MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #61
lone_rider
SDRC RouteMaster

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'08 CBR1000rr
'09 Kawi C-14 RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdraw View Post
Glad he is ok and not another statistic. Glad y'all were there to help him out. I will pray for him and kudos to trooper for keeping everyone informed

maybe we should hold a ride once a month and call it a "perspective" ride. I am willing to help out. Get the experienced with the non expereienced riders to watch them. Just a thought
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
lone_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SAT MORNING RIDE B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-27-2012 06:46 PM
Sat. morning ride ( early ) ride DonnyMcC Events, Meets and Rides 2 08-14-2008 10:32 AM
Ride to the BBQ Sat. morning...... YankeeR6 Events, Meets and Rides 140 06-16-2007 09:21 AM
sat morning ride Htown1000 Events, Meets and Rides 29 12-19-2006 10:52 AM
SAT Morning Ride Twisties Capt Penetrate Events, Meets and Rides 19 02-04-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #62
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

^^Yeah i added that to my post. Not criticizing anyone at all.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #63
Jefe

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Wishes for a speedy recovery!
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #64
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Thing is, the ride was listed as Not a Noob Ride and the accident happened within the first 10 minutes of the ride.
^^Yeah i added that to my post. Not criticizing anyone at all.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #65
F4injected
aka juan?

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

This makes me wanna get shin/knee guards ASAP.
F4injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
Thing is, the ride was listed as Not a Noob Ride and the accident happened within the first 10 minutes of the ride.
Right... And he wasn't a noob. Two years experience. Bottom line is, these are adults out there on public roads and at the end of the day, everyone has to make that jugement for themselves. I have yet to see a group from this forum turn anyone away, but I agree, there are way too many riders going down. I guess we could make some of these things "open" rides and others, you have to get the "ok" from the ride leader to participate. Might hurt a few feelings, but it might save someone's bike, legs or life too. I'm not sure what the perfect solution is, if there is one.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #67
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Unfortunately this is normal. There is a turn on Honea Egypt right in the beginning that catches the new folks off guard.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #68
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 7

yes the post did say ..not a noob ride...
although, i have seen riders having 3+ years of experience with poor riding habits and that makes them noobs compared to a 1 year experienced rider with good riding habits...also..you may have been riding for 3 years, but what if u ride once in three weeks and put your bike up for the winter??

accidents are going to happen...no matter what. The chances of crashing r higher on a bike new to you.
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #69
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Right... And he wasn't a noob. Two years experience. Bottom line is, these are adults out there on public roads and at the end of the day, everyone has to make that jugement for themselves. I have yet to see a group from this forum turn anyone away, but I agree, there are way too many riders going down. I guess we could make some of these things "open" rides and others, you have to get the "ok" from the ride leader to participate. Might hurt a few feelings, but it might save someone's bike, legs or life too. I'm not sure what the perfect solution is, if there is one.
Buddy system.....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #70
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Matt, I'm with you on that. You know, when I first started riding with MH riders I remember reading about "Come geared or go home." Then when those attending the rides came in tennis shoes, some without gloves, and some with just Icon chest protector because jackets were too "Uncool". Nothing was ever told to them and they got to ride. If those riders saw the injuries we witnessed today, I assure you they would try to gear up more properly. I would also say that I'll just go back to riding with my usually group but that still won't solve anything. Like you mentioned, we're all adults who are responsible for ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Unfortunately this is normal. There is a turn on Honea Egypt right in the beginning that catches the new folks off guard.
Yes sir.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #71
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
But how much saddle time did he actually have? I personally believe that you have to have AT LEAST 5,000 hours before you can shake that truly noob label. 5,000 hours might be a little extreme but whatever. Especially when one steps off a BMW and onto a sportbike. I have known folks who ride on weekends who have been riding for 5 years... that I would NEVER ride with again. Riding in groups can be extremely dangerous.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #72
maxgs

Member Garage

If the guys who typically lead the rides or the folks that are accomplished riders ever want to try something interesting, start a the back of the pack and ride through to the front. Take the time to observe the riders in front of you. You may be really surprised at what you see (1) in the very back and (2) at the distant end of the front runners. There are a lot of folks that could use a little guidance.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #73
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Quote:
If the guys who typically lead the rides or the folks that are accomplished riders ever want to try something interesting, start a the back of the pack and ride through to the front. Take the time to observe the riders in front of you. You may be really surprised at what you see (1) in the very back and (2) at the distant end of the front runners. There are a lot of folks that could use a little guidance.
Absolutely. I was planning on swapping sweeper duties at some point today and was behind him at the back of the pack. Unfortunately in today's instance, it was literally the first corner of the day. We'd just left the meeting point. It's probably good that there were no noobs behind him or the chances of someone follwing him right off the road from target fixation would have considerable.

I'm usually content to spend part of a ride hanging back with someone if it looks like they're pressuring themselves in over their head or needing a different pace. I'm older and have little to prove anymore. In today's case, it happened so early on that we didn't have time to evaluate where anyone was in regard to pace or comfort. No one was cranking it out yet. Tires were barely warmed up and the ride just started. This is the type of situation that caused me to start taking race schools and doing track days back in the '90s. I got in over my head on a new bike that I wasn't used to and ended up with a broken back. I realized at that point that I needed some new skills or I needed to hang it up.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #74
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I hope he gets well soon and be with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
That sucks. I try not to ride in groups because of this. I see too many group rides that have a rider down. Thats not a good day of riding. I will stick to my small group of close friends.
If you wanna have a good time, fun, and ride how you like riding (speak to everyone) then riding with the people you know will be the best rides you will ever have becuase you know how they ride and you know they will always be looking for you...
now if you just wanna get out and meet new people and be cool (about riding) then go out and go to M&G and other rides

Quote:
Guys, we have got to figure this stuff out. We can't let noob riders to themselves even at the back of the group. Maybe we need a buddy system. Partner a noob with an experienced rider who can assess and advise.

We need to have some of the experienced guys riding in the back. Putter duty.... Kind of like being a designated driver.

Whatever the plan, we need to do something more. Safety rules and "ride your own ride" isn't cutting it.

Prayers that everything goes well for this rider. Such a shame.
I LOVE your idea Curt, this is something that will help a lots of riders and bring their ego down...
I remmember what you did to a good friend of mine on one ride.. you were behind us the whole time and then we came up to one turn that was a 15mph turn and my buddy went off the road then back on, you got in front of him and signal him to get back behind you, then you signal me to get infront of you guys... great looking out and keep doing what you doing buddy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
As someone who leads rides, and this is just my perspective & not at all meant to flame anyone, I feel that if i say noob friendly it is my responsibility to keep it that way. Even if it means that some people are bored or unhappy with a relaxed pace.

The problem is that often times ego comes into play and people get in over their heads. Nothing is absolute and as long as there are rides there will be wrecks. Too many variables on the street. Thats why i fully support "take it to the track" if you wanna haul .

... if I ever ride with anyone... and I take off when coming to a turn its only because I know the turn and I know how fast I can take it and because i've done it plenty of times...
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #75
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Not to put a damper on anyone's spirits on top of the bad news... but... this guy is about the 4th or 5th to go down hard out here in Waller County in as many weeks. This means we can expect the state troopers and the WCSD to step up their "routine traffic stops" around here... If you're "riding dirty" I'd avoid racer's road and 362/359 like the plague for a month or so... til they get bored with writing tickets. Probably ought to stick to crab river and the forest til then... I'll keep an eye on it (I live out here and make the commute from Racer's to Waller and PV 5 days a week) and keep y'all posted on the leo situation.

Hope that kid feels better soon. Glad to know he at least had insurance. Most kids buy bikes and won't even get liability (I've seen kids at PV total their bikes and have NO insurance on them... that's a crappy way to lose a $6-$10k investment, not to mention the medical bills).
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #76
NAILLZ
I.C.B.M.

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 R6S

Member Garage

Quote:
i agree wit TexasPsyclone, if the leader is recommends you not to do this ride then its for GOOD REASON.

I was going to go on this ride. i have 2 yrs experience riding and 1 year experience my R6S and i am no where near most of you guys/gals level but know where i draw the line and i never get ahead of myself to keep up with everyone. New riders including myself need to stay within our realm of riidng so we can go home at the end of the day. Just my thoughts.

Its unfortunate about the tragic accident, i hope the guy gets back on his feet real soon. i'll be looking for the guys room once posted.

Where ever my Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile goes my gear follows.
NAILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #77
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdraw View Post
Glad he is ok and not another statistic. Glad y'all were there to help him out. I will pray for him and kudos to trooper for keeping everyone informed
All the riders in the group were there to help karthick until he was air lifted. while he was laying on the ground, he would not stop apologizing to us....
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #78
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3&CLKR1 View Post
All the riders in the group were there to help karthick until he was air lifted. while he was laying on the ground, he would not stop apologizing to us....
Aw... poor guy. He owes nobody an apology but himself. I hope he makes it through surgery okay this evening.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #79
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny77423 View Post
. This means we can expect the state troopers and the WCSD to step up their "routine traffic stops" around here... If you're "riding dirty" I'd avoid racer's road and 362/359 like the plague for a month or so... til they get bored with writing tickets.
One cop wasn't too happy about the accident, the guy lectured us on how "speed" was the factor but I had to disagree...it was the riders skill level and lack of experience, not the speed.

Cop said he does a lot fatalities and is getting sick of it.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #80
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
One cop wasn't too happy about the accident, the guy lectured us on how "speed" was the factor but I had to disagree...it was the riders skill level and lack of experience, not the speed.

Cop said he does a lot fatalities and is getting sick of it.
I agree with you somewhat. Speed limits are purely a revenue generator. It is NOT about safety AT ALL. But if the kid was speeding then yeah... speed was a factor. They say he was doing 55-60 on a long sweeping turn with a posted 40 so I don't buy the speeding aspect.

Advertisement