MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #41
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Less HFD is a bad thing.

Less HPD is a GOOD thing - not like the actually DO anything anyway.

No, I do not want to hear how they protect me - they don't. I don't want to hear how they fight crime - they don't. I don't want to hear how they do um..anything really except draw chalk outlines and enforce revenue enhancement laws.
Not true about all of HPD officers.

But I have already seen how bad it is getting for HFD. I saw Station 94 off El Dorado responding to a call off fuqua and telephone rd about a week ago. I personally feel 20 min drive away to a call is a bit far... Especially when there is an HFD station on Beamer, which is right down the road. I can only imagine how much further HFD would have to travel if there were cuts. Soon I might see station 94 responding to calls in north houston.
redtalon3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more cuts to USPS pester Off Topic 65 08-30-2012 11:23 PM
School bus cuts Candie Off Topic 63 08-26-2009 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #42
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtalon3204 View Post
Not true about all of HPD officers.
Ok, so the 99% for whom it is true give the remaining 1% a bad name.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #43
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

I do have a serious question though... I think HFD inpart needs to reevaluate how funds are spent. I have noticed a lot of stations take their fire trucks to walmart, lowes, and other places for their own shopping. If this was not done anymore wouldn't it save a bunch of money on gas and maintenance on the trucks or is there a certain amount they must spend in their budget? I know that sounds funny but in a lot of aspects with the military the money has to be spent.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
I do have a serious question though... I think HFD inpart needs to reevaluate how funds are spent. I have noticed a lot of stations take their fire trucks to walmart, lowes, and other places for their own shopping. If this was not done anymore wouldn't it save a bunch of money on gas and maintenance on the trucks or is there a certain amount they must spend in their budget? I know that sounds funny but in a lot of aspects with the military the money has to be spent.
Bawhahahha really alot of stations shop to buy food for the day SINCE WE DO EAT AT THE STATION...Home depot stops are usually on the way back from shopping....everyone funds errands on your lunch break...except we don't have a LUNCH BREAK OR. GO HOME AT NIGHT
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #45
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Running personal errands while on duty is against the rules and regulations for HFD. Shopping for station necessities, however, is not. HFD members have to provide their own meals during their 24 hour shifts. Most crews cook at the station and have to go grocery shopping daily. The city contributes nothing toward meals. It comes directly out of the firefighters' pockets. Anything food-related, (coffee, tea, seasonings/spices, foil, saran wrap, etc) has to be paid for by the firefighters themselves. Our government considers the fire station a home, so firefighters cannot legally deduct meals on their income taxes. Police, however, can. (Not to mention most restaurants give HPD free meals or a significant discount if they show up in uniform. HFD rarely receives that gesture)

The city provides toilet paper, dish soap and other cleaning supplies, paper towels, EMS supplies and a few other things....all of which are factored into the budget. Mayor Parker decreased the amount of money each fire station can use toward the things listed above her first year (second month, I believe) in office. With the decreased amount of money budgeted for station supplies, the firefighters are forced to pay for more...usually things like dish soap, paper towels and soap to wash the fire and EMS units, as those supplies are often consumed the fastest.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #46
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

what i am saying is why take the firetruck? which uses more gas and is more costly to maintain than taking a p.o.v.? like if they are on their way back from a call and make a stop, i can understand that, but like the other day i went to walmart and then lowes and then subway and the guys were just out running errands in the firetruck. it was actually kind of funny they ended up where ever i was at.

and those officers are not suppose to be taking those free meals.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #47
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Yeah have you ever been at work and didn't have toilet paper yo wipe ur that sucks...but not having soap or papeer towels after u get it on ur fingers is worse
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #48
LRD
Kawi Green!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

and I was seriously considering doing paramedic training... I'm guessing job market is only going to get worse, especially for entry level
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #49
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
what i am saying is why take the firetruck? which uses more gas and is more costly to maintain than taking a p.o.v.? like if they are on their way back from a call and make a stop, i can understand that, but like the other day i went to walmart and then lowes and then subway and the guys were just out running errands in the firetruck. it was actually kind of funny they ended up where ever i was at.

and those officers are not suppose to be taking those free meals.
True on the saving fuel, but while on duty firefighters have to be able to reach their apparatus within 2 minutes of being dispatched on a call. Can't really do that if they're in a store in a POV while the fire truck is at the station.

As for HPD....some of them are such d!cks about it, they won't eat anywhere that's not free or that doesn't give a really big discount.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #50
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Think of it this way. They leave the fire engine at the house, get in their private car and go get food for the shift. While shopping in their private car a fire happens. T Hey then have to drive BACK to the fire station in their private car, and get into the fire truck...still sound like a good idea? Or maybe firefighters should just not eat for their 24 hour shift.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
True on the saving fuel, but while on duty firefighters have to be able to reach their apparatus within 2 minutes of being dispatched on a call. Can't really do that if they're in a store in a POV while the fire truck is at the station.

As for HPD....some of them are such d!cks about it, they won't eat anywhere that's not free or that doesn't give a really big discount.
true i understand that... but why have everyone go to the store? just make a list of what everyone wants and send one guy in his p.o.v to pick everything up. that way everyone else is still at the station in case of a call and the guy in the p.o.v. can take off from the store and meet up with you at the scene if necessary.

i know it sucks but the only way i can think of having a way to fight back is to show initiative that we in the public service industry are willing to sacrifice in some areas so there are not layoffs. i see you all do that already by mowing your own firestations.

i honestly am just trying to help with suggestions because i find this whole new budget thing ridiculous whether it is cutting the fire/ems, police, teachers, just all of it. yet they are trying to pass (maybe it did pass) having 2 new city counsel members (which i do not understand the point of), building a new stadium (dynamo did just fine at UH), and spending money to beautify the city. i hate to see anyone else end up unemployed like i am right now and i think cutting our core services is the worst way to come up with a way to save money.

does anyone know how much more it would cost/save the city if the city actually cuts services? I would think it wouldn't save that much if any because with cutting services means further/longer response times which means more money spent on upkeep of million dollar vehicles, higher cost on gas, and less availability for training.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #52
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
true i understand that... but why have everyone go to the store? just make a list of what everyone wants and send one guy in his p.o.v to pick everything up. that way everyone else is still at the station in case of a call and the guy in the p.o.v. can take off from the store and meet up with you at the scene if necessary.

i know it sucks but the only way i can think of having a way to fight back is to show initiative that we in the public service industry are willing to sacrifice in some areas so there are not layoffs. i see you all do that already by mowing your own firestations.

i honestly am just trying to help with suggestions because i find this whole new budget thing ridiculous whether it is cutting the fire/ems, police, teachers, just all of it. yet they are trying to pass (maybe it did pass) having 2 new city counsel members (which i do not understand the point of), building a new stadium (dynamo did just fine at UH), and spending money to beautify the city. i hate to see anyone else end up unemployed like i am right now and i think cutting our core services is the worst way to come up with a way to save money.

does anyone know how much more it would cost/save the city if the city actually cuts services? I would think it wouldn't save that much if any because with cutting services means further/longer response times which means more money spent on upkeep of million dollar vehicles, higher cost on gas, and less availability for training.
The short answer...crew integrity. HFD had to fight like to get 4 members on each fire truck. They used to run with 3, and people kept getting hurt. For safety reasons, an engine company cannot take part in extinguishing a fire if the crew is not intact. On the rare occasion an engine cannot be staffed with 4 members, even temporarily, that engine can only respond to calls to provide manpower assistance, such as helping lift a fat a$$ off the floor.

As for meeting up on scene...that just doesn't work. When responding to a fire, the crew will be fully geared up by the time they arrive at the fire scene. The guy at the store will have to play catch-up, then put his gear on at the scene. Too much of a delay when seconds quite literally count.

Last edited by pinball; 04-25-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #53
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

One Captain gave his life for four personnel on a fire truck..we don't roll with less than four on anyfire truck unless its due to a extreme situations then we take another fore truck with us and roll 7 deep...that's called a task force
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #54
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
The short answer...crew integrity. HFD had to fight like to get 4 members on each fire truck. They used to run with 3, and people kept getting hurt. For safety reasons, an engine company cannot take part in extinguishing a fire if the crew is not intact. On the rare occasion an engine cannot be staffed with 4 members, even temporarily, that engine can only respond to calls to provide manpower assistance, such as helping lift a fat a$$ off the floor.

As for meeting up on scene...that just doesn't work. When responding to a fire, the crew will be fully geared up by the time they arrive at the fire scene. The guy at the store will have to play catch-up, then put his gear on at the scene. Too much of a delay when seconds quite literally count.
i apologize... i was not aware of this. like i said i was just trying to help.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #55
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

We have Civillian Dispatch 911 call takers who will put a certain fire trucks on certain calls...just a accident on a freeway will get a engine truck ambulance and maybe a squad so that's 12 guys million dollars in fire trucks for a fender bender on the freeway...but there are smarter people than u and I that all have a reason for doing this...that's why we go to school to learn these tactics joe public doesn't understand ..we can't just do things a certain way cause joe public thinks it will be cheaper in the long run
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #56
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
We have Civillian Dispatch 911 call takers who will put a certain fire trucks on certain calls...just a accident on a freeway will get a engine truck ambulance and maybe a squad so that's 12 guys million dollars in fire trucks for a fender bender on the freeway...but there are smarter people than u and I that all have a reason for doing this...that's why we go to school to learn these tactics joe public doesn't understand ..we can't just do things a certain way cause joe public thinks it will be cheaper in the long run
I agree with u completely
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #57
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
i apologize... i was not aware of this. like i said i was just trying to help.
No biggie. Most people just don't realize everything that goes on in the fire department or why things are done a certain way.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #58
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

cheaper in the long run=dead people.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

I am on the LE side of this by the way so just trying to look out for you all as well
Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #60
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Worries here bud this thead is all good

Advertisement