Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Mesh Overpants

From what I've seen quite a few people wear mesh overpants for their commute, but no one ever mentions any specifics like make or model. I'm probably a little overly paranoid, but I like my skin so if anyone could make suggestions for good overpants let me know. I bought a pair of silver tour master venture air pants, but they are ugly as sin and returned them. I want something thats going to be cool in the summer, but also not be -ugly.

So in short the question is what mesh overpants do you wear and would you recommend them?
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overpants? Anwar Safety Corner Main 0 05-28-2011 07:55 PM
ICON AutoMag Leather Overpants morvegil Gear Talk 3 01-30-2009 09:11 AM
re did the headlight mesh Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 05-08-2008 06:23 PM
Mesh Jackets.... 100f Gear Talk 38 03-30-2008 08:22 PM
Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 Overpants logan5 Gear Talk 3 04-10-2007 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Mesh itself isn't gonna do much. It will get chewed up pretty quick when sliding. I personally don't wear leg protection other than denim, but a lot of people here wear knee & shin guards under their jeans. You can pick up a pair of those for about $30, and they will be much less likely to come off than the armor in a pair of flimsy mesh pants that will get ripped to shreds if you go sliding.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
I wear these:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...overpants.html

They're not perfect, but I like em.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Mesh itself isn't gonna do much. It will get chewed up pretty quick when sliding. I personally don't wear leg protection other than denim, but a lot of people here wear knee & shin guards under their jeans. You can pick up a pair of those for about $30, and they will be much less likely to come off than the armor in a pair of flimsy mesh pants that will get ripped to shreds if you go sliding.
those mesh pants will probably hold their own in a slide A LOT better than a pair of plain ol jeans..

dont know much about the kevlar jeans. but hey, ANY protection is a good start.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Prothos

Bike(s):
Huffy

I have a pair of Tourmaster Flex i wear they can be converted to mesh in real hot weather. Most of the time for trip to and from work i wear a pair of icon knee/shen gaurds.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

So I ended up getting a pair of Tour Master venture air pants. They have two zip out liners (water proof and insulated) and an outermesh with reinforced knees and as well as knee pads and hip pads. I took out the knee pads because I was afraid they would slide around in a crash and not actually cover my knee so I wear some A* knee and shin guards under my jeans. I like them a lot so far and seem like they really add a bit of abrasion resistance compared to just jeans. They are also extremely cool as long as your moving a little. They're kinda ugly, but hey so are skin grafts. I also tried on the A* air flow pants which look really really nice, but they just didn't feel as sturdy as these. Would definitely recommend the tour master venture airs to anyone looking for some mesh overpants.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
F4injected
aka juan?

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

Do the Tour Master pants have a full-length zipper? I'll most likely be wear these over shorts and boots and I don't want to take off my boots just to get out of my overpants.

Also, has anyone tried these Firstgear HT Air Overpants?
F4injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

You're gonna wear your boots with shorts?

That's one reason I quit looking into overpants or zip off pants... I'd have to carry regular shoes too (maybe flip flops under the seat).
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
F4injected
aka juan?

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
You're gonna wear your boots with shorts?

That's one reason I quit looking into overpants or zip off pants... I'd have to carry regular shoes too (maybe flip flops under the seat).
No, I can keep my tennis shoes at a locker at school/work.

If not overpants, what's your other solution?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post

I beg to differ...... I have a good friend who was going home on 225 @ 4am in the morning with mesh gear on. Hit a dog @ 70mph. Yeah he had some rash but it saved allot of his skin. So it WILL help in a slide, does it get chewed up? YES,, Does it help, straight it does. I saw his gear and his rashes when visiting him in the hospital.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4injected View Post
No, I can keep my tennis shoes at a locker at school/work.

If not overpants, what's your other solution?
Ah... when you wanted to not take off your boots It sounded like you'd ride somewhere, zip off the pants and wear your shorts with your boots.

And my solution would be knee/shin gaurds... but I see where you are going now.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
F4injected
aka juan?

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Ah... when you wanted to not take off your boots It sounded like you'd ride somewhere, zip off the pants and wear your shorts with your boots.

And my solution would be knee/shin gaurds... but I see where you are going now.
Yeah, I'll probably wear jeans and knee/shin guards + boots when I'm going for a ride, but when I'm at school, I'd like to wear overpants with shorts and boots and change out when I get to my locker.

Thinking about stopping by CycleGear to see if there are any I can try on.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Do the Tour Master pants have a full-length zipper? I'll most likely be wear these over shorts and boots and I don't want to take off my boots just to get out of my overpants.

Yeah they zip all the way up in the mesh layer. I wear my boots to work with jeans and just slip the overpants right off. They're really comfortable and I really think in a crash they would hold up a lot better than jeans.

Knee/Shin guards are good for protecting your knee/shins, but thats it. Any crash of significant speed in jeans even with knee/shin guards leaves your , thighs, hips, and calves very vulnerable to abrasions, IMO.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
F4injected
aka juan?

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
Yeah they zip all the way up in the mesh layer. I wear my boots to work with jeans and just slip the overpants right off. They're really comfortable and I really think in a crash they would hold up a lot better than jeans.

Knee/Shin guards are good for protecting your knee/shins, but thats it. Any crash of significant speed in jeans even with knee/shin guards leaves your , thighs, hips, and calves very vulnerable to abrasions, IMO.
Good info. So you've tried those specific overpants (Firstgear HT air)? So you would absolutely think they are worth the money at $229? Cause that's quite a bit of money for some pants...
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:

i have these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
older model and cheaper. i bought em about a month or two ago. the leg zips all the way down and the waist has some adjustment available via velcro straps. i can take the pants off over my bates boots
41E7Y7T06XL AA280

edit: i've never worn any other motorcycle pants (leather or textile). the nylon seems more abrasion resistant than jeans or skin though
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

I wear olympia moto sports airglide pants. Pretty cool, zips fully up the sides, has hip padding, heavier nylon in typical impact locations, and I got them for under $200, but I don't remember how much. The draw back for me is my abnormally long legs put the knee protection above my knees (even with the adjustments), so I took them out and wear knee/shin guards.

Motorcycles unlimited can order them and Gulf Coast BMW carries them in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
i can take the pants off over my bates boots
41E7Y7T06XL AA280
I was wearing my standard issue boots when I washed out the front tire braking in a turn (stupid I know). once I stopped I saw my foot was backwards under the bike (little to no ankle support). After hobbling around for a few months I bought some moto specific boots. Still those boots are waaaayy better than tennis shoes or flip flops.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

just to clarify, i never served. i just found factory 2nd bates boots for sale a few years ago and used them for motorcycle duty when i started riding

i thought i'll be screwed during any ankle twisting wreck, but they should definitely be better than tennis shoes
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
assless chaps FTMFW!
just make sure u slide front side down.. =P
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement