MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
coldheat
Chicken Strip

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Super Duke (Sold) :-(
690 SMC
250 xc
Trek Remedy

HFD Cuts

I think that we as a comunity affected by possible traumatic events need to be aware of issues that are changing within our EMS system. HFD has had to make cuts and now there are less ambulances on the streets to handle calls. The Fire Department again is asked to make further cuts which may result in possible layoffs.

We in the motorcycling community are possible victims of trauma and the only thing that may stand between us and a tragic outcome is the timely arrival and transport to a trauma center within an hour. This is known as the "Golden Hour." The Golden Hour starts when the injury occurs and ends when we are in surgery.

What can we do? We can send letters, e-mails or call your city council member and the Mayor and tell them no more cuts! We want out ambulances back and to not gamble with our lives to save a bit of money.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/27638241/detail.html
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more cuts to USPS pester Off Topic 65 08-30-2012 11:23 PM
School bus cuts Candie Off Topic 63 08-26-2009 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

ya, no , this is very bad.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Get behind this guys...have a lot if buddies about to get laid off...approx 200+ FF's. We have already reduced the city's contrabution to our pension by 6% each year for the next 3 years which is approx 13 million each year. The city didnt ask us to do this, we did it to help our city out. Now she(mayor) wants more cuts and good hard working guys who left other fire dept jobs to work for the city will be laid off.
CMRA #65
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Im safe from the layoffs but Ill lose my whole crew at my station...all fun and games til Mayor Parkers House Burns down....then she will wish she didn't make budget cuts
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
coldheat
Chicken Strip

Bike(s):
690 SMC
250 xc
Trek Remedy

Most people don't even know about the ambulances being taken out of service last year. This directly affects response time. Let's get the word out. This could impact everyone of us and our families. Have friends and family write their Counsel Members and the Mayor!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Where do you work coldheat?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
coldheat
Chicken Strip

Bike(s):
690 SMC
250 xc
Trek Remedy

I am just a conserned citizen, registered voter and property owner in Houston.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
coldheat
Chicken Strip

Bike(s):
690 SMC
250 xc
Trek Remedy

The Fire Fighter's Union president's response can be found on YouTube.

Last edited by coldheat; 04-23-2011 at 10:33 PM.
coldheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Vividkid

It must be a Houston thing. They're building a brand new HUGE fire station on Louetta and Ella.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

No the mayor bought a soccer stadium spent 33 million for the dynamo and now we are cutting police and fire.....hmmm but she also wants to close schools and lay off teachers...im so glad our mayor is balancing our budget while she buys toys for the city
Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Im safe from the layoffs but Ill lose my whole crew at my station...all fun and games til Mayor Parkers House Burns down....then she will wish she didn't make budget cuts
i havent seen 1 thing this major has done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

and in top of that.. she wanna be re elected, shyt she reminds me at obama nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

Hate to tell you but every other aspect of industry has seen cuts.
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldheat View Post
Most people don't even know about the ambulances being taken out of service last year. This directly affects response time. Let's get the word out. This could impact everyone of us and our families. Have friends and family write their Counsel Members and the Mayor!
They will just replace the ambulances with private ambulance services, I think its more about snuffing out unions. Some other company will show up and give poor service. There are a ton of private services that only pay paramedics $12 $15/ hr. that will gladly take u to the hospital. I use to work part time for one of these companies, let me say this....you get what u pay for! There are some good medics but the majotity are woo woos that have no clue how to work on a patient!
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
They will just replace the ambulances with private ambulance services, I think its more about snuffing out unions. Some other company will show up and give poor service. There are a ton of private services that only pay paramedics $12 $15/ hr. that will gladly take u to the hospital. I use to work part time for one of these companies, let me say this....you get what u pay for! There are some good medics but the majotity are woo woos that have no clue how to work on a patient!

Private Service will LOSE money if they take that deal...DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE IN HOUSTON acutully have INSURANCE or PAY THIER BILL...I think I heard 36 percent of Houstonians actually pay their bill
Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #16
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Just a few points....

1. The mayor gets a percent of anything that generates revenue that they instate while in office. AKA...she's gonna get a cut of the soccer stadium revenue on top of her pension when she leaves office.

2. No private service will take over Houston EMS. They will lose their if they try. For that to work, the city would have to pay the private service a lot of money (many millions) on top of what the service collects from patients.

3. Other industries have taken cuts, true, but fire, EMS & PD are core services. They're there to save your when things go bad. She's putting citizens in danger by proceeding with layoffs.

4. She wants to cut the budget, yet she created 2 new city counsel positions budgeted at $1 million each.

The whole thing sucks. Laying off 200 HFD is the equivalent of shutting down 6-7 fire stations. What if your house is on fire & one of those stations is the one closest to your house? Let's up the ante & say you're trapped in that burning house. I can see the headlines now. "Family dies in blaze. Nearby fire station closed due to layoffs. Next closest station too far away to rescue family in time."
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #18
redtalon3204
Kim Possible

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSXR600
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2006 Kawi Ninja 250
2009 Honda CRF150R
2006 Honda CR85

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Just a few points....

1. The mayor gets a percent of anything that generates revenue that they instate while in office. AKA...she's gonna get a cut of the soccer stadium revenue on top of her pension when she leaves office.

2. No private service will take over Houston EMS. They will lose their if they try. For that to work, the city would have to pay the private service a lot of money (many millions) on top of what the service collects from patients.

3. Other industries have taken cuts, true, but fire, EMS & PD are core services. They're there to save your when things go bad. She's putting citizens in danger by proceeding with layoffs.

4. She wants to cut the budget, yet she created 2 new city counsel positions budgeted at $1 million each.

The whole thing sucks. Laying off 200 HFD is the equivalent of shutting down 6-7 fire stations. What if your house is on fire & one of those stations is the one closest to your house? Let's up the ante & say you're trapped in that burning house. I can see the headlines now. "Family dies in blaze. Nearby fire station closed due to layoffs. Next closest station too far away to rescue family in time."
this... And let's not forget how many millions she is spending to "beautify" the city
redtalon3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post

Private Service will LOSE money if they take that deal...DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE IN HOUSTON acutully have INSURANCE or PAY THIER BILL...I think I heard 36 percent of Houstonians actually pay their bill
We have been called on numerous occasions as a 911 service to help houston, they just filed as medi care/ medi cade in the front office...but that was some 10+ years ago..., I can think of 4 private services that are already in houston! The private sector has many more loop holes than that of a city service....
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #20
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Typical politics...

1. Start cutting services people actually use and don't mind paying for.
2. when people start complaining, blame it on a revenue problem ( but stay away from spending topics )
3. propose to raise taxes/fees/the dead to pay for said services for an indefinite amount of time ( bonus for a clause to raise again at will )
4. start collecting extra revenue
5. take extra $ and spend on other people don't need, or give it to a buddy to help drive your votes in the coming elections.
6. pay for said services until you need more revenue to match what you decided to spend.
7. see #1

Advertisement