MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
It was a few things for me:
  • Getting pulled over by LEOs on the way to known riding roads because they were tired of complaints and scraping up bikers.
  • Realized that street riding only instilled bad habits so any seat time gained was negated by improper techniques reinforced.
  • Needing to go faster and faster on the street to find the enjoyment I was getting at the track.
  • Riding 30 minutes to do 6 curves when one TD was 13 turns per lap with 19-20 laps per session with 5-6 sessions.

To make up for the urge to ride in between TDs we got involved in minis. Parking lot racing can be done every weekend for minimal cost and maximum fun.
Maybe if this was Colorado or California or some other place with lots of local twisties it would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Spot on. Never thought about getting into minis, but I don't have a truck to haul around.

George, do you ever feel like you're loosing some of that "edge" inbetween TDs though?

You meant lethargic and lazy. I know.

Man I started on HD's and would love to get another, but while I make plenty enough to do TDs, buying a tard isn't in the budget. Got some bigger purchases in mind the next two years. Would be pretty awesome to ride one of those though!
i got into it before i had a truck... my 50 would fit in the back seat of a mustang... it was tight but it would do it. Mala uses her civic hatchback to haul hers when she rides it once every 18 months
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
slim8

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 GS project

Quote:
It was a few things for me:
  • Getting pulled over by LEOs on the way to known riding roads because they were tired of complaints and scraping up bikers.
  • Realized that street riding only instilled bad habits so any seat time gained was negated by improper techniques reinforced.
  • Needing to go faster and faster on the street to find the enjoyment I was getting at the track.
  • Riding 30 minutes to do 6 curves when one TD was 13 turns per lap with 19-20 laps per session with 5-6 sessions.

To make up for the urge to ride in between TDs we got involved in minis. Parking lot racing can be done every weekend for minimal cost and maximum fun.

Maybe if this was Colorado or California or some other place with lots of local twisties it would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I would rather do TDs than hounded by the Police...I get my rocks off and its enough for me..As far as Racing I have no urge to Race...YET! I dont know when I will be ready to take Racing on but for now TDs once or twice a month get me off..I feel I get better understanding the bikes dynamics every trackday the only time Im shakey is when the season is over
Both of these pretty much sum up my reasoning for getting off the streets. Plus I was getting sick of almost getting ran over by someone driving with their head up their every time I got on the bike.
slim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I bought my R6 and rode for a few days in the street after I bought it, that is when I realized that Houston streets are BORING.

About 3 months after I do that bike, I did my first track day... after that I lost the interest in riding the streets. I made my R6 a track bike...
This is me except insert "ZX6R" for "R6," and insert "1 month" for "3 months." IMHO, a sport bike is a ton more fun on the track instead of the streets of Houston. I have a "street" sport bike I'm now selling because I'm buying another track/race bike.

Like cdill35, I'll probably get another street bike, but it will be something better for street riding.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Get a motard for the street. We live in a city with no twisties and no hills. You don't need either to have fun on a motard. Save the sport bike for the track and the occasional long trip. Just .02 from a recent convert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Once you air it out in third over some railroad tracks, rail some corners, slide it around in the dirt, wreck it, pick it up and dust it off only to realize there isn't any damage, hit up some jogging trails then look down at your watch and realize you've only been riding for an hour you will be hooked.
Did this. My tard is the only bike in my arsenal that still has plates on it. That being said: The tap is still on the lights from my March trackday. I just don't really ride it all that much on the street.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #25
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

I ride less and less on the street, just doesnt do much anymore
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

So for those that are giving up or have given up the street so to speak,
when did you actually throw down the cash for track fairings and tie up all the
wiring for lights underneath?

I think that would be the first step in making the decision, "I'm going track only".
Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:

I think that would be the first step in making the decision, "I'm going track only".
Actually the first step was cancelling insurance and not renewing the registration. Done.

I was hovering over the "SUBMIT" button to order track fairings at one point, but had suspension problems and didn't want to wreck nice new track plastics so I decided to wait. I'm now the guy with rashed street plastics, blue painters tape, and slicks. She may have a Goodwill dress, but her shoes were made for dancing.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

First time you wad it up.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I've never ridden track but would love to! And while it's no track, living 20 minutes from the 3 sisters makes street riding a lot more fun than I was having in Houston.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

I had my 1500 mile '07 Gixxer 1k fall off the trailer on the way back from TWS (Texas World Speedway). Of the 1500 miles I put on that bike, 1000 were on the track. At that point I took the insurance payout, paid off the note, and used what was left to be an inexpensive trackturd. I still have that bike, actually, and am about to put it up for sale for someone else to get into their first, cheap trackbike.

The second time I "de-streeted" a bike happend last month. I bought a streetbike last summer because I wasn't doing many trackdays, and missed riding. I maybe put 300 miles on it, though. I then made the mistake of taking it to TWS (Texas World Speedway) at the end of last season jsut to actually put it through its paces. I liked it better than my old trackbike. So as soon as funds allowed, I shelved the clean street body work, and tracked the out - completely without remorse.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

excellent information in here!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #32
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
and when the track gets too expensive, come play in the dirt!

entry fee for 2 races + 2 nights camping + gas to/from/in the bike....spent about $150 bucks this weekend.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #33
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I never made a concrete decision to get off the streets. I had a 750 race bike and a 1000 for the street. I decided that I wanted to race the 1000 and what made the most sense was to sell the 750 and turn my 1000 into a race bike. That left me without a street bike.

I'll probably have another street bike at some point, but it will be a more upright sport / touring bike. I'm done doing 150+ on the backroads and those bikes are sorry for just crusing around. If I'm going to take in the fresh air and scenery then I am going to do it comfortably.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
and when the track gets too expensive, come play in the dirt!

entry fee for 2 races + 2 nights camping + gas to/from/in the bike....spent about $150 bucks this weekend.
A membership to the Katy kart track is $300 per year. I think thats the route I'm going for my non-trackday fix.

CMRA #302
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
Nuts. You're swinging from them.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
maxgs

Member Garage

I think it's another cycle people go through. I did almost every possible track day in 2008 and quite a few in 2009. On top of that did many members days at MSRH. I've learned that I enjoyed the track for the speed; honing cornering, braking, and throttle management skills; instructing and all the technical aspects of making a bike perform.

I have also learned that I enjoy the street. The great scenery, meeting lots of new folks, and the associate events.

The challenge is remember where to go to fulfill which goals. A street ride is not a track day.

With less free time, I'm going to the track less. But that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy a cruise on the street.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #37
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Actually the first step was cancelling insurance and not renewing the registration. Done.

I was hovering over the "SUBMIT" button to order track fairings at one point, but had suspension problems and didn't want to wreck nice new track plastics so I decided to wait. I'm now the guy with rashed street plastics, blue painters tape, and slicks. She may have a Goodwill dress, but her shoes were made for dancing.
Its hard to find some parts for my older bike, like headlights. That's the only reason I thought about some aftermarket fairings. My stuff doesn't bother me right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
excellent information in here!
Where is Solracer? See, not every thread/person on this site is bad...
I said not EVERY...

Quote:
Nuts. You're swinging from them.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #38
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I think it has a lot to do with getting old... Having too many close calls or tickets and Houston drivers and road hazards it kills the fun about riding..

For me? I will always have a bike for streets, I'm working on putting my R6 for track use only because of all the you have to do to put ot back on the streets (I actually take everything off)

for the most part... I ride my bike because its relaxing, if you hit a back roads on a early morning with just a few friends for a little cruise, it doesn't matter how bad of a day you are having or how bad of a week you had at work... Everything goes away.

Now if you just wanna ride for the challenge and for the rush and enjoyment of competing with others then you will find that the streets its not the place for you.

I've been riding for 3 yrs now and been pulled over 15 times and have been given 3 tickets.. Some times you have to pay to play.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #39
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home

well i just removed the light controls and wiring... quarterly bonus this month will be spent on Plastics.. so i'm on my way
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I think it's another cycle people go through. I did almost every possible track day in 2008 and quite a few in 2009. On top of that did many members days at MSRH. I've learned that I enjoyed the track for the speed; honing cornering, braking, and throttle management skills; instructing and all the technical aspects of making a bike perform.

I have also learned that I enjoy the street. The great scenery, meeting lots of new folks, and the associate events.

The challenge is remember where to go to fulfill which goals. A street ride is not a track day.

With less free time, I'm going to the track less. But that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy a cruise on the street.
That's a good perspective Curt. Since I'm on the newer side of getting serious with the track, with less free time during the week, I'm not getting on the street. Working hard for that TD weekend I guess.

Advertisement