MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #21
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

I had my daughter on the back as soon as she could reach the pegs comfortably. No... I would not do this with my child.
Curious thing is, most parents (non riding especially) would likely see this and freak out / pass judgment. But, how many parents do you see though tossing a baby in the air?? I used to see that all the time. I would think that poor kid is AT LEAST as likely to get a major head injury from that. Or my favorite - the ones standing in the seat of the car with their face against the side window as I cruise by. Irresponsibility is directly related to intelligence (and lack thereof). Skill plays a factor too. Kind of like Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) letting his daughter be in close proximity to aggressive huge carnivores vs. Michael Jackson holding his baby over the edge of a balcony. Both dangerous - not nearly in the same category though IMO. You gotta consider - this guy appears to have more control on one wheel than most "average" riders have on two.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2

Last edited by TexasPsyclone; 04-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2 Year Old Rockin Stand-Up Wheelies TomballD General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 12-11-2012 03:15 PM
Wheelies gulfdiver37 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 03-01-2011 09:30 PM
wheelies coojo Stunters Lounge 24 03-19-2008 11:00 AM
Wheelies up Bullet-R1 Performance and Modifications 7 07-28-2006 07:10 AM
i did my first wheelies!!! Chris24 Stunters Lounge 106 04-17-2006 03:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

When did you get ink?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
beastlyzx12r

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2005 zx12r

Everyone is mad at this guys but yet yall veil to realize that one it ain't Ur kid to if the guy is experienced enough to do this with his kid on it with him I pretty sure that daddy instinct kicks in and he is very much aware of his surroundings with his son I'm a dad I have a 5 yr old little girl and I take her on rides all the time its just the dads responsibility to take care of his kid
beastlyzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #24
beastlyzx12r

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2005 zx12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
I had my daughter on the back as soon as she could reach the pegs comfortably. No... I would not do this with my child.
Curious thing is, most parents (non riding especially) would likely see this and freak out / pass judgment. But, how many parents do you see though tossing a baby in the air?? I used to see that all the time. I would think that poor kid is AT LEAST as likely to get a major head injury from that. Or my favorite - the ones standing in the seat of the car with their face against the side window as I cruise by. Irresponsibility is directly related to intelligence (and lack thereof). Skill plays a factor too. Kind of like Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) letting his daughter be in close proximity to aggressive huge carnivores vs. Michael Jackson holding his baby over the edge of a balcony. Both dangerous - not nearly in the same category though IMO. You gotta consider - this guy appears to have more control on one wheel than most "average" riders have on two.
totally agree
beastlyzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBUSA View Post
Even on dirt bikes?
Sorry. Should've specified "as a passenger on a motorcycle".

Don't know about dirt bikes.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #26
timistim
Server Admínístrator

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Sorry. Should've specified "as a passenger on a motorcycle".

Don't know about dirt bikes.
Looks like they are on public roads, no mater the vehicle they would need to abide by the laws. At least that is what I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Your kid so do whatever u feel like. Dont let some douche neighbor tell how to raise ur kids.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #28
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i didnt wheelie with any of my kids, but i did take my daughter, when she was about 3 1/2, for about a 15 minute ride from my house to my parents, all the back roads, almost no traffic. she loved it and we had a great time. it was really awesome. she sat behind me on the front seat, i had her kinda squished into place between me and the back seat. we kept it under 45mph and just took it real easy.
i posted about it here and got flamed to death.
i know it would have been terrible if we had a wreck. but we did not wreck and it was something i will never forget, and it is something i hope she can remember when she is older.
loosenoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Unsafe and illegal.

Consensus seems to be it's OK for him to have his 3 year old on the bike because this guy is really good at wheelies.

So if it's OK to do unsafe and illegal things if you're really good at them, isn't that kind of like saying it would be OK for him to drive drunk if he was "really good" at driving drunk?

Even the best riders make mistakes and go down. If you do go down do you want your 3 year old going down with you?
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
Unsafe and illegal.

Consensus seems to be it's OK for him to have his 3 year old on the bike because this guy is really good at wheelies.

So if it's OK to do unsafe and illegal things if you're really good at them, isn't that kind of like saying it would be OK for him to drive drunk if he was "really good" at driving drunk?

Even the best riders make mistakes and go down. If you do go down do you want your 3 year old going down with you?
I was waiting for a post like this. Valid point but you can't really compare drunk driving with taking your kiddo for a ride. The point i was making when i said i was good at wheelies was that theres alot of calculated risk in the scenario. Accidents can happen with anything out there. But as for me, i would never hop on a bike let alone ride a wheelie with my kid if i wasn't 110% certain it would be safe to do so. It would be no more dangerous then putting him in a powerwheel to ride around by himself. I think it's a matter of risk that you have to assess individually. Hopefully, your smart enough to know where to draw the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #31
MONSTERZX9
Owner Ground Zero

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
F4i

I remember my dad taking me for rides on his yamaha IT 465 doing wheelies and small jumps. once we ate , but we were wearing gear and here I am posting on a moto forum 20+ years later still loving bikes. Don't think of it as a wheelie, rather think of it as a dad passing his passion down to his son.
MONSTERZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
... Accidents can happen with anything out there. But as for me, i would never hop on a bike let alone ride a wheelie with my kid if i wasn't 110% certain it would be safe to do so. It would be no more dangerous then putting him in a powerwheel to ride around by himself. I think it's a matter of risk that you have to assess individually. Hopefully, your smart enough to know where to draw the line.
True, but the headlines, and laws, are made from not so smart people making bad decisions. Perhaps if the video was taken on a dirt track, and not a public road with oncoming traffic, I could better swallow the risk calculations this rider made.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #33
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
should have a camera facing the kid to see that big smile
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #34
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #35
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I would NEVER do that with my kid. Too scared I would crash, too much pressure on myself.

I would have LOVED it if someone let me ride with them like that on a bike when I was little.

Wen I was like 4, my uncle would take me on his horse with him doing full gallop down a valley, across a low water crossing and full gallop back up the valley. Felt like a roller coaster. LOVED IT. And it was on his race horse.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

I remember when.........................

attachmentphp?attachmentid43949&ampstc1&ampd1303918386
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me chuck and aj.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	43949  
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #37
Bounce305
The Brasileiro!!!!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000rr

[QUOTE=kdog22;2879711]Is it stupid - yes

Would i do it when i have a 3 1/2 year old boy with gear on? - yes, but will be unknown to mommy...

they must never know lol...
Bounce305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #38
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
I wouldn't do it on as busy a street as that seems to be. If you found a random back road or a flat dirt area, I'd say go for it if you had the skill.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing wheelies with your kid...but as with most things, there's a time and place for it. Doing illegal wheelies on what looks to be a pretty crowded residential street doesn't teach your kid good habits.

I saw a guy riding with his 5 year old-looking kid the other day. Kid had a helmet, short sleeve shirt and shorts on. Dad was in just street clothes, no helmet. That's not teaching good habits IMO...but seems a lot more unsafe than what this guy was doing.
-Cody

EDIT: and I realize there was only 1 car in that whole video that was moving. When I say busy, I mean there's a lot of cars. You never know when one could be pulling out. But it looks like the guy was going extremely slow, so he was at least being careful.

Last edited by exalted512; 04-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement