MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #81
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
bout 5 years ago...after about 6 months of trackdays twice a month, i pretty much quit street riding.

for the past 5 years i've been racing, i've been on a racetrack on average about 3 weekends out of the month every month besides nov, dec, and jan.

i've recently gone back to street riding and now less riding on the track. you'll find your way into the track (and/or) race scene.... but sooner or later, i'm sure you'll find your way back to the street. so i wouldn't call it quitting, just putting it on hold.

if you really wanna excel, you gotta upgrade your status from trackday hero to racer in training. don't worry too much about getting rusty in between trackdays or race weekends, after a few laps, you'll be back to normal.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #82
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
bout 5 years ago...after about 6 months of trackdays twice a month, i pretty much quit street riding.

for the past 5 years i've been racing, i've been on a racetrack on average about 3 weekends out of the month every month besides nov, dec, and jan.

i've recently gone back to street riding and now less riding on the track. you'll find your way into the track (and/or) race scene.... but sooner or later, i'm sure you'll find your way back to the street. so i wouldn't call it quitting, just putting it on hold.

if you really wanna excel, you gotta upgrade your status from trackday hero to racer in training. don't worry too much about getting rusty in between trackdays or race weekends, after a few laps, you'll be back to normal.

I like the way you said that.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #83
Saltman
Track Only!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
R6 Track BEAST

I recently sold my streetbike and bought a track only bike. I made the commitment to go track only for myself and my wife's peace of mind. There's just too many crazy drivers on the streets and the track is a much safer environment. No worries about debris, cops, or soccer moms not paying attention and there's an ambulance crew on standby at all times.

I made a yearly budget and try to stick to it (very hard to do! So much I want!). I have a list of all the close trackdays going on each month and I'm trying to make at least 1 a month. I also bought a HF trailer and hitch for my Accord. It's working out so far.

Maybe you could do a pro's / con's list and make the best decision for you.
Saltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #84
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Bumping this up, because of some people today wondering what happens you get into track and how the "streets" become boring...

Few POV's from some REALLY fast guys...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #85
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Bumping this up, because of some people today wondering what happens you get into track and how the "streets" become boring...

Few POV's from some REALLY fast guys...
Some people are just slow learners and don't get it sometimes...

Still waiting for you to get your bike so we can do some trackdays or another Navasota ride

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #86
triumphant675r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

I'm not a fast guy. Let's be clear about that. But I may have a fresh POV.

I wanted a sport bike for the longest time. Growing up on dirt bikes what I really wanted was to race around a track on sport bikes. When I was 21 I bought my first street bike, a cruiser. I knew from other peoples' experiences it might be best to get my feet wet on the street with a cruiser first. A year later I could no longer fight the itch. I sold my cruiser, AND my car to get what I wanted. I still had no idea where to even start to get involved with racing, and didn't even know TDs existed yet, but I had my bike.

I made a big sacrifice to get it. That was now my only transportation, other than my girlfriends' car, who lived with me. Riding 30 miles one way to work 6 days a week racked up a lot of miles, fast, along with loooong weekend rides to ride twisties. What sucked was, the only learning, to speak of, I could do was either following someone through turns, or internet research. MH is how I found out about TDs, and it took a member spending the time to tell me all that's involved, how to do it, and all that I had to gain from them.

I hit the track last year, having about 8 months experience on my sport bike (20K miles though).

I was hooked, from the first day. This year, I'm still riding to work every day, but I'm also planning to hit the track hard and heavy, as well as go through the formalities to prepare to race with the CMRA by 2013.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy a beat up truck to get to work, to save my bike for the track. I just can't get the same fix on the street. I love the street. It can be relaxing, enjoyable, and a blast, it just doesn't give me that fix. For me to ride my track pace on the street, there's just too many variables. Not enough traction, too many obsticles, traffic, and of course cops. With all that it's almost impossible to go on a fast paced ride without some sort of issue or close call.

For example. Racers Road, the ever popular "twisty" road out west, used to be one of my favorite roads. It was a rush, a challenge at a fast pace, all that. Now I'd have to ride that road much to fast to be remotely safe, in order to feel like I've pushed my limits, and exceeded them successfully, which is the whole point of the track.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #87
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Some people are just slow learners and don't get it sometimes...

Still waiting for you to get your bike so we can do some trackdays or another Navasota ride
I might be looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
I'm not a fast guy. Let's be clear about that. But I may have a fresh POV.

I wanted a sport bike for the longest time. Growing up on dirt bikes what I really wanted was to race around a track on sport bikes. When I was 21 I bought my first street bike, a cruiser. I knew from other peoples' experiences it might be best to get my feet wet on the street with a cruiser first. A year later I could no longer fight the itch. I sold my cruiser, AND my car to get what I wanted. I still had no idea where to even start to get involved with racing, and didn't even know TDs existed yet, but I had my bike.

I made a big sacrifice to get it. That was now my only transportation, other than my girlfriends' car, who lived with me. Riding 30 miles one way to work 6 days a week racked up a lot of miles, fast, along with loooong weekend rides to ride twisties. What sucked was, the only learning, to speak of, I could do was either following someone through turns, or internet research. MH is how I found out about TDs, and it took a member spending the time to tell me all that's involved, how to do it, and all that I had to gain from them.

I hit the track last year, having about 8 months experience on my sport bike (20K miles though).

I was hooked, from the first day. This year, I'm still riding to work every day, but I'm also planning to hit the track hard and heavy, as well as go through the formalities to prepare to race with the CMRA by 2013.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy a beat up truck to get to work, to save my bike for the track. I just can't get the same fix on the street. I love the street. It can be relaxing, enjoyable, and a blast, it just doesn't give me that fix. For me to ride my track pace on the street, there's just too many variables. Not enough traction, too many obsticles, traffic, and of course cops. With all that it's almost impossible to go on a fast paced ride without some sort of issue or close call.

For example. Racers Road, the ever popular "twisty" road out west, used to be one of my favorite roads. It was a rush, a challenge at a fast pace, all that. Now I'd have to ride that road much to fast to be remotely safe, in order to feel like I've pushed my limits, and exceeded them successfully, which is the whole point of the track.
good post.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #88
M@tt
Platinum Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Awesome thread. I have never been on the track but hopefully will make it one day. Until now it's all street . Plus with the group I belong to enjoys our Sunday rides and meeting other riders.

-Matt
Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #89
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
Awesome thread. I have never been on the track but hopefully will make it one day. Until now it's all street . Plus with the group I belong to enjoys our Sunday rides and meeting other riders.

-Matt
This might help
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211987

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #90
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
This is directed toward the trackday riders, not so much the racers unless you're talking about only trackdays.

How or When did you know when you were "done with the street"?
I signed up for my 3rd TD this year already and I'm finding it harder to find the motivation to put my plates, mirrors, fuses back on after each TD. I'm wanting to save my tires for the track and not use any street miles.

I get the racers point, they are on the track almost EVERY weekend. For the guys that don't race and only do TDs, how did you know you when you were done, and how do you continue to improve even though you're not on the track as much as the guys who race? With the break inbetween TDs I'm worried I'd "lose" some skill and earned seat experience.
I would say I fit the target you're asking about as a trackday rider. I haven't given up the street and I won't. But, I have my ZX10R in track body work now and I will more than likely NOT put street plastics back on it until I sell it sometime later. I use a 1994 Ducati 900 (944) SS/SP or the Duke II for street riding. They are perfect for street riding.

I do not need a ZX10R for street riding. I am not able to ride that bike on the track at anywhere near it's capabilities, so it is complete overkill for the street IMO. I enjoy the tard and 2V Duc much more out on the street. I like heading out for rides on the street and it is a great fix.

Someone mentioned the ego on street rides versus the track and I have never thought about it, but it is a great point. I know that the groups I ride with t the track all give each other a little grief, but it is all in good fun. When it comes down to it, we are all very respectful of each others skills (or lack of ) on the track and all are willing to help others whenever needed.

I enjoy track days for the peace and quite I experience while on the track to clear my head and the friendships I have developed in between sessions. Living 5 minutes from Lime Creek Road and the "Hill Country" makes keeping a street bike very easy, but even while back in Katy, I wouldn't have given up street riding.

My 0.02.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #91
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
I would say I fit the target you're asking about as a trackday rider. I haven't given up the street and I won't. But, I have my ZX10R in track body work now and I will more than likely NOT put street plastics back on it until I sell it sometime later. I use a 1994 Ducati 900 (944) SS/SP or the Duke II for street riding. They are perfect for street riding.

I do not need a ZX10R for street riding. I am not able to ride that bike on the track at anywhere near it's capabilities, so it is complete overkill for the street IMO. I enjoy the tard and 2V Duc much more out on the street. I like heading out for rides on the street and it is a great fix.

Someone mentioned the ego on street rides versus the track and I have never thought about it, but it is a great point. I know that the groups I ride with t the track all give each other a little grief, but it is all in good fun. When it comes down to it, we are all very respectful of each others skills (or lack of ) on the track and all are willing to help others whenever needed.

I enjoy track days for the peace and quite I experience while on the track to clear my head and the friendships I have developed in between sessions. Living 5 minutes from Lime Creek Road and the "Hill Country" makes keeping a street bike very easy, but even while back in Katy, I wouldn't have given up street riding.

My 0.02.

Staton
Thanks for the input Staton. You DO have quite the stable. I think the first time I ever saw a Bimota was in your garage, when I bought that old GoPro from you....do you remember that???

Having separate motorcycles would be a completely different story I guess.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #92
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Thanks for the input Staton. You DO have quite the stable. I think the first time I ever saw a Bimota was in your garage, when I bought that old GoPro from you....do you remember that???

Having separate motorcycles would be a completely different story I guess.
I do remember that, hope it worked out OK for you. I am down to three bikes now, although I may be picking up another tard soon.

I guess what I was getting at is if you have a "fast, newer, modern" sport bike, it is far more capable than you (or I, or anyone) can ride on the street at even 7/10ths. So using them at the track makes great sense. It is safer and there are countless positives to it.

I am also trying to say that you shouldn't necessarily give up street riding. The great thing is that you can grab a bike many disregard as "not being fast" or "old" and have a great time with them on the street for a very cheap entry fee. An older Hawk GT can be had for about 2K and you can have a blast street riding one with all 45-55 hp. You can also grab an older bandit 400, FZR600, CB-1, EX500, VF500 interceprtor, air cooled motard, and a ton of other bikes that you could fund about 40% of the purchase price for by selling your street plastics! Then buy used track plastics for cheap and still have the track bike covered.

I have had a blast on some street rides on a 20 year old Hawk GT and/or an FZR600 leading some modern liter bikes. A "slow" bike can be a blast to ride fast on the street.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #93
CookIe Monster

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 CBR 600RR
2009 CBR 600RR TRACK BIKE

I dont ride one the street much as I used, but i dont like to do if from time to time. I just bought a second bike so i could have one just for the track and one for the street.
CookIe Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #94
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

I slowed down riding the streets on weekends when I started doing the math. I normally go out every weekend and end up spending over $50.00 on the outing. This included gas, food, etc... $50.00 x 4 = $200.00. That was more than a track day. So I started doing track once a month for less than that and bough gear with the difference. I still have a street bike but have not ridden since July of last year.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #95
agg2001
Agg Racing

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 R6 (track)

Send a message via AIM to agg2001 Send a message via MSN to agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to agg2001
But you woulda I you hadn't crushed your pelvis.

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #96
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agg2001 View Post
But you woulda I you hadn't crushed your pelvis.
EnglishMotherFuker
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #97
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRomeo View Post
I slowed down riding the streets on weekends when I started doing the math. I normally go out every weekend and end up spending over $50.00 on the outing. This included gas, food, etc... $50.00 x 4 = $200.00. That was more than a track day. So I started doing track once a month for less than that and bough gear with the difference. I still have a street bike but have not ridden since July of last year.
street is way cheaper than track. maybe you were riding to the tittay bars or something
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #98
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

I never giving up the streets, I have a 600 and don't need a bigger one, risks are everywhere, just keep your head on and you are OK, I don't act stupid on the streets, I see cops often and they don't bug me. I mostly commute to school and back,
I'm happy with it, I right do another track day, who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #99
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
I never giving up the streets, I have a 600 and don't need a bigger one, risks are everywhere, just keep your head on and you are OK, I don't act stupid on the streets, I see cops often and they don't bug me. I mostly commute to school and back,
I'm happy with it, I right do another track day, who knows
We can help

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #100
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

An honest man has nothing to fear, so try your best not to be afraid.

Advertisement