MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Vegas Kid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Rider down on Sat morning ride-prayers

An inexperienced rider went down hard in a turn and had to be life-flighted out.

Not sure of his name (black guy with an accent, just joined, first group ride).

So we all met up at the Waller bbq for a nice leisurely ride, had our extensive pre-ride safety meeting, 10 over in straights, a bit faster in turns, etc.

Everybody was told to ride within their own limits/comfort zone and that we would wait for everybody at all the intersections. He had mentioned that he just got his bike(R6) 2 weeks ago but was good to go. We told him to stay in the back and take it easy.

After we left on the second turn (40 mph-posted) he went down. Judging by the rear tire, he must have locked up and slid into the grass. Unfortunately his legs hit a steel pole. Tach was stuck on 9000, so in 2nd its around 55 and in 3rd a bit over 60.

Long story short, he was consious, both legs broken, it appeared all three bones in each leg were shattered, compound fracture with the bone breaking the skin on one leg, not sure about the other. Fortunately he didn't clip the femeral artery and he has no head injuries. Full gear, but no shin/knee pads.

Props to our group who stopped and helped keep him calm. It's good to know that if anything ever happens to me other riders are willing to help.

Cops came, medics came, helicopter transported him out to Memorial Hermann.

When we get more information about him, maybe we can call and wish him well. I'm sure he'll be fine but it didn't look to good.

I'm not trying to sensatialize this horrible accident (didn't take pics of him), but I do hope it really makes people stop and think about what you feel comfortable with. Stay within your comfort zone...no need for this to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0124.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	43794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	43795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0128.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	43796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	43797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	43798  
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SAT MORNING RIDE B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-27-2012 06:46 PM
Sat. morning ride ( early ) ride DonnyMcC Events, Meets and Rides 2 08-14-2008 10:32 AM
Ride to the BBQ Sat. morning...... YankeeR6 Events, Meets and Rides 140 06-16-2007 09:21 AM
sat morning ride Htown1000 Events, Meets and Rides 29 12-19-2006 10:52 AM
SAT Morning Ride Twisties Capt Penetrate Events, Meets and Rides 19 02-04-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

and not being a you shoulda took pics of him.. if not posting them he might have wanted them for himself after he recovers.

praying for a fast recovery new guy. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

MH stickets.... who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

that REALLY sucks man.... Glad he wasn't killed or something. Props to you guys for helping him out.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Dammit. Hate to see that. Hope his recovery is full.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Not to make myself sound like a "good rider" or any of that nonsense... but an R6 going down doing 55 at a posted 40 seems awfully naive. You sure there wasn't an object in the road or if the rider had a case of the "zeroing in" on a line or object or whatever you call it. When one "locks on" to a target that they should not be seeking. That looked like a clean road with a long sweeping turn.

EDIT: Nevermind... saw the locking up of the rear tire. That'll do it everytime.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Hope he is ok. Wonder why he went down
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

Was his name Femi or something like that?

Nvrmnd, jsut checked my phone and femi rides a zx6r.

Anyone get a sn or know what hospital he went to?
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Sorry to hear this, Glad he will be ok.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Vegas Kid

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Not to make myself sound like a "good rider" or any of that nonsense... but an R6 going down doing 55 at a posted 40 seems awfully naive. You sure there wasn't an object in the road or if the rider had a case of the "zeroing in" on a line or object or whatever you call it. When one "locks on" to a target that they should not be seeking. That looked like a clean road with a long sweeping turn.

EDIT: Nevermind... saw the locking up of the rear tire. That'll do it everytime.
I had taken the same turn at 90 had no issues. i am far from expert riding skills. Road was clear.
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

"Target fixation" I think it what you were looking for.

Glad he did not die. That pole in a slightly different location could have been the end of this young man. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Wouldn't it be great if every MC wreck that ends up on the news has a big MH sticker on it? That would be one way to get the word out to the community about our nice little forum.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Crashing sucks... prayers sent...
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Grimace

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Man, that really blows
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Bad way to start a day. From the story, all I can say is OUCH..
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

The rider was Karthick. He was stable and heavily sedated when they left. He was conscious and lucid the whole time after the wreck, but sustained severe damage to both legs. From what I could see, open compound tib and fib right, similar looking injury to left and a fractured left femur. He had some feeling in both feet and though bleeding on both legs, managed not to nick a femural artery.

By this point, he's certainly in surgery and has a lot of reconstruction and rehab ahead. I don't believe that he has any immediate family in the area. He's currently at the Houston Hermann hospital.

I had not met him before this morning, but he seems like a very nice guy and can certainly use some support and wishes throughout his hospital stay and recovery. He absolutely held it together while we were awaiting the medical crew, and was calm and composed throughout given the circumstances.

I was right behind him when it happened, but won't speak on his behalf nor ascribe fault. Right now he will be facing a lot of surgery and recovery and I wish him the best possible outcome. He easily could have nicked a femural and bled out or took a foot or two completely off. Given the crash it actually could have been much worse, though it was a very severe level of injury.

Hopefully we can find out more room/hospital info after he gets out of surgery and check in on him from time to time.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Man, that sucks.

I feel horrible for him and he just got the bike, too, on top of that.

Was this his 1st sport bike?
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
The rider was Karthick. He was stable and heavily sedated when they left. He was conscious and lucid the whole time after the wreck, but sustained severe damage to both legs. From what I could see, open compound tib and fib right, similar looking injury to left and a fractured left femur. He had some feeling in both feet and though bleeding on both legs, managed not to nick a femural artery.

By this point, he's certainly in surgery and has a lot of reconstruction and rehab ahead. I don't believe that he has any immediate family in the area. He's currently at the Houston Hermann hospital.

I had not met him before this morning, but he seems like a very nice guy and can certainly use some support and wishes throughout his hospital stay and recovery. He absolutely held it together while we were awaiting the medical crew, and was calm and composed throughout given the circumstances.

I was right behind him when it happened, but won't speak on his behalf nor ascribe fault. Right now he will be facing a lot of surgery and recovery and I wish him the best possible outcome. He easily could have nicked a femural and bled out or took a foot or two completely off. Given the crash it actually could have been much worse, though it was a very severe level of injury.

Hopefully we can find out more room/hospital info after he gets out of surgery and check in on him from time to time.
Thank you, I think I know him. If you get room info please post it. I'll call in a second and do the same.

Broke my femur 6 yrs ago and man does it suck. 5 weeks in bed, 6 months therapy to learn to walk again. Sonds like mine was nada compared to him.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
StewRat
Hive Investigator

Feedback Rating: (2)

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

Yikes, that sounds very painful. This reminds me to brush up on my first aid skills and to bring my IFAK with me on group rides.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
"Target fixation" I think it what you were looking for.

Glad he did not die. That pole in a slightly different location could have been the end of this young man. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Wouldn't it be great if every MC wreck that ends up on the news has a big MH sticker on it? That would be one way to get the word out to the community about our nice little forum.
YES. I just couldn't remember the term!! Target fixation.

I saw Karthick jump into the group ride thread last night. Right away I just knew... he's it.

Best wishes on his road to recovery. I hope he makes it back onto a motorcycle again one day...
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
2 weeks experience might as well have been no experience.
Hope this young fella makes a full recovery.
Please learn to ride in a safe enviornment folks. The streets can be unforgiving.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement