Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #21
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever323 View Post
many people also hit there face in the steering wheel during a car crash , so should you also where a helmet in a car just in case that happen? Not trying to anyone with this but just wear what you want to wear and don't talk sh@#t about what others wear that's all
No put they did put in this small thing called an airbag....

maybe we can start a thread about the girls we can "holla" at while riding as well...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"It's tough to run a protection racket when people don't feel threatened..." jwreck The Circus 0 01-03-2015 11:22 AM
nba 2k15 "face scan" is making some people look hilarious silverfudge Off Topic 2 10-10-2014 07:13 AM
Quote Of The Day: "Where Do White People Play...?" Racer997 Off Topic 67 08-07-2009 09:44 AM
Talk about a "whoa, mabye i should stfu" moment dotcom Off Topic 7 12-08-2005 10:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #22
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

I don't wear full gear when I ride. I only wear jeans for my pants, no leathers or knee sliders. If I 'need' sliders then I should be taking it to the track. Also, I don't wear gloves all that much. If I am going out in Hill Country then yes I gear up 100% but not so much for when I go to work or to the store. Jacket, helmet and jeans 100% of the time no matter where I am going though. 100 percent but not so much for the gloves. Now, to explain why I don't wear gloves when I SHOULD be... I am Deaf so it is very very hard to sign to my fellow Deaf riders or other folks in a pair of motorcycle gloves. The gloves simply are too thick and even the thin ones mask my fingertips. I could put on a really thin pair cut off at the fingertips but it won't be leather. It may be "squiddly" to many but I'm certainly no squid. I do NOT think I am invincible. Sometimes, I just have to be accommodating to fellow riders and myself. It is what it is.

*knock on wood*

NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
DizzyZ

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 Kawaksaki Z1000
1976 Yamaha FS1-E (1st Bike @ 16)
Yamaha RD200DX (traded for RD 350)
Yamaha RD 350DX - Scared me *less!
Kawasaki KH400 Triple - For the sound, you had to be there! Then - 04 Kawasaki Z1000

Member Garage

DizzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Not trying to anyone with this but just wear what you want to wear and don't talk sh@#t about what others wear that's all
It is retarded to not wear gear! Feel free to be retarded though. No skin of my back (pun intended).

None of us really care if YOU wear gear but we sure as will make fun and talk $hit about you if we can get a photo of you squiding it.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Bike(s):
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I don't wear full gear when I ride. I only wear jeans for my pants, no leathers or knee sliders. If I 'need' sliders then I should be taking it to the track. Also, I don't wear gloves all that much. If I am going out in Hill Country then yes I gear up 100% but not so much for when I go to work or to the store. Jacket, helmet and jeans 100% of the time no matter where I am going though. 100 percent but not so much for the gloves. Now, to explain why I don't wear gloves when I SHOULD be... I am Deaf so it is very very hard to sign to my fellow Deaf riders or other folks in a pair of motorcycle gloves. The gloves simply are too thick and even the thin ones mask my fingertips. I could put on a really thin pair cut off at the fingertips but it won't be leather. It may be "squiddly" to many but I'm certainly no squid. I do NOT think I am invincible. Sometimes, I just have to be accommodating to fellow riders and myself. It is what it is.

*knock on wood*

You understand mot people die a few miles from their home in vehicle accidents? It is much less likely to happen in the hill country. Much less likely to happen on the track even. You should re-evaluate when it is appropriate. I gear up even to go to the corner store in front of my neighborhood for gas.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #26
SGT USMC 0311

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Style View Post
Ok so what's the deal with te hall of shame?? I underhand there some homos and people out of gear but wearing shorts is out of gear??? That's just dumb! I wear shorts because Houston weather is not cool at all! It's to hot to be wearing thick pants and boots you look like an idiot wearing it to be honest... I do wear my gear jackets gloves and Helment... So what's the deal with wearing shorts?? So let me guess y'all wear knee pads too??? Lmao and a mouth piece ha ha reply to this I want to know! I know you can get a little
Road rash if somthin were to happen but even with pants you get it.. Good day! Lol

= Natural Selection
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #27
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Quote:
many people also hit there face in the steering wheel during a car crash , so should you also where a helmet in a car just in case that happen? Not trying to anyone with this but just wear what you want to wear and don't talk sh@#t about what others wear that's all

Flawed logic is flawed.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
rquirch
RQuirch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelator View Post
HERE'S ONE. I wear my steel toe boots most the time but you can catch me in my addidas or my race boots, depends on what i'm doing.
http://www.kawiforums.com/newbie-cor...ease-read.html

New rider = amputee

He was wearing a mesh jacket gloves and helmet but went feet first into a curb with tennies on.
That story is not about gear, its about an idiot with 1400 miles under his belt
doing 100mph out of a stoplight.

that being said i wear boots ATT no boots no ride for me IMO.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #29
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Style View Post
Ok so what's the deal with te hall of shame?? I underhand there some homos and people out of gear but wearing shorts is out of gear??? That's just dumb! I wear shorts because Houston weather is not cool at all! It's to hot to be wearing thick pants and boots you look like an idiot wearing it to be honest... I do wear my gear jackets gloves and Helment... So what's the deal with wearing shorts?? So let me guess y'all wear knee pads too??? Lmao and a mouth piece ha ha reply to this I want to know! I know you can get a little
Road rash if somthin were to happen but even with pants you get it.. Good day! Lol

haha... you're a squid. congrats
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
You understand mot people die a few miles from their home in vehicle accidents? It is much less likely to happen in the hill country. Much less likely to happen on the track even. You should re-evaluate when it is appropriate. I gear up even to go to the corner store in front of my neighborhood for gas.
i got rear ended at a stop light a few years ago. I wear full leathers when I ride, and it was a good thing too that I geared up to make the 4 mile round trip, my boot armor saved me from a shattered ankle.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #31
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
The best response to this thread would be a series of pictures of road rash and other damage experienced by MH riders, that could have been prevented with a little gear.
I saw a video once but haven't been able to find it again. Paramedics are holding a rider's foot and flushing debris out of the wound to a rider's ankle - and his "ankle" is just a thin strip of flesh that used to be the inside of the ankle. The rest got ground off on the pavement.

I don't know about you guys, but I like being able to walk. I'll keep wearing my bigass boots. (Gaerne Supermoto's)
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #32
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
not all of us.
you wear what you want to wear. gear does help if you go down but not safe you from getting injuries . I don't always wear gear , its all where I'm going , WHO I'm ridin with ,and what type of ridin I'm gonna be doing .
You worry too much about going down and getting injuries Don't ride .

you are a dousche. yes, gear helps prevent injuries. you think all those racers you see on tv wear that gear to look cool? no, the crash and surprise! they get back up and keep on going.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #33
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
What does dying have to do with me not wearing gloves?

I should have been more clear... I am specifically talking about when I ride around town with other Deaf riders. Not solo sessions which usually involve a trip to the gas station and etc. I'm with you otherwise.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #34
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
you are a dousche. yes, gear helps prevent injuries. you think all those racers you see on tv wear that gear to look cool? no, the crash and surprise! they get back up and keep on going.
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #35
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Bike(s):
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
What does dying have to do with me not wearing gloves?

I should have been more clear... I am specifically talking about when I ride around town with other Deaf riders. Not solo sessions which usually involve a trip to the gas station and etc. I'm with you otherwise.
You have a point. I can restate that and still be factual. Most accidents happen close to home. I am certainly not going to risk my skin for a 5 minute trip to the store. No one will ever be able to ask me if that half gallon of milk was worth not wearing all my gear.

Come on dude. You just don't like being labeled a squid though a squid you be.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #36
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Now, to explain why I don't wear gloves when I SHOULD be... I am Deaf so it is very very hard to sign to my fellow Deaf riders or other folks in a pair of motorcycle gloves. The gloves simply are too thick and even the thin ones mask my fingertips.
The answer is shut up and ride.

Dude, you're not taking steps to protect your communication tools? How the are you going to ask the nurse "wipe my please" when your hands are all covered in gauze?

Enjoy your stay in the hospital with sheets. You're gonne be .
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #37
wesleh

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
Yea, well something is better than nothing.

I wear knee pads about 95% of the time when I am out riding. Unless you like skin grafts is best to protect yourself the best you can. So wearing gear make US look stupid? Right. GTFO with that .

If the person feels they want to wear a one-piece everywhere then more power to them. Also wearing shorts is dumb anyway, do you really enjoy road dust/dirt/bees/bugs and up your shorts? Its not too hot to wear jeans.

Also the reason many wear boots is because wearing sneakers doesn't protect your ankles when you go down, ask a few people on here how that feels to have a wound that doesn't heal quickly unless you wear sandals all the time. I along with them can tell you it isnt pleasant.

But to answer the title question: some people do not keep in mind that while a motorcycle is a fun toy, it is inherently dangerous to ride and that what you wear in your car is not what you wear on a bike. And those that do not wear the gear, generally do not get much sympathy when they DO go down.
+1
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #38
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post

Dude, you're not taking steps to protect your communication tools? How the are you going to ask the nurse "wipe my please" when your hands are all covered in gauze?

haha.... you are absolutly correct. My lip reading skills suck. I have to get my patients to write down when they are unable to speak.

Last edited by witchdoctor575; 04-23-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #39
rquirch
RQuirch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSX-R 750 ( sold )
2002 Honda XR-50R (sold :( )

Quote:
You have a point. I can restate that and still be factual. Most accidents happen close to home. I am certainly not going to risk my skin for a 5 minute trip to the store. No one will ever be able to ask me if that half gallon of milk was worth not wearing all my gear.

Come on dude. You just don't like being labeled a squid though a squid you be.
+1000, this is fact.

as soon as i'm 3, 4 mile radius from home i go into ultra alert mode.
Chances are you're going to go down on the roads / area you're most familiar/comfortable with.
rquirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #40
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post

Talking while riding is retarded so let's not go there.

Easy for you to say when you're able to shout to your fellow rider AT THE STOP LIGHT... I gotta pee.

I hope to never make it to the hospital but if I DO make it there... it will be 100% my fault. Even if I get slammed by a drunk driver... still 100% my fault. As a rider, it is my responsibility to see it coming even when I CAN'T see it coming...

Advertisement