MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #101
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
We can help
I'll let ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #102
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
I never giving up the streets, I have a 600 and don't need a bigger one, risks are everywhere, just keep your head on and you are OK, I don't act stupid on the streets, I see cops often and they don't bug me. I mostly commute to school and back,
I'm happy with it, I right do another track day, who knows
It's not that, I never got in trouble on the streets.
I just bumped this old thread for some people to read.
Although I agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
An honest man has nothing to fear, so try your best not to be afraid.
I don't understand what that has to do with this thread?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #103
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
I'm not a fast guy. Let's be clear about that. But I may have a fresh POV.

I wanted a sport bike for the longest time. Growing up on dirt bikes what I really wanted was to race around a track on sport bikes. When I was 21 I bought my first street bike, a cruiser. I knew from other peoples' experiences it might be best to get my feet wet on the street with a cruiser first. A year later I could no longer fight the itch. I sold my cruiser, AND my car to get what I wanted. I still had no idea where to even start to get involved with racing, and didn't even know TDs existed yet, but I had my bike.

I made a big sacrifice to get it. That was now my only transportation, other than my girlfriends' car, who lived with me. Riding 30 miles one way to work 6 days a week racked up a lot of miles, fast, along with loooong weekend rides to ride twisties. What sucked was, the only learning, to speak of, I could do was either following someone through turns, or internet research. MH is how I found out about TDs, and it took a member spending the time to tell me all that's involved, how to do it, and all that I had to gain from them.

I hit the track last year, having about 8 months experience on my sport bike (20K miles though).

I was hooked, from the first day. This year, I'm still riding to work every day, but I'm also planning to hit the track hard and heavy, as well as go through the formalities to prepare to race with the CMRA by 2013.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy a beat up truck to get to work, to save my bike for the track. I just can't get the same fix on the street. I love the street. It can be relaxing, enjoyable, and a blast, it just doesn't give me that fix. For me to ride my track pace on the street, there's just too many variables. Not enough traction, too many obsticles, traffic, and of course cops. With all that it's almost impossible to go on a fast paced ride without some sort of issue or close call.

For example. Racers Road, the ever popular "twisty" road out west, used to be one of my favorite roads. It was a rush, a challenge at a fast pace, all that. Now I'd have to ride that road much to fast to be remotely safe, in order to feel like I've pushed my limits, and exceeded them successfully, which is the whole point of the track.

Well put.....Streets just dont hold the same anymore.. Actually its aggravating as to ride streets nowadays..
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #104
zx10r08

Talking Track vs Street

I started riding tracks about four years ago. I live 5 hours from the closest track, so at best I make one every four or five weeks during the season. Even at that, I have pretty much completely quit riding on the street. We have a cart track here, and I bought an NSR50 to ride on the cart track when I get the itch....

We(my riding buddies and me) used to take trips up into the Ozark mountains on a regular basis, but I would be completely exhausted after a day in the twisties on public roads. Deer, dogs, cars, trees, and rocks were never out of my mind and really impeded my focus on my riding....I would be mentally exhausted when we got back to the truck...

My fist day on the track was an eye opener and the start of an additiction. Gone were the worries of the Goblins of riding on the street. No dogs, no SUV's, no trees, and no cops, only one corner after another. It took a little bit(a couple of track days) to get used to the speed and really start focusing on technique, but since then, I havent cared to ride on the street.

When I come out of pit lane and hit the gas, for that next increment in time, nothing else matters, just me and the next corner. And that is why I ride....
zx10r08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #105
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10r08 View Post
I started riding tracks about four years ago. I live 5 hours from the closest track, so at best I make one every four or five weeks during the season. Even at that, I have pretty much completely quit riding on the street. We have a cart track here, and I bought an NSR50 to ride on the cart track when I get the itch....

We(my riding buddies and me) used to take trips up into the Ozark mountains on a regular basis, but I would be completely exhausted after a day in the twisties on public roads. Deer, dogs, cars, trees, and rocks were never out of my mind and really impeded my focus on my riding....I would be mentally exhausted when we got back to the truck...

My fist day on the track was an eye opener and the start of an additiction. Gone were the worries of the Goblins of riding on the street. No dogs, no SUV's, no trees, and no cops, only one corner after another. It took a little bit(a couple of track days) to get used to the speed and really start focusing on technique, but since then, I havent cared to ride on the street.

When I come out of pit lane and hit the gas, for that next increment in time, nothing else matters, just me and the next corner. And that is why I ride....
This right there is why I am anxious to get a track day under my belt. I just sold both my Ducati's, in fact this is the first time in fifteen years I haven't had a bike over 350cc's and I am trying to just enjoy the serenity of 20hp or less on the street because I could never shake the feeling that 70hp or more with an adjustable suspension and triple discs was just wasted on public roads.
FWIW I really enjoy commuting and taking long trips on a bike, but I won't waste the money on another pure sportbike unless I can afford it as a dedicated track bike.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #106
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

I feel you on the whole street is dangerous....or I will ride track only... I just went on a ride yesterday, and I can say that it's kinda true..I was able to recover from a almost disastrous spin out. Not to mention the street was damp, and had gravel...those back roads are insane!! I never wanted to take one side over another, and I know I will always ride street.

The one thing I think I can contribute here is that without track I would be in real trouble. If I didn't learn techniques that only the track can teach me in a short time I wouldn't really know what my bike was capable of.

I know if you ride street long enough you can learn some of what the track has to offer, but only if you take on extra risk. Experience is everything, and learning how to ride for me has been very painful and expensive. I feel like every time I ride on Houston Streets, my life is at danger.. I would never want anyone to get hurt from my misdeeds, I know I'm not perfect. I just know that riding a bike that has the Potential that it does on the street can really be tempting to ride it how you would on a track. This is true no matter who you are. I am not saying you will or should... just that you can. Some people have a threshold in their heads, and some can turn it off, prevent disaster by not taking the risk.. but then if you never try it you'll never know what it feels like.. Most sports have this potential risk. Most things in life have risks.....investing in your career, education, family, kids, savings... most just do not have immediate consequences..those decisions take time to find out if your risk was worth it..

Most of the posts on here are from people that have learned the hard way (unless you haven't ridden street you have no say in this post), what risks they will no longer take, and some will never feel the rush of what riding your bike on the track feels like... or like your on the track... ...Some feel they have more to live for than their passions...Just don't give up your passion for some false sense or risk taking....unless its riding.. So no matter which one you decide to ride..track or street... please do a track day so you can learn techniques that could save your lives.... and ride both..you don't have to hit triple digits to enjoy your ride. Just being on a bike is fun.. Some one told me this... " a day on your bike is better than an awesome day in your cage". Track days are only every weekend, add up, and street is everywhere.

Some say the more track you ride the less street you ride.. that has yet to be determined.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #107
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

I only ride track and I love it. It's hard to justify the effort of riding Houston streets in Houston heat (I quit doing the PP1 or 610 run).

Saying that I'm looking for a cruiser or adventure tourer that I can 2 up to ride such roads as the 3 sisters, Arkansas, and the Dragon.
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #108
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Same here.. Want to get a motard, or street fighter.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #109
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
used to take trips up into the Ozark mountains on a regular basis, but I would be completely exhausted after a day in the twisties on public roads. Deer, dogs, cars, trees, and rocks were never out of my mind and really impeded my focus on my riding....I would be mentally exhausted when we got back to the truck...

Gone were the worries of the Goblins of riding on the street. No dogs, no SUV's, no trees, and no cops, only one corner after another. It took a little bit(a couple of track days) to get used to the speed and really start focusing on technique, but since then, I havent cared to ride on the street.

Now you think the track can teach you more than the streets... ?
read your own again.
this does not only sound Whimpy (not related to the post, but anyone thinking alike)
but it's like an illegal immigrant not taking a walk on the street terrorized that they can get picked up by INS at any time; you can't live with fear, when you're gonna go, YOU ARE GOING TO, it doesn't matter if you're sitting on the , or doing your wife!!!

I've crashed and totaled = 3 - 18 Wheelers (loaded at 80,000 lbs) 2 cars (suped up, high performance) and 1 motorcycle (ninja)
not 1 single scratch.

If you ride track only, or street only, stop trying to convince others of doing like you, street is fun, and so is track. Some of us don't have the time
Others don't have the money, the suit, the truck, the trailer, and selfishness to leave our loved ones behind while we take "the whole day" at the track, it's not a 3-6 hours ride (which are the ones I do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
won't waste the money on another pure sportbike unless I can afford it as a dedicated track bike.
I own an R1.. crossplane, I know it ain't much, it's just an R1.. some can afford the bike, others the track days, others leathers and more.. like I said before, not all of us think alike, but its good to read every one's opinion on the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
I feel you on the whole street is dangerous....or I will ride track only... I just went on a ride yesterday, and I can say that it's kinda true..I was able to recover from a almost disastrous spin out. Not to mention the street was damp, and had gravel...those back roads are insane!! I never wanted to take one side over another, and I know I will always ride street.

The one thing I think I can contribute here is that without track I would be in real trouble. If I didn't learn techniques that only the track can teach me in a short time I wouldn't really know what my bike was capable of.

I know if you ride street long enough you can learn some of what the track has to offer, but only if you take on extra risk. Experience is everything, and learning how to ride for me has been very painful and expensive. I feel like every time I ride on Houston Streets, my life is at danger.. I would never want anyone to get hurt from my misdeeds, I know I'm not perfect.
I just know that riding a bike that has the Potential that it does on the street can really be tempting to ride it how you would on a track. This is true no matter who you are. I am not saying you will or should... just that you can. Some people have a threshold in their heads, and some can turn it off, prevent disaster by not taking the risk.. but then if you never try it you'll never know what it feels like.. Most sports have this potential risk. Most things in life have risks.....investing in your career, education, family, kids, savings... most just do not have immediate consequences..those decisions take time to find out if your risk was worth it..

Most of the posts on here are from people that have learned the hard way (unless you haven't ridden street you have no say in this post), what risks they will no longer take, and some will never feel the rush of what riding your bike on the track feels like... or like your on the track...

...Some feel they have more to live for than their passions...Just don't give up your passion for some false sense or risk taking....unless its riding..

So no matter which one you decide to ride..track or street... please do a track day so you can learn techniques that could save your lives.... and ride both..you don't have to hit triple digits to enjoy your ride. Just being on a bike is fun.. Some one told me this... " a day on your bike is better than an awesome day in your cage". Track days are only every weekend, add up, and street is everywhere.

Some say the more track you ride the less street you ride.. that has yet to be determined.
this I respect, and that's why I'm saying, you just can't go in life living with fear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
I only ride track and I love it. It's hard to justify the effort of riding Houston streets in Houston heat (I quit doing the PP1 or 610 run).

Saying that I'm looking for a cruiser or adventure tourer that I can 2 up to ride such roads as the 3 sisters, Arkansas, and the Dragon.

this here... talk about the heat, that's a smart way of seeing it, I don't ride at night anymore, it was getting crazy. enough said. I like doing back roads with people i know "that can ride"
I'd love to take my sportbike to the 3 girls, or the dog's tail.. mullhammed and what have you more..
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #110
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
this does not only sound Whimpy (not related to the post, but anyone thinking alike)
but it's like an illegal immigrant not taking a walk on the street terrorized that they can get picked up by INS at any time; you can't live with fear, when you're gonna go, YOU ARE GOING TO, it doesn't matter if you're sitting on the , or doing your wife!!!
If you've never been to the track, how do you even know how much you'd learn????? Most track riders, including myself, learned more in one TD about riding and my bike, then 6 months of riding on the street.

Quote:
If you ride track only, or street only, stop trying to convince others of doing like you, street is fun, and so is track. Some of us don't have the time
Others don't have the money, the suit, the truck, the trailer, and selfishness to leave our loved ones behind while we take "the whole day" at the track, it's not a 3-6 hours ride (which are the ones I do)
He's not trying to convince anyone. Did you even read the first post in this thread? This was asking when/why did people decide to quit riding the streets, he answered with his story.

Anyways, this is not a "what's better" street vs track debate.
This is in the TRACK section and I'd pretty much decided at the time to stop riding streets. I was simply asking who had also made the decision to stop riding the streets and why. If this doesn't apply to you, then you really have nothing to say.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #111
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Lucar on that note.. I know this will at least get you there once this year. PM me your Info... (Email, real name first and last, phone number).. I'm gonna be PMing you your own personal code from RideSmart... from the last ride we went on. At least those of us who will continue to ride street can help get people a chance to taste the track experience.. Your an exception to the Argument about street vs track education Lucar.. I promise if you try the track you will learn something about your Love the Bumblebee..Time is another problem, but if you do come out make it on a day where we all go, pit together. Also so you can also enjoy the company of your friends. Bring you Family too they can watch from the stands and hang out in the pit if it's not to crowded... They serve food at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and I know you'll love it..

It's not very common for someone to draw their own name out on a raffle (sorry y'all wasn't fixed....Take it as a sigh you should come Lucar!!). He drew his own name fair and square at the Meet Ivan put on for RideSmart).. Here is the link... RideSmart was nice enough to give out two Half off Track days for 2012...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211007

Sorry not trying to Jack any threads...just thought this was relevant. Please excuses Internet grammar..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #112
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
read your own again.

I've crashed and totaled = 3 - 18 Wheelers (loaded at 80,000 lbs) 2 cars (suped up, high performance) and 1 motorcycle (ninja)
not 1 single scratch.

I own an R1.. crossplane, I know it ain't much, it's just an R1.. some can afford the bike, others the track days, others leathers and more.. like I said before, not all of us think alike, but its good to read every one's opinion on the matter

this I respect, and that's why I'm saying, you just can't go in life living with fear..

this here... talk about the heat, that's a smart way of seeing it, I don't ride at night anymore, it was getting crazy. enough said. I like doing back roads with people i know "that can ride"
I'd love to take my sportbike to the 3 girls, or the dog's tail.. mullhammed and what have you more..
relax bro, you're starting to sound like mkgsxr

It's like senator said, this ain't that kind of discussion...not everything has to be an argument about street vs track.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #113
zx10r08

track vs street

Saw where ProAsian3 posted that he would like to get a cruiser to ride some of the roads in Arkanssa and the Famous "Dragon". The roads in north Arkansas are some of the best in the south and the Dragon is pure on a motorcyle, but is what made up my mind to go to a track only bike.

I have riden the "Dragon" in Tenessee for a week at a time every summer for the past seven years. I had a wicked highside there once, and wish I had kept up with the number of bikes I have seen go down there. I would say that around 90% of the riders I saw go down there went to the hospital.

The "Straw that broke the Camels Back" for me was last summer on the Dragon, one of our riders came around a blind corner and smacked the back of a car that was stopped in the road. Fortunantly, it pitched him over the top of the car and into the ditch, with nothing more than some deep bruises.

Not saying you cant get hurt on the track, but you sure arent going to hit a car!!!! ha ha
zx10r08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #114
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

My street bike gets used maybe 1 mile on the street for each 10 on the track. When you know you have a track addiction is when you ride your street bike at trackdays for 4 or 5 months and realize you haven't ridden it on the street at all in 6 months and start flipping thru ebay for race plastics....

Advertisement