Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread)

Here's the bill, HB-1571:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...2R&Bill=HB1571

Here's the members of the committee you need to contact:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/committ...420&session=82

Couple of emails other ppl have sent:
"Dear Mr. or Ms. , Please help pass Bill HB 1571 to allow responsible motorcycle commuters like myself to split lanes under heavy traffic congestion. Standing in very hot weather behind cars waiting for the traffic to move is in itself a health hazard. If passed this bill will make more people want to commute on a motorcycle which use much less gas than cars and trucks. Thanks for all your help!"

&

"As an avid member of the motorcycling community in Texas, I would urge you and the other members of the Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee to lend support for HB-1571. I feel this bill will enhance the safety of our motorcyclists by allowing them to legally 'lane split' and move out of traffic congestion experienced on our roadways. By moving from the back or middle of traffic lines, motorcyclists are able to increase their visibility to other drivers and are less apt to be hit from behind by an inattentive driver approaching stopped or slow moving traffic."

I'm personally all for it.

I'd hate to end up like this one day:
biker rearended 540x369
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

"Dear Mr. or Ms. , Please help pass Bill HB 1571 to allow responsible motorcycle commuters like myself to split lanes under heavy traffic congestion. Standing in very hot weather behind cars waiting for the traffic to move is in itself a health hazard. If passed this bill will make more people want to commute on a motorcycle which use much less gas than cars and trucks. Thanks for all your help!"

&

"As an avid member of the motorcycling community in Texas, I would urge you and the other members of the Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee to lend support for HB-1571. I feel this bill will enhance the safety of our motorcyclists by allowing them to legally 'lane split' and move out of traffic congestion experienced on our roadways. By moving from the back or middle of traffic lines, motorcyclists are able to increase their visibility to other drivers and are less apt to be hit from behind by an inattentive driver approaching stopped or slow moving traffic."

biker rearended 540x369
-Cody
could have selected a better screen-grab, that guy walked away unscratched.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Perhaps, but still doesn't look like a fun afternoon.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Perhaps, but still doesn't look like a fun afternoon.
rgr that.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
I'd still rather not chance...nor would I ever want to see my bike like that...
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Thats why I always stop with my bike pointed between the car in front of me and the one next to it. Never for the shoulder or sidewalk because thats where a car would turn to last second.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Thats why I always stop with my bike pointed between the car in front of me and the one next to it. Never for the shoulder or sidewalk because thats where a car would turn to last second.
this.

I aslo never go in neutral, I stay in first ready to take off, always looking in my mirror. When you're relaxed at the light with your hands on the tank is when they'll get ya.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Deebo
formerly known as v.viney

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

&

biker rearended 540x369
-Cody

Do I contact all the members?
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

been rear ended at a stop light by a car... not fun at all
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Just talked to Brooks in Representative Miller's office (Sid Miller is the author of the house bill). He says it hasn't been scheduled for a hearing in committee, which means it's basically languishing. We're coming up on the end of the legislative session in a hurry, so if nobody starts pushing to see something *done* with the bill, it's dead for another two years.

Brooks is a rider as well, and likes the idea of our having the *option* to lane share, if desired. He said he'd ask Rep Miller (whos'the committee chair) about the intentions for giving this bill a hearing.

If anyone else would like to chip in to nudge the powers that be to do more than just *file* the bill, I would encourage you to start with Rep Miller's office, since he is both the chair of the relevant committee and the bill's author. But calling all the committee members would be even better.

If you're not sure how to navigate the legislature's website to find all their phone numbers, holler.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
this.

I aslo never go in neutral, I stay in first ready to take off, always looking in my mirror. When you're relaxed at the light with your hands on the tank is when they'll get ya.
Those...

I'm always ready to go at the light, and my eyes are in the mirrors until the person behind me, and the person behind them stops...
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

i contacted the first 4, i will finish the rest when i get home from another 15 hour day
Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

I think lane-splitting is just ASKING for anther way to get fukked. Legal or not...I personally wouldn't do it. Not in Houston that's for sure.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
c2duevas
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 suzuki gsxr600
02 kawasaki zrx1200r - RIP
94 suzuki gsx600f - sold
07 cool sports 150 - wrecked
97 bmw 740il (cage)

Member Garage

User is banned

c2duevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Just talked to Brooks in Representative Miller's office (Sid Miller is the author of the house bill). He says it hasn't been scheduled for a hearing in committee, which means it's basically languishing. We're coming up on the end of the legislative session in a hurry, so if nobody starts pushing to see something *done* with the bill, it's dead for another two years.

Brooks is a rider as well, and likes the idea of our having the *option* to lane share, if desired. He said he'd ask Rep Miller (whos'the committee chair) about the intentions for giving this bill a hearing.

If anyone else would like to chip in to nudge the powers that be to do more than just *file* the bill, I would encourage you to start with Rep Miller's office, since he is both the chair of the relevant committee and the bill's author. But calling all the committee members would be even better.

If you're not sure how to navigate the legislature's website to find all their phone numbers, holler.
Thanks, I'd already sent several emails regarding this bill last year (or the year before, been a while) but this motivated me to send a coupe more. Let's hope for the best
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSims1868 View Post
I think lane-splitting is just ASKING for anther way to get fukked. Legal or not...I personally wouldn't do it. Not in Houston that's for sure.
If practiced responsibly, I could see how this could be extremely beneficial. I know personally, I would only use it when necessary and practice it responsibly, so that doesn't really worry me. What does, however, is going from something that's not allowed to being allowed, but most people not knowing about it, and imagining how stupid people would act when they saw you doing it not realizing that it's legal.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
If practiced responsibly, I could see how this could be extremely beneficial. I know personally, I would only use it when necessary and practice it responsibly, so that doesn't really worry me. What does, however, is going from something that's not allowed to being allowed, but most people not knowing about it, and imagining how stupid people would act when they saw you doing it not realizing that it's legal.
A whole lot of this. You know there's always going to be that one total son of a who's going to try and "best you" as he sees you coming up between cars, while he's parked on the freeway.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

tain't gonna happen, didn't the last xx times ain't gonna this one either. and doesn't need to

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
A whole lot of this. You know there's always going to be that one total son of a who's going to try and "best you" as he sees you coming up between cars, while he's parked on the freeway.
EXACTLY!! There are a lot of in this world and get them stuck on the freeway during rush hour and it takes on a whole new level of -ism.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

emailed

Advertisement