimes I felt as if the bike was going to go out from underneath me when I accelerated.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to start on a 600, just realize that there is a lot of power and you should take it easy before trying to be "billy bad ".
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
sweetrx6

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 zx6 Race Bike
04 Honda Ruckus Pit Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
It was fine for me. Had a few close calls and learned from them. This thread will turn into a debate full of peat and repeat comments.
+1

my first bike was a 650 and loved it! about 4 months later I bought my 636 and although it was a big difference (body positioning wise) at the beginning I think the 650 helped me learn throttle control for the 636
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

I figured it would turn into a debate, and that's why I'm just wondering about that technique in a real world scenario. I'm taking the MSF this weekend, so I'm not one to sit here and talk like I know from shinola. If someone is mature enough (I know, I know, another common "excuse") to understand the dangers and use this as a common sense method of a bike to learn the balance and understand power, would it be an issue? I've ridden ATV's since I was 8, so I understand the concept of shifting, though it has an automatic clutch, I understand the speeds of downshifting and all that jazz. I plan on getting a GSXR 600 (ATGATT not Squidding it haha). I know personally my muscle memory kicks in quick, so I don't want to go from a 250 where I have to gas the out of it and then hop on a 600 and kill myself because my wrist is used to the same motion. I'm just surprised no one has ever mentioned doing this, as it seems like common sense!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Personally, I had been off a bike for some time. I got back into biking with an R1. Everyone is different though. IMHO, the only person who can ultimately determine which bike is best for you is you because you control the throttle. A 250 can get you into as much trouble as a bigger bike if you ride everywhere like you're trying to qualify for pole. Personally, I think a CBR 600 might be better as it's a little more user friendly (from what I've read). Just remember to properly gear up.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Body position and comfort are not great on an SS.

I think if you use common sense and respect the power, you will be fine. This applies to a 250 or a 600.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

my exp buy a 600, to me if you go from a 250 - 600 you have to learn everything all over again,, the throttle responce will be way diff, the power to weight will be diff
the handleing will be diff ex ,,

the hole exp will be diff , in my op ,, start on the 600 and take your time , take the msf and ride within your skill level , you will learn and progress
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

My first street bike was 636.... and it is still my street bike now.

Respect the power and get properly trained (MSF and a motorcycle school that teaches at higher speeds) and you will be a safer rider no matter the size of the motor.
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Already have all the gear picked out, stacking away cash every week to pay for it all...even that expensive Transitions shield that's going to go on a highly rated Bell Vortex helmet
Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
IMHO, there is much more room for a mistake on a 250 than a 600 SS bike.
Since your opinion goes against the majority of the seasoned expert opinions, I'd like to hear the explanation of this. I might learn something.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR

And aside from the above opinion... this is an excellent read:

Why sportbikes are NOT beginner bikes 1
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...ginner_bikes_1

Why sportbikes are NOT beginner bikes 2
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...ginner_bikes_2

Actually pretty much everything on this page will help you answer the question:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...beginner_bikes
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
r6gal
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

User is banned

r6gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

lol I'll do what I want anyways, this was originally about a generalization on that technique for n00bs lol
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Since your opinion goes against the majority of the seasoned expert opinions, I'd like to hear the explanation of this. I might learn something.
Well, I'm far from an expert and still pretty new at riding, but while taking the MSF, throttle control was a huge part of riding, and for those who have never been on a bike, it's pretty amazing how little you have to roll the throttle to get power.

On the 250 if I hit a bump or gave a bit more power than needed, I was still able to adjust in a timely manner. Didn't feel like the bike would leave me. When I got on the 600, I accidently rolled the throttle pretty hard and scared the out of myself.

That being said, after a few weeks I became much more comfortable riding and the power didn't seem "overwhelming."
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingo View Post
As I have zero experience, I'm speaking theoretically....
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6gal View Post
Do what you feel comfortable doing. If you feel your skills are up to par with motorcycling then go 600.
I've seen you say this before. He has no experience. He has no idea what his skill level is.

Take advice from experts and people with experience - not people who just happened to do ok themselves.

Just like Princess said, "I started fine on my 636 5 years ago as well, but for every one of 'us' there are 10 that aren't so lucky".

Words of wisdom right there! If you're already set on an SS, then really - you're just looking for people to validate your decision.
sigpic9903 2
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
I just look at the # of posters so far with less than 5 much less 10 years riding exp and wonder how many will still be riding on the street, or will still be with us in that much time. :-)

I think any 'new' rider benefits from a lower cc or non-sport orientated bike as a 'starter' rather and a 600cc+ sport bike, there's that....extra bit of wiggle room. Heck even the Fz6, a little too much throttle in right spot and you can be on your real quick.

Last edited by Ulric; 05-03-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I just look at the # of posters so far with less than 5 much less 10 years riding exp and wonder how many will still be riding on the street, or will still be with us in that much time. :-)

I think any 'new' rider benefits from a lower cc or non-sport orientated bike as a 'starter' rather and a 600cc+ sport bike, there's that....extra bit of wiggle room. Heck even the Fz6, a little too much throttle in right spot and you can be on your real quick.

You are forced to learn control of the machine and actually develope skills that do not involve speed and horsepower. When you graduate to the next level of machine - you take those skills with you and are much safer and much more proficient.
sigpic9903 2

Advertisement