MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Try them both before you purchase. The quality of both helmets is excellent in both brands, however, they fit different.

When I tried the Arai is just didn't feel right for me; then I tried the Shoei and it fits like a glove. I have heard stories about it being the other way too. So, before you buy any helmet, make sure to try it first.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoei RF1100 and arai corsair v price shsu1k WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 0 07-26-2015 03:53 AM
Shoei & Arai helmet controversy aznhero913 Gear Talk 0 07-14-2010 07:31 AM
Decent priced Arai corsair or shoei x11? kyu612 Gear Talk 2 05-29-2010 08:15 PM
Any recommended sites for an Arai or Shoei?? kyu612 Gear Talk 21 02-19-2009 08:00 PM
Shoei or Arai? cagixxer750 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-19-2007 04:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
1308cc
954 isn't a liter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage

I tried on almost everything they had at the dealer. I loved the way the Arai fit. The Shoei was nice too. My budget dictated the Scorpion and the Icon. I give the Arai an "A+" for fit, the Shoe an "A", the Icon a "B" and the Scorpion a "C+". This is for my weird shaped head. I also use a small.
1308cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by typehxr1 View Post
So I passed on buying a very expensive new truck and decided to upgrade my gear. I have longed for Arai and Shoei helmets but never see any mention of anti-fog shields. Has this been a deal-killer for any of you? I can't see having a high-end helmet w/out this feature. Do they actually have them? If not, I am leaning towards the Bell Star or new HJC 2010 Snell helmets.

Regarding the Bell Star--I was looking at the rally model in red and the wife said I'd look like a Power Ranger. Thoughts? My bike, jacket, boots, and gloves are black.

Thanks for the insight. I'd be looking at the Arai RX-Q or Shoei RF1100.
Both good helmets. Buy whatever fits better. that's a big step down from an expensive truck to a helmet. LOL. Kind of like saying, "I passed on buying a new helmet so I decided to get a pack of cigarettes." I kid I kid.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
I just rub some baby shampoo on the inside of my visor and it stays fog free...

Hope this helps.
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #25
081000rrKing

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Ducati 1198
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2008 CRF250R

It's been a while since I've had to buy a new helmet but I won't wear anything but an Arai from now on. I've owned almost every brand out there except for the newer up and comers. In my personal experience my Shoei's pads got too soft too fast and my helmet felt loose after 2 months, replaced the pads and the same thing happened again. I have had my Tommy Gun Arai RX-7 Corsair for 2.5 years and it fits like the day I bought it. And a little bit of Rain X anti fog knocks out all fogging of any helmet
081000rrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #26
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Im only a month into riding so I only know what I have--which is a Shoei helmet. I bought it brand new and by the 3rd week my helmet is already loose. So loose that when I turn to check my blind spots my helmet tugs! Even without turning when I was riding on windy Memorial Monday.....my helmet felt as if it was spinning on my head!
This is a helmet that I tried on for at least 10 mins at the store and it squished my cheeks so much that my lips puckered and my mouth was open. Aside from my cheeks being tight, my forehead and and head felt fine--snug. Im disappointed my Shoei didnt bring me as much satisfaction as I expected =/
(It was not the one on display, I asked them to get one from the back for me).

Let me know if you buy a shoei and your helmet gets noticeably loose within a short time frame as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 081000rrKing View Post
It's been a while since I've had to buy a new helmet but I won't wear anything but an Arai from now on. I've owned almost every brand out there except for the newer up and comers. In my personal experience my Shoei's pads got too soft too fast and my helmet felt loose after 2 months, replaced the pads and the same thing happened again. I have had my Tommy Gun Arai RX-7 Corsair for 2.5 years and it fits like the day I bought it. And a little bit of Rain X anti fog knocks out all fogging of any helmet
Im so glad someone else mentioned that their Shoei helmet pads got loose too. I was starting to think mine was defected or something.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Sweet, just got some email alerts this thread is still alive.

I ended up getting the Bell Star Rally in matte black w/the transition shield. I'm normally an XL and got a L. It fit snug on the first day, and still fits snug (but more form-fitting) today and it's been close to two months since I purchased it. The magnetic chin strap is nice, the transition shield is nice, and it is sooo stable at speed when turning around to make a potential lane change. I wear ear plugs now as it is loud but it's worth it for the increased air flow. In hindsight, I should have been wearing earplugs all along regardless of the helmet.

My only issue w/the helmet is that the matte finish is not as durable as a clear coat finish but it's sexy. I have been also eye balling the X-Twelve Shoya that is slated to be out in the coming weeks but don't know if I can justify the additional helmet.
typehxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
novajess1972
The Dark Side

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S (trouble maker)
2007 CBR600RR (current track)
2009 Repsol CBR1000RR (RIP)
2007 R1 (sold)/2004 GSXR 1000 (sold)
2002 R1 (RIP)/1998 R1 (stolen)

I have owned Shoei RF 1000s and RF 1100s my entire riding life. I always wanted to try Arai...just because I heard/read they are top dog.

Finally bought an Arai RX-Q a few weeks ago. I did back to back rides with the RF1100 and the RX-Q. I have to report that the Shoei simply didn't have the ventilation that the Aria did. I immediately noticed an improvement in airflow. It was a 90-95 degree day. The vents that are placed in the shield of the RX-Q is absolutely amazing. It channels air around my ears and cools wonderfully.

For years I figured there couldn't be much of a difference in Shoei and Arai but I am now sold on the RX-Q. Not that Shoei is a bad helmet b any stretch, but if I have a choice (which I do) I will be buying Arai from now on.

Also, the vents on the Shoei take more effort to open/close than on the Arai. It should be a simple affair, as it is on the Arai. Just something to consider. It may not matter to some, but I open/close mine many times during a ride depending on temps.

Hope this helps...
novajess1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #29
2_slow_5.0

I searched for a thread on helmets and glad I found this one. I have never been one for wearing a lid but with a wife, daughter and just finding out there is another on the way I think it is about time to switch to a good quality full face lid. Might look a little funny riding a chopper with a full face but not near as funny as if needing it and not having it.
2_slow_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #30
TexasCBR1000rr
Honda Rules

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 HONDA CBR 1000RR

Member Garage

i had a shoei rf1000 it was a good helmet it lasted almost 3 years, i just recently had the rf1100 but i wrecked with it and i really didnt like the rf110, i just recently bought an arai corsair v monster energy and i gotta say its the best helmet ive had and i can get an anti fog shield for it and change all the pads inside if need be
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_slow_5.0 View Post
I searched for a thread on helmets and glad I found this one. I have never been one for wearing a lid but with a wife, daughter and just finding out there is another on the way I think it is about time to switch to a good quality full face lid. Might look a little funny riding a chopper with a full face but not near as funny as if needing it and not having it.
Safety is cheap, comfort is expensive. Don't forget that helmet weight is an issue for longer rides.

www.webbikeworld.com has reviews of near every helmet produced.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement