MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #61
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
WHY??

For me?? its because that looks sexy!!

Now... WHY?

well... lets ask about cars!
Why have a Corvet Z06?
Why have an 911 turbo?
why have a Ferrari??
Why have a Fast bad car that you really cant get everything out of it on the streets??

why, why , why...

I see what you're trying to get at, but at least the listed vehicles aren't uncomfortable to merely be on. Several manufacturers make mental-fast nakeds.....the ergos are just much better than their fully-faired cousins.

That was really my question: if you want to toodle around, why fold yourself in half and sit on a wooden plank to do so? Why not get something more comfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Man, you have ridden with some messed up folks, I've been on rides like that before but I'v been on WAY more where is NOT like that AT ALL.

Actually, I think at the track is more of a you attitude... Maybe not in Novice (because of all the rules and people don't wanna get black flagged) but I see the way some of those passes are done on the upper levels. but I hear a lot of talking and egos at the track, but I kno it's in good fun

That's just my perspective.
Honestly close passing is expected at the faster levels. I've been present when L3 riders have apologized for close passing, and the recipient has replied "no apology necessary, that's what you're supposed to do."

I'm not sure where else you've done trackdays besides gss (as I've only seen you there), but you owe it to yourself to do one at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Because everyone pits together under one big awning as opposed to little groups of friends huddling under ez-ups, the atmosphere is much more social. This is part of the reason I like TWS (Texas World Speedway) more than the other tracks.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #62
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I see what you're trying to get at, but at least the listed vehicles aren't uncomfortable to merely be on. Several manufacturers make mental-fast nakeds.....the ergos are just much better than their fully-faired cousins.

That was really my question: if you want to toodle around, why fold yourself in half and sit on a wooden plank to do so? Why not get something more comfortable?.
Its really all personal preference on what you like best.
Like to me... I dont see why in the people go and buy a $100,000 car when you can just get a nice awesome looking car for 30+ k

My R6 sucks for long rides... the seat hurts if I do 45minutes + of riding BUT I love riding this thing... I love the way it looks and handles and the way it feels....
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #63
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
I've heard that about a particular org's mid level sessions.

Actually I've seen it at both places, not blaming the organizations, they're eyes can't be everywhere... and I was not meaning that in a negative way either...

Just arguing the whole " you" on the street and the "No Ego" at the track BS... Aint nothing wrong with it... but the street is not the only place you will find it...

That was what my argument was.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #64
Horn09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
That was really my question: if you want to toodle around, why fold yourself in half and sit on a wooden plank to do so? Why not get something more comfortable?
I would typically agree, but strangely enough, I am more comfortable on the ninja than I was on the ER6N.
Horn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #65
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with getting old... Having too many close calls or tickets and Houston drivers and road hazards it kills the fun about riding..

For me? I will always have a bike for streets, I'm working on putting my R6 for track use only because of all the you have to do to put ot back on the streets (I actually take everything off)
sure, play the old age card! ha! i wanted to do rides just because i like to get out and enjoy riding and meeting new riders, but every group ride i went on it was 105-110 down 290 or to fayette, as a person that drives for a large company a ticket at that speed will end my career, i was always at the back going slow and the sweeper would ask if my bike was ok. i enjoy riding the track! i would rather be on the track with people i don't even know verses the street idiots.
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #66
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
sure, play the old age card! ha! i wanted to do rides just because i like to get out and enjoy riding and meeting new riders, but every group ride i went on it was 105-110 down 290 or to fayette, as a person that drives for a large company a ticket at that speed will end my career, i was always at the back going slow and the sweeper would ask if my bike was ok. i enjoy riding the track! i would rather be on the track with people i don't even know verses the street idiots.
Good points too.

In my case its more about pushing my limits and becoming faster by learning lines, braking, and exiting corners. I just could never feel comfortable doing this on the street. I have too much stuff I want to do in life, and so much accomplished. I don't want to give all that up for a fencepost/streetlight...
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #67
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Good points too.

In my case its more about pushing my limits and becoming faster by learning lines, braking, and exiting corners. I just could never feel comfortable doing this on the street. I have too much stuff I want to do in life, and so much accomplished. I don't want to give all that up for a fencepost/streetlight...
Right, you are...

That's why the street is for enjoying the ride...not to learn lines or push limits...

If that's all you wanna do then you belong on the track...

If you wanna enjoy time with friends and the scenery/weather, good backroads eatery...and have fun on some turns along the way (without pushing limits)...do street.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #68
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
I enjoy street a lot, butI see how it's hard to really get the enjoymentof the track without being too "spirited"... I have been throwing around the Idea of getting a 250 for the street and keep my F4i as a track bike (it's beat up enough as it is)... Or maybe do it vice versa...

I dunno about giving the streets up for good, I really like meeting the new people and attempt to help them out here and there on somethings I've learned along the way (I know I have much to learn) from the advise a lot of really good and responsible riders have given me.

Track FTMFW... Everyone should do at least 1 TRACK DAY once you do it, you will know why it's worth it. And I'm working on helping people get there and get motivated to.

Just ask Renzo and Rykoson
You go that right. I hate having to worry so much about my survival and LEO's...

The Track is awesome!! We have already signed up for MSRH on the 7th and I'm sure as we progress we will be more like kibitzer's comment..(sorry haven't figured out the multi quote thread yet)

As far as giving up Street...well I really don't think I ever will..I just won't do it as much.. I enjoy riding way to much...

Senator.. you ever find that thing you were looking for?
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #69
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

I did 3 trackdays and then bought a dedicated track bike.

I was doing trackdays or backroad rides every weekend with various groups for a few years. I got tired of scraping people off the street/ditch and waiting for ambulances..... and yeah, ego's. I lost the desire to ride backroads unless with very close friends.

These days I still have a street bike, but I now ride streets at maybe 40 - 50% and let the hang out off the track (literally, I have a whole in the crotch of my leathers). Now most of my weekends are spent off of the streets (Fastline events, Mini's racing and practice, or dirt).

Mini's is a great way to pass time between trackdays and $300 for a year membership to the GCK track is not bad. I have just as much fun on the mini as I do on the 600...... and it helps my big bike riding.
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #70
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Getting back to the basic questions you are asking, I think the fact that you are asking them means that you know the answer already. I think you know where you are having more fun, and where you want to go for more fun.

The real question is about race plastics or having a street legal bike. I vote for the track bike and think you should do yourself a favor and get some crash friendly fiberglass before you put her down. That way you can sell your undamaged street parts to buy more go fast parts.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #71
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
Getting back to the basic questions you are asking, I think the fact that you are asking them means that you know the answer already. I think you know where you are having more fun, and where you want to go for more fun.

The real question is about race plastics or having a street legal bike. I vote for the track bike and think you should do yourself a favor and get some crash friendly fiberglass before you put her down. That way you can sell your undamaged street parts to buy more go fast parts.
Definitely. My headlights alone would pay for a set of track plastics probably. I'd be if I crashed OEM plastics with perfectly good headlights/tails.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #72
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
Thats the truth

Im just bored with the street like many others. I still ride it some, but the fun wears off no matter what different streets I ride. Plus I always worry about the cops & other dangers that wont let me push on the street. Tickets can/will affect my work & my livelyhood. So I will always want to hit the track again. Its too nice not having to worry about anything execept for where my markers are and keeping the bike upright.
Plus a ticket is almost the price of a TD..

107 court cost
40 for a defensive driving class....if you are eligible.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #73
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Its really all personal preference on what you like best.
Like to me... I dont see why in the people go and buy a $100,000 car when you can just get a nice awesome looking car for 30+ k

My R6 sucks for long rides... the seat hurts if I do 45minutes + of riding BUT I love riding this thing... I love the way it looks and handles and the way it feels....
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #74
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Plus a ticket is almost the price of a TD..

107 court cost
40 for a defensive driving class....if you are eligible.
Ha..

The last ticket I got on the street, and the one that pretty much sealed the deal for me was over 500$ and 6 months probation. Plus an extra visit to houston, so add more gas and a hotel room for the night. My race plastics cost 300 shipped, and 375 for custom paint. I would have much rather spent that money on fairings, or half way to upgraded suspension.

Quote:
WHY??

For me?? its because that looks sexy!!

Now... WHY?

well... lets ask about cars!
Why have a Corvet Z06?
Why have an 911 turbo?
why have a Ferrari??
Why have a Fast bad car that you really cant get everything out of it on the streets??

why, why , why...
I see what your comparison is trying to point to, but I think you are missing some facts. Besides the lack of room that a corvette has. They are fast, sexy, comfortable, and get great gas mileage. I like em so Much I just bought a C5Z06. I LOVE the car. U should remove it from the list

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 04-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #75
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

LOL...^^
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #76
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I see the point of you guys trying to quit riding street because of tickets and cops and whatever other reason... BUT come on now... who's fault are the tickets??

You can't say that you stop riding streets because you got tired of getting tickets....

If you're speeding on your car and you get a ticket for speeding, whats next?? quit driving?? take more precaution when riding, keep your eyes open and scanning at all times IF YOU'RE BEEN CRAZY!
If you're been safe then you're not going to be getting tickets I don't think...

So you really can't say that you gave it up because of cops! That's your fault....
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #77
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
I see the point of you guys trying to quit riding street because of tickets and cops and whatever other reason... BUT come on now... who's fault are the tickets??

You can't say that you stop riding streets because you got tired of getting tickets....

If you're speeding on your car and you get a ticket for speeding, whats next?? quit driving?? take more precaution when riding, keep your eyes open and scanning at all times IF YOU'RE BEEN CRAZY!
If you're been safe then you're not going to be getting tickets I don't think...

So you really can't say that you gave it up because of cops! That's your fault....

You got that right.. I know I've gotten more tickets in my truck than my bike.. Way more warnings on my bike than any of my cages combined. Still hurts the pocket book..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #78
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

all this talk of street rides of 130-150.... I have as much if not more fun at 80-90. Just have to find different groups to ride with.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #79
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:

I can see me dedicating my bigger bike for Track and getting a 250 for street... unless I want to go Lightweight.
I'm thinking about doing the same, and I've only done 1 track day. The only thing keeping me from it is I dont really want another carbureted bike. So I thought about getting a 650, but then thats just more $$ and less gas mileage.

But I commute to work almost everyday, unless it's raining (or going to rain) or there's ice on the roads. I'll ride to work in 15* weather if there's no ice...but thats a very rare occurrence in this area.

I guess I'm saying I don't think I'll ever give up the street, but I may make a dedicated track bike one day.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #80
SGT USMC 0311

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Get a motard for the street. We live in a city with no twisties and no hills. You don't need either to have fun on a motard. Save the sport bike for the track and the occasional long trip. Just .02 from a recent convert.
My wife just bought a Monster 1100 S...it is not a motard, however, it is very upright and so so so much fun on the street. It really got me thinking about going in the direction you mention above for the street.

Advertisement