MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Tank Grips

I haven't ridden with them yet but I'm thinking about getting some.. i see lots of people swearing by them and also people saying that don't like to use them at all...

Do you like them? Why or why not?
Better grips??? Swat267 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-30-2011 10:17 AM
Driven grips Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 20 03-23-2009 01:54 PM
Looking to buy a Tank Bra - Protector Tank Cover NoFear Motorcycles Unlimited 4 10-02-2008 11:25 AM
Looking to buy a Tank Bra - Protector Tank Cover NoFear Gear Talk 26 10-23-2007 02:48 PM
GRIPS H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-04-2007 12:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

If i was an avid track day rider, i'd use them. I had a set that came with my old 600rr but i only rode street so i never used them or needed them.Makes it very easy to grip the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Ever seen a pro race bike with them?

Neither have I.

Consequentially, my thoughts on the matter are this: if you need them, you're doing something wrong.

EDIT: This is mostly in regards to track riding. If you have an older vtwin litre (no slipper) they might save your nuts riding on the street.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

I have some on mine, and they work great, especially when you are goin fast, they help keep your lower body from sliding back on the seat. I used skateboard top tap from board & ski, it was real cheap somewhere around $5 or $6 bucks, and you can choose what ever color you want.
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Wouldn't they hamper your ability to move around the bike cleanly at the track? I purchased a set and never put them on. Just looking at the knobs on them made me think of wearing a hole in my leathers.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Ever seen a pro race bike with them?

Neither have I.

Consequentially, my thoughts on the matter are this: if you need them, you're doing something wrong.

EDIT: This is mostly in regards to track riding. If you have an older vtwin litre (no slipper) they might save your nuts riding on the street.
Not true sir.. they help keep your knee's & legs planted on the tank w/o exerting alot of leg & muscel strain
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Wouldn't they hamper your ability to move around the bike cleanly at the track? I purchased a set and never put them on. Just looking at the knobs on them made me think of wearing a hole in my leathers.
If you on the track, you can still move aroung , you just moving from left to right, you only lock in on the straights, but I never had any issues.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerjunkie View Post
I have some on mine, and they work great, especially when you are goin fast, they help keep your lower body from sliding back on the seat.
thats more or less why i was looking at getting some.. i had issues keeping light on the bars and still keep my in the back of the seat when i got hard on the brakes, made it harder to set up with all that going on.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
thats more or less why i was looking at getting some.. i had issues keeping light on the bars and still keep my in the back of the seat when i got hard on the brakes, made it harder to set up with all that going on.
Exactly, I had that same problem, but not anymore. It helps when braking hard, and speeding in the straights, all u have to do is squeeze your knees in on the tank and you are not moving at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

So i wonder what some con's are then, i can't see how the wear on your leathers would be so excessive that you would not want to use them.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
So i wonder what some con's are then, i can't see how the wear on your leathers would be so excessive that you would not want to use them.
Well if you decide on Skateboard tape, the Cons are that yeah, you would need to wear some pants that you really dont care about, cause u will have a little wear on the inner thigh area, but if you buy the rubber tank grips which cost more about $50 you wont have that problem, it works just the same but w/o the wear on the clothing.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

ahh i didnt know there was the skateboard type, i thought they were all rubber. makes sense.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Not true sir.. they help keep your knee's & legs planted on the tank w/o exerting alot of leg & muscel strain
What's not true? That pro level racebikes don't have them? Cuz they don't. If the guys doing the most insane braking and accelerating don't feel they're necessary, then there's obviously something wrong with my technique if I feel I need them.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
What's not true? That pro level racebikes don't have them? Cuz they don't. If the guys doing the most insane braking and accelerating don't feel they're necessary, then there's obviously something wrong with my technique if I feel I need them.
! If the pro's are not using them then no one else should need them. Good thing you were here to point that out.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
! If the pro's are not using them then no one else should need them. Good thing you were here to point that out.
straight, screw those stupid things.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I think his point is that given proper body positioning and technique that you shouldn't need them. Furthermore it may become a crutch that will keep someone from progressing properly as they rely on the grips to bandaid a bad habit they should be trying to fix instead.

At least that's how it was explained to me by the instructors I respect.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
I think his point is that given proper body positioning and technique that you shouldn't need them. Furthermore it may become a crutch that will keep someone from progressing properly as they rely on the grips to bandaid a bad habit they should be trying to fix instead.

At least that's how it was explained to me by the instructors I respect.

This.

Although I'm too much of an to be that eloquent. Besides, I have a reputation for being a to uphold.

CMRA #302
Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Thats the pro racers, we are talking about the street, when u have on leathers , yeah they help with tank grip, but for the street, its different, most riders for the most part keep a clean bike, IDK about your bike but mine had a fresh paint job, and the clear coat was real slippery when I had on pants, and I needed that extra grip to be stable. Tank grip is up to the rider, I know for me it help in every way.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
This.

Although I'm too much of an to be that eloquent. Besides, I have a reputation for being a to uphold.
i got the idea, and you're still an so no worries.

Quote:
Thats the pro racers, we are talking about the street, when u have on leathers , yeah they help with tank grip, but for the street, its different, most riders for the most part keep a clean bike, IDK about your bike but mine had a fresh paint job, and the clear coat was real slippery when I had on pants, and I needed that extra grip to be stable. Tank grip is up to the rider, I know for me it help in every way.
i plan on using it for the track more than the street. i'm probably going to go ahead and get some until i can improve my form, its more of a crutch at this point to have such a difficult time to do what i know is right on setup and entry.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
as I said in my first post

Quote:

EDIT: But I'm interested in hearing a list of situations in which you think you need grip on the sides of the tank.

CMRA #302

Advertisement