MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Done with the street...

This is directed toward the trackday riders, not so much the racers unless you're talking about only trackdays.

How or When did you know when you were "done with the street"?
I signed up for my 3rd TD this year already and I'm finding it harder to find the motivation to put my plates, mirrors, fuses back on after each TD. I'm wanting to save my tires for the track and not use any street miles.

I get the racers point, they are on the track almost EVERY weekend. For the guys that don't race and only do TDs, how did you know you when you were done, and how do you continue to improve even though you're not on the track as much as the guys who race? With the break inbetween TDs I'm worried I'd "lose" some skill and earned seat experience.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Street View Catches Somone Peeing In The Street Pyrofallout Off Topic 21 12-23-2008 10:49 PM
This is why I keep it on the street DOA General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 07-11-2007 01:49 AM
street or no street? another poll..... houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-04-2007 05:43 PM
Freddy Spencer vs Street Bike vs Street Car Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
If you're able to practice the skills necessary to ride a bike fast while street riding, you're just going too fast as far as I'm concerned.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

track is too expensive for me to do every weekend.. i still like riding on the street and going off the grid, checking the sights, taking some time to chill.. i'd probably still ride the backroads even if i could afford a td every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
If you're able to practice the skills necessary to ride a bike fast while street riding, you're just going too fast as far as I'm concerned.
and this. gotta go way too fast to stay safe.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Bingo. I ride at max 80% of my skill level on the street because I'm so cautious about something happening and meeting a large inanimate object.
I want to really focus my skills in TDs. Not really getting the thrill from the street at all.

On the street however, you can practice whenever you want. TDs are sometimes few and far between on the calendar sometimes.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
r6rb-ray

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 r6, 2002 r6 fighter, 2002 cr125, 83 gs1100

i did my first 2 trackdays last year and soon after made my r6 a trackbike. I have ridden the street maybe 6-7 times between then and now. All that worry about losing skill goes away after the first session. Granted i am putting together a street bike but its really only for little meets and stuff
r6rb-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

It was a few things for me:
  • Getting pulled over by LEOs on the way to known riding roads because they were tired of complaints and scraping up bikers.
  • Realized that street riding only instilled bad habits so any seat time gained was negated by improper techniques reinforced.
  • Needing to go faster and faster on the street to find the enjoyment I was getting at the track.
  • Riding 30 minutes to do 6 curves when one TD was 13 turns per lap with 19-20 laps per session with 5-6 sessions.

To make up for the urge to ride in between TDs we got involved in minis. Parking lot racing can be done every weekend for minimal cost and maximum fun.

Maybe if this was Colorado or California or some other place with lots of local twisties it would be different.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I do trackdays about once every Month, maybe twice if Im lucky, I have a street bike and find it less amusing to even go out and have fun on it..Even not having to replace the plates or tape I still find it hard to get motivated to go play...I really just have my street bike just in CASE I choose to do a meet and greet and still find it hard to make those...I never thought I would ever be like this, but I have fallen into that trackday mentality...I have thought about converting my street bike into a trackday back up but without it being paid off I am hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket, but I guess only time will tell...putting the plates and the peeling the tape is not the reason i dont ride street..thats the east part, getting over the part not having fun and sitting in the sun HOT for minimal kicks is my mental
blockage
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I'm getting old and lazy
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Get a motard for the street. We live in a city with no twisties and no hills. You don't need either to have fun on a motard. Save the sport bike for the track and the occasional long trip. Just .02 from a recent convert.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
  • Getting pulled over by LEOs on the way to known riding roads because they were tired of complaints and scraping up bikers.
  • Realized that street riding only instilled bad habits so any seat time gained was negated by improper techniques reinforced.
  • Needing to go faster and faster on the street to find the enjoyment I was getting at the track.
  • Riding 30 minutes to do 6 curves when one TD was 13 turns per lap with 19-20 laps per session with 5-6 sessions.

To make up for the urge to ride in between TDs we got involved in minis. Parking lot racing can be done every weekend for minimal cost and maximum fun.

Maybe if this was Colorado or California or some other place with lots of local twisties it would be different.

well put...i'm slowly starting to lean in this direction.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post

Spot on. Never thought about getting into minis, but I don't have a truck to haul around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I do trackdays about once every Month, maybe twice if Im lucky, I have a street bike and find it less amusing to even go out and have fun on it..Even not having to replace the plates or tape I still find it hard to get motivated to go play...I really just have my street bike just in CASE I choose to do a meet and greet and still find it hard to make those...I never thought I would ever be like this, but I have fallen into that trackday mentality...I have thought about converting my street bike into a trackday back up but without it being paid off I am hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket, but I guess only time will tell...putting the plates and the peeling the tape is not the reason i dont ride street..thats the east part, getting over the part not having fun and sitting in the sun HOT for minimal kicks is my mental
blockage
George, do you ever feel like you're loosing some of that "edge" inbetween TDs though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You meant lethargic and lazy. I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Get a motard for the street. We live in a city with no twisties and no hills. You don't need either to have fun on a motard. Save the sport bike for the track and the occasional long trip. Just .02 from a recent convert.
Man I started on HD's and would love to get another, but while I make plenty enough to do TDs, buying a tard isn't in the budget. Got some bigger purchases in mind the next two years. Would be pretty awesome to ride one of those though!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

I bought my R6 and rode for a few days in the street after I bought it, that is when I realized that Houston streets are BORING.

About 3 months after I do that bike, I did my first track day with a, now extinct, company named Texas Track Days. After that I lost the interest in riding the streets. I made my R6 a track bike.

At some point during 2009, I decided I wanted to ride street again, and as someone suggested, I bought a 'tard. That was a big mistake, I rode that bike 3 times in the street, I got two tickets. So I sold that sh*t and I do track only now.

As someone mentioned, if we were in Colorado or California, maybe I would still be riding the street but, since we are not, I prefer to ride the track only.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I would rather do TDs than hounded by the Police...I get my rocks off and its enough for me..As far as Racing I have no urge to Race...YET! I dont know when I will be ready to take Racing on but for now TDs once or twice a month get me off..I feel I get better understanding the bikes dynamics every trackday the only time Im shakey is when the season is over
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Once you air it out in third over some railroad tracks, rail some corners, slide it around in the dirt, wreck it, pick it up and dust it off only to realize there isn't any damage, hit up some jogging trails then look down at your watch and realize you've only been riding for an hour you will be hooked.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home

i took a ride to Louisiana a few months ago.

i used to love riding back roads fast... but i had no fun riding in rain with a helmet sheild full of bugs. watching mindless people text and mess with their phone while driving with a knee.

also riding for an hour or so to find a good road to ride on, only to find the police are already there. it's just not fun any more.

and maybe i'm getting old too
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

I just like riding the track WAY more than the street. Ever time I get on the street its and challenge of survival.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I enjoy street a lot, butI see how it's hard to really get the enjoymentof the track without being too "spirited"... I have been throwing around the Idea of getting a 250 for the street and keep my F4i as a track bike (it's beat up enough as it is)... Or maybe do it vice versa...

I dunno about giving the streets up for good, I really like meeting the new people and attempt to help them out here and there on somethings I've learned along the way (I know I have much to learn) from the advise a lot of really good and responsible riders have given me.

Track FTMFW... Everyone should do at least 1 TRACK DAY once you do it, you will know why it's worth it. And I'm working on helping people get there and get motivated to.

Just ask Renzo and Rykoson

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I never made a concrete decision to get off the streets. I had a 750 race bike and a 1000 for the street. I decided that I wanted to race the 1000 and what made the most sense was to sell the 750 and turn my 1000 into a race bike. That left me without a street bike.

I'll probably have another street bike at some point, but it will be a more upright sport / touring bike. I'm done doing 150+ on the backroads and those bikes are sorry for just crusing around. If I'm going to take in the fresh air and scenery then I am going to do it comfortably.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Once you air it out in third over some railroad tracks, rail some corners, slide it around in the dirt, wreck it, pick it up and dust it off only to realize there isn't any damage, hit up some jogging trails then look down at your watch and realize you've only been riding for an hour you will be hooked.
video please! 3rd gear on the 510 must range between 35-65mph. . .I would love to see you hitting railroad tracks and "air it out" at that speed.

My last street legal motorcycle was a KTM 525SMR. I can honestly say it was one of my favorite bikes to rip around town on and I still got bored with it on these damned Houston streets. I must agree with you though, riding a firebreathing motard through town raises the fun level and negates the need for "high speed runs" at the same time.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I never made a concrete decision to get off the streets. I had a 750 race bike and a 1000 for the street. I decided that I wanted to race the 1000 and what made the most sense was to sell the 750 and turn my 1000 into a race bike. That left me without a street bike.

I'll probably have another street bike at some point, but it will be a more upright sport / touring bike. I'm done doing 150+ on the backroads and those bikes are sorry for just crusing around. If I'm going to take in the fresh air and scenery then I am going to do it comfortably.
Im thinking HD for ME

Advertisement