MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Question Do you work on your own bike, if not.... why?? no tools?, experience or time??

Wanted to see what most of us do when it comes down to fixing our bikes?
do you take it to the shop every time it needs something or do you fix it at home, and if you dont fix it at home... is it because you dont have the tools? or time? how about a place that you can work on your bike if you had the tools and time? do you have that...

This thread is about helping riders!

I've been thinking about having my Garage open for anyone that NEEDS help and Needs to save a little bit of cash! you know.... doing things that you can do at home like changing radiator, exhaust system, tires swap, brakes, tune up.. or anything that you are able to get done with out spending that extra cash..

I will always take my bike to a shop when it comes down to major stuff like valve adjusment or changing gears or anything that will need some really good experience, but when it comes down to chaning plugs or clutch or brakes or anything that a few tools can do then I'll be on my garage working on it after work all night...

there was a guy that need it a new chain.. the shop was charging him about $300+ I told the guy to bring it over my place and we'll get it done, anyways this was a guy that was going to college and didn't have that much money to spend so I told him to bring the chain and I would get it done and so we did.. he came over and lest then 15 minutes he had a new chain..

I'm NOT trying to take businesses away from shops, but just trying to help other people that really needs help. Talking about after hrs, 7 or 9pm because dont have the time during the day....

We will aways need the help of a professional shop that can get things done right! but what about the little things that we can get done at home?

What do you do??

floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work is PWNING me, no time for anything. Who else is getting PWNED by work? NewRider Off Topic 52 04-15-2012 12:36 AM
Tile and Grout work experience grsa Off Topic 13 10-26-2011 03:42 PM
Seat Time + Riding Experience AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 12-20-2008 09:37 AM
working on bike so i can ride to work got me sick. now i'm missing work, lol loosenoose Off Topic 6 11-27-2008 10:27 AM
my near death experience at work today kingralphthe3rd Off Topic 26 02-28-2008 05:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

word, i work on my bike a much as possible.

I just hate changing oil. too much mess.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I do pretty much everything in my garage, valve adjustments, tires, head swaps, chain & sprockets, brakes, electrical, fluid changes. It gives you such a feeling of satisfaction and manliness to open a beer and tackle a project. I also enjoy acquiring new tools and techniques and am constantly researching and learning about mechanical aspects. I do most maintenance on my cars as well, and am looking forward to getting a welder soon fo all those times I need to glue metal. I love working in my garage, and love getting parts in the mail. Dont get me wrong though, sometimes projects can turn into a nightmare or become unrealistic and I wont hesitate to take it to a professional.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
I do pretty much everything in my garage, valve adjustments, tires, head swaps, chain & sprockets, brakes, electrical, fluid changes. It gives you such a feeling of satisfaction and manliness to open a beer and tackle a project. I also enjoy acquiring new tools and techniques and am constantly researching and learning about mechanical aspects. I do most maintenance on my cars as well, and am looking forward to getting a welder soon fo all those times I need to glue metal. I love working in my garage, and love getting parts in the mail. Dont get me wrong though, sometimes projects can turn into a nightmare or become unrealistic and I wont hesitate to take it to a professional.
What he said. Only difference is i alternate between beer and whiskey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

I also work on my cars, about to swap a motor tomorrow. I have a milling machine, lathe, torches and about any tool you can think of so guys always bring their bikes for repairs or to make brackets, spacers, plug tanks and just odd-ball things that can make your life for a while that I can knock out pretty quick.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
For the most part I have not done anything too extensive. I'm willing to do most of it minus the suspension. I'll leave that to the experts. So far my experience is taking plastics off, putting them on, oil changes, fork and triple tree swap, spark plugs, air filter, clip ons, bar ends and levers. I know I'm missing a few things, but that's just off the top of my head.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
word, i work on my bike a much as possible.

I just hate changing oil. too much mess.
LOL.. you're making a mess because you're not using something to catch the oil..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The kegerator is the most important tool in my garage
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

I work on everything myself minus precision machining that I need done ( ie. P&P head, valve jobs )

I have done just about everything else in my garage. Auto to 5 speed swaps ( my old 535i), engine rebuilds and swaps, exhaust builds. I even made a custom pedal assembly for a bmw 733i that we swapped in a 3.5L (from 535) + 5 speed (from 533i)

longest project now is the chopper xj550 I am making.

My dad had me in the garage when I was 3. I was a tool runner for him. Now its a place of zen for me on the weekends.

Last edited by ST675; 05-03-2011 at 09:54 AM.
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
r6gal
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

User is banned

r6gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I will do anything I have the tools for. Things on my list to do that i cannot do it rebuild a cbr shock, just cant safely open or refill it at home. Same with cars as well, engien swap, rebuild, just about anything on a car I can or will do. Of course i have an advantage in that I own the tools, and held down jobs as a motorcycle technician at a dealer as well as working as a tech at a Honda repair shop for a few years, and had a side business doing honda/import performance work for years.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The other little thing about working on your own stuff is you become intimate with all the bits and pieces. Learning how and why it works means you'll know right away when something is wrong, and you'll KNOW what you are looking at.

Plus, when it does come time to take it to a shop, you have the knowledge to understand what they are trying to sell you, whether truth or BS.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Great! so I see the most of us like to get a little bit of grease here and there! and thats what I was thinking about our bike comunity!

Thats awesome...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

I don't have too much experience with working on bikes or cars but there are some pretty cool guys that I have met on this forum that will do/show you how to do just about anything. MOTOHOUSTON is the best website I have ever seen.
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

The main thing about me working on my baby is having that great feeling of fixing it! getting things done and when something its not right then you know what to look for or you know that needs to have something done.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I do all the work on my bike with the occasional thing that I need to take to the shop. I've been working on aircraft since 86 and grew up rebuilding Datsuns with my brother. Started at a young age.

There's not too many jobs that I'm afraid to tackle. I even mount and balance my own tires. No offense to shops, but it's better than taking the bike to the shop and having to go get it the next day or two and I can have them mounted and balanced in the time that it would take to drive there. Plus I get great satisfaction knowing I accomplished the job and know that it's right. I like to be very maticulous and make sure everything is in order and tightened to the correct torque.

Doing the work myself is a great time saver.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Time is a great concern of mine. Because of it I'll weigh out how much time it would take me to do the project, how much a shop would charge me and how much I could make in OT at work for the same duration of time it would take me to do the project. With all that factored in, sometimes the shop wins out.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Fil

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Tuono
SV650S

I enjoy working on the bike but have limited tools and experience. Stuff like oil change is fine, and i've swapped shocks, fork springs and exhaust work. if it requires taking the engine apart ill probably take it somewhere.

when i lived at home did a couple engine and transmission swaps on cars, but had my father and friends around who could help out. not brave enough to try on my own experience really helps!
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Time is a great concern of mine. Because of it I'll weigh out how much time it would take me to do the project, how much a shop would charge me and how much I could make in OT at work for the same duration of time it would take me to do the project. With all that factored in, sometimes the shop wins out.
I've used the dealership and other shops a few times because it was a major job that need it done or because I had the extra cash and didn't have the time to do it....

if you dont have the time to work on it.. then taking it to a shop will be the BEST thing for you..

Advertisement