MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy
 
Johnny77423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: racer's road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 385

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr






True or False - Riding between cars

My buddy got a ticket for performing an "illegal passing maneuver" because he was riding between cars that were stopped on the freeway... They nailed him as he was getting off the freeway (someone was actually nice enough to let him change lanes to exit... go figure... Anyway). I thought in Texas we could do this still (as long as traffic was moving less than a certain speed or stopped and it was on the highway/freeway)... Anybody know the skinny on this??? If you have a specific penal code number or other precedent case number it'd help (we're trying to build a defense so he doesn't have to pay the ticket, but he doesn't want to pay an attorney if it's already a done deal).

J
__________________
My life in 3 words...
Live, Laugh, and Love ...
Why??? Because my meds havn't worn off yet...
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RFID tags in Money-True or False Rykoson Off Topic 15 10-26-2012 08:06 AM
True of False, school bus loading/unloading urbanXJ Off Topic 16 05-06-2010 09:19 PM
true or false Homebrew Off Topic 16 03-05-2008 02:14 PM
True or false.... scrapp Off Topic 4 11-16-2006 10:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama
 
Perf_White_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,414

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3











No, lane splitting is only legal in california.


While we all lane split on occasion, it is still illegal when you get caught. Your friend did, so he is gonna have to pay up.... unfortunately.
__________________
"HATERS GON HATE" - FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT
Perf_White_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Gryphin
09 r1!
 
Gryphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 4,214

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)



Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Last I check this was only legal in Cali. and Ive read that brown book a few times
__________________
Quote:
We as riders know the risks we take everytime we put that kickstand up and twist the throttle.
Gryphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy
 
Johnny77423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: racer's road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 385

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr






Yeah, I finally found it on another website... the bill was posted twice in the house but died on the floor (like most good ideas)... 2005 and 2009. Oh well... guess he's taking the rider's course again... LOL.

Thanks for your input.

J
__________________
My life in 3 words...
Live, Laugh, and Love ...
Why??? Because my meds havn't worn off yet...
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
grsa
Senior Member
 
grsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Houston-Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,433

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie







Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
No, lane splitting is only legal in california.


While we all lane split on occasion, it is still illegal when you get caught. Your friend did, so he is gonna have to pay up.... unfortunately.
I would not have enough faith in people to lane split. More power to you if you do.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
timboslice
public punchin bag
 
timboslice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: paridise
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 160

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
A quick one









Its not illegal but its not legal either. There is no law against it, but unlike cali there is no law that protects it either, so it will pretty much be up to the cop who sees it. The majority of the time he is gonna ticket you and if he deems it reckless endangerment you are going to jail.
timboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
scheinertr9
Get a - job Al
 
scheinertr9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 483

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'09 Interceptor









i've only done this catching up with the group at some traffic lights when everyone is stopped. don't think i'd wanna try on the freeway even if it was legal. i was recently in Ventura and saw quite a few doing it.
__________________
i F65cXBN Th
scheinertr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy
 
Jaygermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: F*wood
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 441


Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike









I’ve split thousands of cars…..at one time.

It was the only way to get out during Hurricane Rita… what a mess, but I made good time.

I do every now and then but it's not my MO
__________________
TeXXass Jay

I hate rules
True or False - Riding between cars
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you can’t afford to lose it don’t go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~
 
gixxergirloh2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BAYTOWN on the eastside movin on up.........
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,914

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
No, lane splitting is only legal in california.


While we all lane split on occasion, it is still illegal when you get caught. Your friend did, so he is gonna have to pay up.... unfortunately.
__________________
MAN hold up....i got too much lean in my cup!!!
gixxergirloh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Vegas Kid
Senior Member
 
Vegas Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,916

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50








In CA you can do it because the cops can do it.

Not so much in TX...but I'd argue if I was on the freeway that there was ample space to make a lane change.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
KSims1868
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: League City, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 173

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG






Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
I would not have enough faith in people to lane split. More power to you if you do.
Me either!!
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,567

Experience: 10+ years











Bathhouses are illegal in CA.
Peacocks have the right to cross a road or driveway in CA.
No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60mph in CA.
You can't wear cowboy boots unless you own at least 2 cows in CA.
It's illegal to spit unless you are on a baseball diamond in CA.
You can't bring your dog to school in CA. (wonder if that means my ex too?)
You can't bowl on the sidewalk in CA.
It's illegal to plant a garden in any city street in CA.
For those of you who are geographiclly challenged - we're in TX
And in TX you will get nailed if you get caught lane splitting regardless of CA laws.
Also - FYI - don't pass on the right unless there is a lane clearly marked even if the road is double wide. There must be a marked lane meaning you must STOP behind a car turning left if they stop for oncoming traffic. That was a $180 lesson you just got for free and btw - it doesn't matter if it's 2:00am because the judge isn't gonna look at the 27 8X10 color glossy photos with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it was to be used as evidence against you.
Now go outside and play!!!
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy
 
Johnny77423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: racer's road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 385

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr






Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygermeister View Post
I’ve split thousands of cars…..at one time.

It was the only way to get out during Hurricane Rita… what a mess, but I made good time.

I do every now and then but it's not my MO


I bet that was funny as ... seeing all those off cagers stuck on I-10 while you went past...

I don't need ot lane split because I don't commute through houston, and out here it's all 2 lane blacktop... so I just pass if they're going to slow... one of the bene's to living in the sticks... just have to watch for tractors and farm animals... almost ran over a guniea this morning... there was a pack of them going accross 359 and one just STOPPED and looked at me... tried to go back the other way and the pickup coming the other direction ran it over... I at least tried to slow down for it... that guy just flattened it... there were feathers and guts everywhere...
__________________
My life in 3 words...
Live, Laugh, and Love ...
Why??? Because my meds havn't worn off yet...
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,567

Experience: 10+ years











Geographiclly? Sorry - I'm spelin chanlangd
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy
 
Johnny77423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: racer's road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 385

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr






Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post

Peacocks have the right to cross a road or driveway in CA.
That's funny... I almost hit a guinea this morning (they look a lot like peacocks for the uninformed, and folks around here keep them because they eat snakes)...

J
__________________
My life in 3 words...
Live, Laugh, and Love ...
Why??? Because my meds havn't worn off yet...
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Bathhouses are illegal in CA.
Peacocks have the right to cross a road or driveway in CA.
No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60mph in CA.
You can't wear cowboy boots unless you own at least 2 cows in CA.
It's illegal to spit unless you are on a baseball diamond in CA.
You can't bring your dog to school in CA. (wonder if that means my ex too?)
You can't bowl on the sidewalk in CA.
It's illegal to plant a garden in any city street in CA.
For those of you who are geographiclly challenged - we're in TX
And in TX you will get nailed if you get caught lane splitting regardless of CA laws.
Also - FYI - don't pass on the right unless there is a lane clearly marked even if the road is double wide. There must be a marked lane meaning you must STOP behind a car turning left if they stop for oncoming traffic. That was a $180 lesson you just got for free and btw - it doesn't matter if it's 2:00am because the judge isn't gonna look at the 27 8X10 color glossy photos with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it was to be used as evidence against you.
Now go outside and play!!!
Wonder how many people here caught the Arlo Guthrie reference...
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,567

Experience: 10+ years











Did I give away my age? Just waitin for it to come around on the guitar.
So What - Wheelies are still FUN, BUT - I think part of the reason I can still wheelie is because I haven't lane split at the "wrong time" . . . . can you say "luck"?
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
less_than_coop
SBN BMF
 
less_than_coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerr County
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,262

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf








Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Wonder how many people here caught the Arlo Guthrie reference...
...you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant....
__________________
"Faster, Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."--Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
sausagecreature

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul
 
kibitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,457

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)







sniff sniff

why does it all of a sudden smell like Metamucil up in here?
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
sniff sniff

why does it all of a sudden smell like Metamucil up in here?
Beats me...


Now if you had said Ben Gay or Polident...
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy