MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #41
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
166 at the wheel is more realistic
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthre...ight=2011+dyno
it will need at least a reflash to achieve what kawi engineers developed.
i'm thinking a leftover 2010 zx10 and the extra $4k in the pocket might be a beta deal
Yeah the HP ratings are all over the place, ranging as low as 160 up to 190hp before and after the recall. Kawasaki doesn't list an official HP rating on there website. From a few articles/videos I have read or saw, it has about 10 more hp than the 2010 ZX10r. The most significant thing, electronics aside, is that the bike isn't top heavy so it's flickable and smoother in the turns. It also comes with great equipment out of the box - titanium, open exhaust manifolds that should only require a slipon for weight reduction, great suspension, decent brakes, etc. This is really the only 1000cc I'd be interested in jumping the 600cc line over for.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 kawasaki zx10r mod darklineninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-17-2013 04:29 PM
2011 kawasaki zx10r exhaust darklineninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-18-2012 05:15 PM
ZX6R VS ZX10R cyberone28 Off Topic 23 04-03-2012 09:22 PM
2011 Kawasaki zx10r Se7eN73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 03-31-2012 10:47 AM
ZX6R or ZX10R Flying Scot General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 01-05-2010 03:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
They all have lower power mode. Its the throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Best post in this thread.

While the A,B,C modes can help, they are a crutch. Plus the bike automtically defaults to A mode everytime it's started.
What happens the one time you forget to put it in C and grab a handful of throttle. I'm with Blue, learn to use the throttle without any crutches.

The last thing is insurance. Liter bikes are MUCH more expensive than 600's to insure, especially full coverage. As cheap as you are you better be sitting down when you get your quote.
The reason the 'low power' setting is appealing to me is because while I have a fair comprehension of braking/shifting/cornering, a jump from a 70hp 650r to a 160+hp zx10r is significant. Also, 2cyl vs 4cyl, body positioning, etc. is all night and day different. I think the different power settings would allow me to taylor the bike to my experience with it. Throttle control obviously can do that but I don't want to trust throttle control on a bike and powerband I am unfamiliar with. My concern isn't straights...it's in and mid-corner.

I bring up the zx10r vs zx6r debate just as I did when I debated whether to get a 250r or 650r as my 1st bike, and I think I made a good choice on the 650r. I don't want to lose any learning oppurtunities by 'jumping' the line to a larger bike. 600cc should be the next step but the zx10r is so similar to a 600cc in low power, it provides a new option.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #43
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
For whatever it's worth, I currently pay $450/year @ $1k deductable for the 650r - Extended Liability and Uninsured Motorist with Allstate. I am 34 years old, have a clean record and have completed MSF so that's good, but I live in Galveston County (high in alcohol/motorcycle accidents) so that's bad.

Adding a ZX10r ABS with MSF and Multiple-Bike Coverage @ full coverage will raise my insurance to $3500/year! They are going to give me another quote where they will drop Uninsured Motorists and Extended Liability on both bikes, which should bring total coverage to $2700~/year.

The ZX6r is about $500 less/year.

I tried Geico and it was $3500/year just for the ZX10r alone.

Progressive doesn't insure trackdays from my understanding.
NEW QUOTE: $2500/year for both bikes $1k deductable with Allstate. Liability-only on the 650r and 'full coverage' on a zx10r. No uninsured motorists or extended liability. I will continue to work my magic on Allstate with the power of Brown lol
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #44
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Since we're all sharing, and because it sucks paying for insurance....

Me:
-30 years old, married, totaled my CBR600 two years ago.
-Homeowner's, personal articles (engagement ring), truck, car, Honda, and
Yamaha policies w/them.

I have full coverage except for uninsured motorist's (which is a crock coverage by the way). I pay $825 annually for my '09 Yamaha FZ6 and $1,125 annually for my '09 Honda CBR1k. That's $1,950 annually for both bikes.

For those who have/don't have State Farm and don't know....their rates are TOTALLY based off of engine CCs. For example, it was more expensive to insure my Vulcan 900 cruiser than it was a CBR600. I don't know how Allstate, Farmer's, Geico, etc formulate their rates, but SF goes off of CCs and Progressive goes off of bike classification. In the above example, I insured the Vulcan through Progressive and the CBR600 through State Farm. Even though I had only 1 policy through Progressive at the time, it was still cheaper to insure the Vulcan w/them than w/all my discounts at State Farm due to the larger engine.

In other words....State Farm is super sport friendly! Lastly, for me, the insurance was only $11 more per month for the CBR1000 over the CBR600. And this was after I totaled the 600. Love 'em, love em.!

Hope this helps.
typehxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement