MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
albertogti117

Feedback Rating: (1)

Got pulled over: No registration or insurance

So I was riding home today when I got pulled over. I've only had the bike running for a few weeks, before that it was sitting in my buddy's garage for years. I got a ticket for no registration and no insurance. Now the problem is, the registration has been expired since 2007. To my understanding, if I get the bike registered and get insurance, I should be able to get the ticket dismissed, correct? If so, how do I go about registering such an out of date tag without getting raped by fees? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
albertogti117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just got pulled over. . . lilblueninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-21-2011 10:49 PM
Got pulled over tonight without my insurance. eltejano Off Topic 22 10-15-2010 05:22 PM
Quick question about buying used bike, registration, insurance Father of Two General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 05-20-2010 08:28 AM
Got pulled over... rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-12-2006 03:48 PM
MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE/CAR INSURANCE PETE General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 11-06-2005 03:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
albertogti117

Also forgot to add, the title is currently under the name of my friend who I got the bike from. Should I just have him register it for me, since the title is still in his name?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Simple, Tell them the truth, Say the bike has been in pieces since then and not running.

They will ask if you've gotten a ticket in that time you say yes, the one you just got and then you're good to go.

and yes put the bike in your name while you're at the courthouse.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GT Performer

X2 plea your case to A.D.A. and tell them you just got it running and was riding it home. This won't get you out of it and they don't have to dismiss it But if you have gotten your insurance and registration in hand you have a better chance. Use your mouth peice ! you wouldn't believe what you can get out of ! If you can't afford that stuff. Tell them you were test riding a repair etc.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

you're screwed on the insurance ticket.
you might be able to get deferred adjudication depending on if it was harris co or hpd, but if you can't prove you actually had ins. at the time, screwed
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

^^^^^^^ Not to mention the state fines you have to pay.

They will suspend your licence I'd you don't pay them.

Experience talking
VicTOEmizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
JetG

Feedback Rating: (0)

I would imagine your best bet, is to say the bike was just purchased and you where riding it home. I would get a bill of sale with that date from your friend and transfer the title and get the reg/inspect up to date and get insurance on it ASAP. If not your screwed and you will be paying out the A$$ for no insurance ticket and like above said something about suspended lic, and surcharges apply if I am not mistaken.

J
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetG View Post
I would imagine your best bet, is to say the bike was just purchased and you where riding it home. I would get a bill of sale with that date from your friend and transfer the title and get the reg/inspect up to date and get insurance on it ASAP. If not your screwed and you will be paying out the A$$ for no insurance ticket and like above said something about suspended lic, and surcharges apply if I am not mistaken.

J
yeah, it's an sr22
gotta get a copy of driving record from the state, send it off, and maintain insurance for 2 years thereafter. at least thats what they did to me long ago when i got popped.
they will also rate you as high risk
Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Could just say you had no idea it had expired tags, technically if it's still registered and titled in somebody else's name then it's not your responsibility.

Not to screw your buddy over but he's ultimately responsible.
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You were test riding it to buy. Register it in your name if you are buying it and get ins.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
Could just say you had no idea it had expired tags, technically if it's still registered and titled in somebody else's name then it's not your responsibility.

Not to screw your buddy over but he's ultimately responsible.
Talk about a BS statement and a BS friend at that.

You were riding the bike, man up and be responsible for the consequences. As someone said before, go with your friend and make a BOS with a recent date. Then go to the courthouse and explain your case. Then transfer the title and pay the fees.

On a side note, was the bike impounded? I thought that if you were caught riding without registration and without insurance, the police would impound the bike.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Talk about a BS statement and a BS friend at that.

You were riding the bike, man up and be responsible for the consequences. As someone said before, go with your friend and make a BOS with a recent date. Then go to the courthouse and explain your case. Then transfer the title and pay the fees.
I'm not saying sticking it to your friend is right, but ultimately the guy should have gotten that transferred over if it's not his ride anymore. You are risking your if something happens; ie, the OP got pulled over.

If you give you car to somebody are you going to leave the plates on and never put the car in his name?

He should pay his friend and cover all the costs, but the other guy is also at fault.

IMHO.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
NAILLZ
I.C.B.M.

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 R6S

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
you're screwed on the insurance ticket.
you might be able to get deferred adjudication depending on if it was harris co or hpd, but if you can't prove you actually had ins. at the time, screwed
i got pulled over on my R6 without insurance and the cop gave me a ticket. which was a hefty $350. when i got to the courthouse, the women asked if i had ANY kind of insurance and i showed her my car insurance which at the time of the pullover i was covered. She dismissed the ticket solely on my car insurance.

So in closing if you had car insurance when the pig stopped you, then you should be good when you get to the courthouse to pay your fees (if any)

Where ever my Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile goes my gear follows.
NAILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILLZ View Post
i got pulled over on my R6 without insurance and the cop gave me a ticket. which was a hefty $350. when i got to the courthouse, the women asked if i had ANY kind of insurance and i showed her my car insurance which at the time of the pullover i was covered. She dismissed the ticket solely on my car insurance.

So in closing if you had car insurance when the pig stopped you, then you should be good when you get to the courthouse to pay your fees (if any)

Same thing for me when I went into the court.. I was asked if I had any insurance on a car and showed them that proof and they dismissed the no ins on motorcycle
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Don't hold me to this, but if it isn't in your name, you could've shown your own insurance card. In other words, you may be able to show that you have insurance to get out of that ticket. You need to look into that one though.

As for registration. It is your fault, no matter whose name it's in, you shouldn't be on the road with it. technically. Now, saying you just bought it, etc, all these stories may work. You do plan on transferring title/registration anyways, right? Just get on it and get it done, then hope. They'll ask you to sign something say you have or haven't gotten a ticket (I never had, so don't know what consequences would be, or what other fees may apply)

EDIT: Should've refreshed
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
albertogti117

I do have car insurance, so hopefully that works. As for the friend, definitely not looking to him over in any way, he gave me the bike for free as it was, so I can't really complain. We just haven't had time to sit down and do the title transfer. I'll present my car insurance to the court, get the bike registered and see what happens. Thanks for all the help thus far!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
wackjum
Attorney at law

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

Out of date reg doesn't matter so much on the fees. Just pay the late fees. The problem is the transfer tax you will have to pay.

You must get deferred on your insurance violation. You will be looking at $350 fine, + SR-22 policy, + $750 in state surcharges if you just pay up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
"Technically" it is. It doesn't matter who owns the vehicle. If you are operating an unregistered/uninspected vehicle on public roads, you are the one committing the offense.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post

"Technically" it is. It doesn't matter who owns the vehicle. If you are operating an unregistered/uninspected vehicle on public roads, you are the one committing the offense.
Didn't know, good info.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

When something similar happened to me, I said I was test driving after over a year of being overhauled. I had to pay court costs only.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

ticket

1. you can go to court and change your court date and hope the officer does not show up......

2. hire a traffic lawyer, last time i checked it was 30.00 per violations, they will change the court date for you...if officer did not show up...case dismissed, if he or she did, lawyer will fight for you to lower the fine or charges

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement