MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #81
yeraboof
( . v . )

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrwayne View Post
Last I checked this is just a "Blog". What's up up with all these "wanna be" grammer school teachers?! Get on a Kindergarden level forum and critique each other until your blue in the face if you "haters" got nothing better to do.

On a serious note: This issue is serious to me. And for those of you who can't relate, good for you. Maybe oneday when you become discriminated against you will take to a more sympathetic point of view. Until then life must be just green for you at the moment. Well that's great, but don't hate! Remember life is cyclical.

The facts of why I am so adamant on this. First of all, I get it. I understand that any employer has the right to choose hire or not hire whoever whom he feels is right and fit for a job. I'm not on here because I'm bitter that I didn't get hired for the record. Only because I feel I never got an honest decent fair shot.

Here's my true story: Like all of you, I really love HONDA. I mean I literally do. Yeah you could call me crazy obsessed whatever. It's my passion. Since I was a kid I dreamed of oneday working for Honda. so I took this Job opputunity and interview very seriously. I always imagined Honda environment to be as honorable as the brand and legacy itself. I was shock to find otherwise.

Here's what happened.

On my 2nd and 3rd interview, I arrive at 9:45am each time. And patiently wait for my interview which is at 10:00am. The manager then nonchalantly arrives 30 to 45 minutes late to interview. To me it shows a lack of professionalism. These are my impressions, but okay overlook this and carry forward. I expect what happens next to be an experience to embrace. Example I wanted to learn more about the company etc. What I see and hear is quite opposite. He (the manager) talks irrevellant off subject comments the whole time. I was so disappointed. I mean I looked up to this place. He was so blunt when he said he had hired this girl off the street because of her "looks". I was shocked! How unprofessional! I know it's not illegal to hire whoever he wants but come on! I'm here for an interview. Please be respectable. Then he does't want to hear what I can bring to this business. My assets, my valuable endless knoweledge and never ending constant study into the latest news and technology coming from Japan's Honda home.

Yes I know I'm young. I lack experience. the truth is he didn't have to hire me. But come on, I never even was given a fair chance from the word GO!
Please stop calling everyone "haters". That is one of the main reason these threads turn out like this.

Question: So the manager kept giving interviews for fun? I'm basically asking if the position you applied for had been filled prior to your 2nd and 3rd interviews.

And yes, if your story is accurate, then I agree that the manager acted in poor judgement. I would be upset as well. However, you must realize that you don't have much credibility on MH because of how you represent yourself in your posts. Horrendous spelling and grammar gives you an uneducated and unprofessional image. Remember, this is an online community. Most of us have never met you, so all we have to go on is what you type.
White peoples Micheal Jackson tonyt915 Off Topic 25 09-15-2009 03:49 PM
Micheal Novelle Pics. Mr. Unassailable General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-10-2008 03:48 PM
Micheal Jordan... 50cc chick Off Topic 8 04-17-2007 12:36 AM
HONDA SUPER CROSS PARTY TONIGHT @ Honda of Houston Drewston Events, Meets and Rides 3 02-09-2007 09:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #82
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Go apply at another Honda shop. I know bob lunsford honda has some ugly mother workin up there.. lol.. you wouldn't have to worry about being jealous over the fact that you don't have good looks or .

(i only say that becuase i know a bunch of them)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #83
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I've waitted MUCH longer for jobs I was hired on for. But yeah

"He was so blunt when he said he had hired this girl off the street because of her "looks". "

is pretty F up.... He should of kept that to himself
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #84
CodyGP

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post

"He was so blunt when he said he had hired this girl off the street because of her "looks". "

It's a sales position. That's just good business.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #85
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

If you had such a bad experience during the interview, why are you upset about not getting hired.

I wouldn't want to work at place like that if that was my experience.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #86
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post

While true... I know a TON of people who use pretty woman comments as common ground conversation. And, if she meets the needs of the position, then it'll work. If not, she'll get replaced... or he shot himself in the foot.

Oh, and the two sales people I talked to were men. One was AJ, who came close to selling me a NICE '09 650r. Anyone who's looking should try there... it was just last week.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #87
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

itbl?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #88
cbrwayne

Bike(s):
07 CBR600rr
08 CBR600rr

This is the most professional response and honest take on this whole blog. Thank you for sharing your idea. Respect it.

I guess what really irritated me most about the whole thing was not that I didn't get the job because someone else got it who was more skilled, more experienced, etc. But the fact that admittedly because of being just based on looks, , race.etc?

The truth is I'm not entirely surprised...I mean as a customer I was never shown the proper greeting and acknowledgement I felt that other motorcycle shop places do provide. And as a applicant I really saw the lack of professional structure in this Business. It's just a real shame to see the brand I love most be associated in poor judgement and mismanaged in such a "backwards" way. No wonder everyone around the rest of the world no longer respects and looks up to America. It's because of people like this who hold the power in corporate. I tell you oneday the tide will turn!
In some ways it already has.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #89
cbrwayne

Bike(s):
07 CBR600rr
08 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Sorry to hear about your job situation, when we were a small company we didnt have a HR dept. so i had to conduct the interviews myself, in my years of doing this i have encountered a few people in the same situation as you are right now, usually the problem is not "YOU".... the problem is other candidates trying to get the same job you applied for.

So far 4 people have called me after they found out that the position was given to another person instead of them and i gladly asked them to come and discuss the details of my selection process.

Most of the time, i pull out their resume and the other candidate's resume side by side and ask him to read it and use a green pen to check whenever he saw a "skill" or "experience" that was not on his resume. Most people go through the 4th or 5th checkpoints and give up. You see in our minds we are always doing the best that we can do but the truth is that they are many more capable people than we are and more suited for a certain position than we think we are, there is nothing about race, age or discrimination when it comes to hiring, most companies are looking for productive people who can be integrated into the company without having to invest too much time in training that potential candidate, in oder words..... the most skills & experience you have that is directly related to the position you are applying for, the better the chances you have of possible getting hired.

If you still think that their decision was mainly based on the color of your skin, then ask to speak to the HR manager and kindly ask him/her if you can see the resume of the guy that got the position you wanted, i am sure you will understand their decision after this process.

I know the economy sucks right now and job hunt and interviews are frustrating but maybe it's time to pick up some new skills that you dont have during this time in order to make your resume stand out from the pile of other resumes laying around.
This is the most professional response and honest take on this whole blog. Thank you for sharing your idea. Respect it.

I guess what really irritated me most about the whole thing was not that I didn't get the job because someone else got it who was more skilled, more experienced, etc. But the fact that admittedly because of being just based on looks, , race.etc?

The truth is I'm not entirely surprised...I mean as a customer I was never shown the proper greeting and acknowledgement I felt that other motorcycle shop places do provide. And as a applicant I really saw the lack of professional structure in this Business. It's just a real shame to see the brand I love most be associated in poor judgement and mismanaged in such a "backwards" way. No wonder everyone around the rest of the world no longer respects and looks up to America. It's because of people like this who hold the power in corporate. I tell you oneday the tide will turn!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #90
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

I didn't get a job as TX DPS Officer because I was white.

True story, they told me to try back 6 months later for the next academy because "they had enough white males."

Keep your head up and work on that resume. If it can get you in the door, your personality should just seal the deal. Best of luck!
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Old 04-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #91
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Maybe its an isolated incident, and just the one dealership? Corporate can't sit there and oversee the everyday goings-on at all of their dealerships. If everything checks out once in a while, they usually don't get bothered about anything.

Are there any other Honda dealerships you could try?
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #92
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Have you considered the chance that you just don't interview well? I have seen several threads about your inability to land a job past the interview step. I'm just saying before you bash people you may want to consider how many times you have mentioned this subject.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #93
cbrwayne

Bike(s):
07 CBR600rr
08 CBR600rr

This is about principle. I'm not doing this because I want this position anymore. Far from it. If you can't relate to my experience, then I guess you were never born to.
All struggles no matter in what degree, ultimately leads to greater success down the road. This experience will better me as a person. But for those who actively choose to discriminate and hate, you will have your day. It's called KARMA.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #94
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Here - http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=178318

Now move on with your life. Use those experiences to learn and try to do something different next time.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #95
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
I didn't get a job as TX DPS Officer because I was white.

True story, they told me to try back 6 months later for the next academy because "they had enough white males."

Keep your head up and work on that resume. If it can get you in the door, your personality should just seal the deal. Best of luck!
^^So true! White folks experience things like this all the time. This is actually one reason why I think racism still exists...among many others.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #96
yeraboof
( . v . )

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:

This should have been in your first post.

-----

And I definitely understand where you're coming from. I would be upset in that situation as well.

Quote:
He was so blunt when he said he had hired this girl off the street because of her "looks".
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #97
typehxr1
Gear Geek

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
This is about principle. I'm not doing this because I want this position anymore. Far from it. If you can't relate to my experience, then I guess you were never born to.
All struggles no matter in what degree, ultimately leads to greater success down the road. This experience will better me as a person. But for those who actively choose to discriminate and hate, you will have your day. It's called KARMA.
Quit using the word discriminate for Christ's sake. People swear using the "D" word is equivalent to a winning lottery ticket. Keep on with that attitude bro and your own ethnicity will think less of you.

Last edited by typehxr1; 04-08-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #98
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I'm not sure how you are so certain that you didn't get the job based on race or gender. It sounds to me like you have no clue why you didn't get the job and you're bitter about the experience you had there so your mind is going wild coming up with an explanation.

If it bothers you this much say something to the manager, then his boss and so forth. I will say this; I think the biggest hole in your theory is that you got a 2nd and 3rd interview. It seems to me that if he's not hiring someone b/c they are not the right race or gender he sure wouldn't waste his time hanging out w/them for 3 interviews...

If you really love the brand this much find another dealership and give it a shot, if this was enough to spoil it all for you then what does that tell ya?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #99
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
It's because of people like this who hold the power in corporate. I tell you oneday the tide will turn!
I really would like to see a further explanation on this comment.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #100
CodyGP

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR

Sounds like a bunch of ugly people hating on pretty people. Gah get over.
Closed Thread

Advertisement