MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That's a good perspective Curt. Since I'm on the newer side of getting serious with the track, with less free time during the week, I'm not getting on the street. Working hard for that TD weekend I guess.
With all this track talk...

are you going to be at MSRH on the 7th and on the 30th? I AM!

Oh, and the Parade Laps on the 22nd.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Soclose
Green and Mean

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'05 Suzuki GS500F(sold)
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Bingo. I ride at max 80% of my skill level on the street because I'm so cautious about something happening and meeting a large inanimate object.
I want to really focus my skills in TDs. Not really getting the thrill from the street at all.

On the street however, you can practice whenever you want. TDs are sometimes few and far between on the calendar sometimes.
80%? that's more than me.. I tend to ride with 75% of my skills on the street.. but when it is a closed course/road down in mexico it's a different story.. granted I havent been to any TD but I've been to a few 2f2f roads in mexico
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #43
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
just make your bike track only, its time. I personally have a ball on the streets still, but I also don't ride the same over and over. I also like traveling to other places to different roads. But its all made easier since I have a dedicated track bike
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #44
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I think it's another cycle people go through. I did almost every possible track day in 2008 and quite a few in 2009. On top of that did many members days at MSRH. I've learned that I enjoyed the track for the speed; honing cornering, braking, and throttle management skills; instructing and all the technical aspects of making a bike perform.

I have also learned that I enjoy the street. The great scenery, meeting lots of new folks, and the associate events.

The challenge is remember where to go to fulfill which goals. A street ride is not a track day.

With less free time, I'm going to the track less. But that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy a cruise on the street.
WELL SAID....
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #45
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I totally understand Curt's prospective, and it brings up an interesting point: why have a full-nuts supersport for the street? If everyone just wants to toodle along and enjoy the scenery (whilst avoiding dying because of inattentive cagers) why aren't naked bikes more popular? They're certainly more comfortable.

Secondly I have to say that, for me personally, I don't really enjoy the social aspect of street rides. I haven't done one in a while, for good reason, but it just seems that as soon as the kickstands go up..... you...its every man for himself. Also, there seems to be a lot more egos on street rides. Everyone in the paddock at a trackday is pretty chill.

EDIT: yea, that's right. If you come meet me at a trackday, I probably won't be mad at the world.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #46
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
just make your bike track only, its time. I personally have a ball on the streets still, but I also don't ride the same over and over. I also like traveling to other places to different roads. But its all made easier since I have a dedicated track bike
Word dude. If I bought another bike it'd be problem solved, especially one of those Italian broads you have in the garage.

I was looking forward to a new daily driver this year financially, but who knows. Maybe I'll do a few more TD's then re-evaluate the next 6-12 months again.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #47
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I totally understand Curt's prospective, and it brings up an interesting point: why have a full-nuts supersport for the street? If everyone just wants to toodle along and enjoy the scenery (whilst avoiding dying because of inattentive cagers) why aren't naked bikes more popular? They're certainly more comfortable.

Secondly I have to say that, for me personally, I don't really enjoy the social aspect of street rides. I haven't done one in a while, for good reason, but it just seems that as soon as the kickstands go up..... you...its every man for himself. Also, there seems to be a lot more egos on street rides. Everyone in the paddock at a trackday is pretty chill.
EDIT: yea, that's right. If you come meet me at a trackday, I probably won't be mad at the world.
WHY??

For me?? its because that looks sexy!!

Now... WHY?

well... lets ask about cars!
Why have a Corvet Z06?
Why have an 911 turbo?
why have a Ferrari??
Why have a Fast bad car that you really cant get everything out of it on the streets??

why, why , why...
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:

Thats the truth

Im just bored with the street like many others. I still ride it some, but the fun wears off no matter what different streets I ride. Plus I always worry about the cops & other dangers that wont let me push on the street. Tickets can/will affect my work & my livelyhood. So I will always want to hit the track again. Its too nice not having to worry about anything execept for where my markers are and keeping the bike upright.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #49
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Man, you have ridden with some messed up folks, I've been on rides like that before but I'v been on WAY more where is NOT like that AT ALL.

Actually, I think at the track is more of a you attitude... Maybe not in Novice (because of all the rules and people don't wanna get black flagged) but I see the way some of those passes are done on the upper levels. but I hear a lot of talking and egos at the track, but I kno it's in good fun

That's just my perspective.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #50
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Man, you have ridden with some messed up folks, I've been on rides like that before but I'v been on WAY more where is NOT like that AT ALL.

Actually, I think at the track is more of a you attitude... Maybe not in Novice (because of all the rules and people don't wanna get black flagged) but I see the way some of those passes are done on the upper levels. but I hear a lot of talking and egos at the track, but I kno it's in good fun That's just my perspective.
WAIT FOR IT......
Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #51
crazivi3tdude
Commander in Chief !!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Mongoose
C
B
R

Send a message via AIM to crazivi3tdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
I think it has a lot to do with getting old... Having too many close calls or tickets and Houston drivers and road hazards it kills the fun about riding..

For me? I will always have a bike for streets, I'm working on putting my R6 for track use only because of all the you have to do to put ot back on the streets (I actually take everything off)

for the most part... I ride my bike because its relaxing, if you hit a back roads on a early morning with just a few friends for a little cruise, it doesn't matter how bad of a day you are having or how bad of a week you had at work... Everything goes away.

Now if you just wanna ride for the challenge and for the rush and enjoyment of competing with others then you will find that the streets its not the place for you.

I've been riding for 3 yrs now and been pulled over 15 times and have been given 3 tickets.. Some times you have to pay to play.
^^^ you didnt mention how many times you've gotten away

Yes! my name is Ninja!!!
crazivi3tdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #52
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazivi3tdude View Post
This isn't the postwhore thread. I want decent info.

GTFO.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
Thats the truth

Im just bored with the street like many others. I still ride it some, but the fun wears off no matter what different streets I ride. Plus I always worry about the cops & other dangers that wont let me push on the street. Tickets can/will affect my work & my livelyhood. So I will always want to hit the track again. Its too nice not having to worry about anything execept for where my markers are and keeping the bike upright.

Quote:

Actually, I think at the track is more of a you attitude... Maybe not in Novice (because of all the rules and people don't wanna get black flagged) but I see the way some of those passes are done on the upper levels. but I hear a lot of talking and egos at the track, but I kno it's in good fun

from what i've seen mark is pretty much spot on.

get passed at the track and you dont really have much excuse - just acknowledge that they're faster. no biggie... street junkies always say stupid like 'mah fah-blayde kin take dat'. much more ego and always got some bs excuse for their riding. plenty of peeps even seem proud that they get a lot of tickets.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #54
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazivi3tdude View Post
Hey!!! SHUT UP!

We dont talk about that in here.... We're talking about track riding and street riding...
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #55
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post

from what i've seen mark is pretty much spot on.

get passed at the track and you dont really have much excuse - just acknowledge that they're faster. no biggie... street junkies always say stupid like 'mah fah-blayde kin take dat'. much more ego and always got some bs excuse for their riding. plenty of peeps even seem proud that they get a lot of tickets.
I guess you guys have ridden with the wrong people. sorry.

But back to the point...

I can see me dedicating my bigger bike for Track and getting a 250 for street... unless I want to go Lightweight.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #56
Coonass
Banned

User is banned

Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #57
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:

But back to the point...

I can see me dedicating my bigger bike for Track and getting a 250 for street... unless I want to go Lightweight.
since when did you get a big bike
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #58
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonass View Post
I just picked my bike up from the shop getting a new clutch and tires. I loved riding the streets before getting this work dOne. While the bike was in the shop I had 3 friends end up in the hospital due to bike wrecks. All 3 are still there and it's been over a month one will never live on his own again, one lost a leg, one is recovering ok. On top of that I've lost enough friends on the street. Currently workin on changing my bike into a track
Didn't know where you were going with that at first, but I agree.
When I first started, I'd try to get a rush from hwy exhange ramps, and then we had like 3 people 2 years ago fall off of them. I quit railing those after that all together.

Even more reason to ride the track for me.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
Horn09

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Quote:
That's why I rarely ride with random people.
Horn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #60
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:

I've heard that about a particular org's mid level sessions.

Speaking from personal experience attending Fastline days in intermediate and LSTD Fridays in the street group at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I've never had a negative experience with another rider. There have been some close calls, as does happen with mixed skill levels and people trying to push themselves, but every single incident resulted in rider's checking with each other in the pits to make sure everyone was okay and nobody did something wrong.

And witnessing passes in upper levels on the sidelines from a Novice perspective can be pretty intimidating. I remember my first TD with Groove Union watching the intermediate guys on the track and thinking I'm going to stay in Novice forever. After finally moving up to intermediate I've found the riders to be the most accomodating and friendly guys out there. And the passing isn't so nearly as close as it looks from the sidelines.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement