MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
LRD
Kawi Green!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Question about starting to ride!

I would think this gets asked fairly frequently but couldnt really figure out what keywords to search it up with and the ones I used ended up with a bunch of random threads so, sorry for the repost (or link me )

Basically I'm trying to start riding (taking MSF and buying gear before the bike of course) but it seems all my family is against me riding. I want to know if you everyone has this problem and you just deal with it, or if you came to an understanding or how others solved this problem pretty much.

A little background on me, I'm 21, live at home go to school full time and work part time. I would be paying for everything of course, and already have a car for reliable transportation the bike would be more of a hobby.

Their excuses:

My brother (24) told me I better get life insurance before I do it.
My mom just has this idea that anyone on a bike will die in the street and therefore I will die if I get a bike. Regardless of gear apparently... And my father just said no dont do it, no reason given.

So any suggestions, questions or stories to share?
LRD is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STARTING QUESTION ? KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 11 03-11-2011 04:50 PM
Secret Forest Ride Saturday Dec 11 KSU 945-Moderate Ride Starting in Katy Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 32 12-12-2010 03:05 AM
Starting my 1000mi ride morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-21-2010 09:50 AM
Question about Roll Starting your Fuel Injected Bikes AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-28-2008 06:37 PM
Question about starting a Bike group? louisiana954 General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 11-13-2007 11:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I bought mine when I still lived under my parents roof. My mom was 100% against a bike, and told me I was not allowed to buy one while I was there. After a while she noticed I was always looking at protective gear, and was amazed at the prices. I explained to her that I know motorcycling is dangerous, but that I wanted to minimize the risks. After a few months she told me was comfortable with me buying one. I almost immediately went out and spent about $1,000 in gear to get ready. She would still rather me not have a bike(like most parents I'm sure) but fully supports it.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #3

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD View Post
My brother (24) told me I better get life insurance before I do it.
My mom just has this idea that anyone on a bike will die in the street and therefore I will die if I get a bike. Regardless of gear apparently... And my father just said no dont do it, no reason given.

So any suggestions, questions or stories to share?
Tell mom Elvis died on the crapper yet we still let people use it. There is also the fast food, beer, cigarettes, argument, yet I can still get my stuff supersized while I smoke in my car and drink a beer at the drive thru.

Just do it. I put it off for 20 years and am kicking myself now. It may also be easier to do if you don't live at home.

Also get your life insurance before you do any track days. They ask this silly question about racing cars or motorcycles. They also ask about scuba, skydiving, and piloting aeroplanes, not sure how those are related, I was under the impression that when I scuba dove it was pretty safe, and I would fly more put it costs too much to fill up the plane.
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Dont need life insurancr unless u have dependemts.

As for riding, it IS dangerous, we just minimize the risks.
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
Dont need life insurancr unless u have dependemts.

As for riding, it IS dangerous, we just minimize the risks.
Being human is dangerous, I don't know if you noticed it is kind of terminal...
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
level5
moving chicane

They have a valid points to be worry and scared for you. Riding is dangerous. It depends on you and your so called riding buddies. The risk or chance of getting hurt or kill is high for beginner rider. It goes down the more experience that you gained by that time, you will agreed with them. I am lucky to be here to tell you this. I know that I have been lucky many many times. Most riders or bikers will tell you that you can die just sitting on your porch. Well, if its time to go then you have no choice but riding is an increase risk. Hate to rain on your parade but just letting you know the truth about riding. Whatever you decide, my best wishes to you.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Donger

I think it also depends on who you're hanging out with.
Hopefully it's the mature crowd who only cruise, not doing crazy stunts/racing down the hwy-->probably your family members have bad experience with sportbike riders.
Life insurance is probably a smart move since you maybe a safe rider on the street but others are not. Just for the worst scenario, imo
Level5 talked me into the trackdays and I now regretted that why I didn't start earlier after he mentioned it. I gotta wait almost a year later to decide to do trackday. You'll enjoy it. Plus its a safer environment than the street, there is no driver who is texting and driving next to you, you slide to the grass instead of sliding straight to the concrete barrier, the only person who can slow you down is yourself, you're in control of your bike, there won't be speeding tickets nor cops.
Donger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Teach them how to wheelie down the freeway they will think you are awesome and buy you a new bike.

All kidding aside, The more you talk to them the more you bring up things the more you educate them the better off you are.

For instance most fatality happen w/o a helmet.

tell them you'll never ride w/o one.

ect.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Owning and operating a bike is not cheap, but if you've got the funds, go for it.
As far a safety, avoid intersections.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
LRD
Kawi Green!

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

at doing a wheelie..

To be honest, being a new rider is scary enough and I'm not looking to stunt or be doing 100+ down the freeway, or even the track for a good while. I just want to enjoy a nice ride and get comfortable on those two wheels first. I mean I WANT a 250 lol

I realize any riding is dangerous but as mentioned above anything can be dangerous. If anything were to happen to me down the road I'd rather say I lived life and did what I enjoyed instead than say "I wish I had done yada yada.."
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

move out. Their house Their rules.

You get one while still at home and NO ONE wants it at that house..IMO that will just cause issues with you and the family.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

likewise i also started out under my parents roof and paid for everything myself. i was pretty surprised how easyish it was for me to do so. mind you my parents are not the kind that let me do whatever or buy me everything etc... i rode home and they said "did u buy that?" i said "yep" they were like "ok"...
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

I got my first bike when I was 17. A 1983 Honda Nighthawk 550 that I got for free from an uncle.

I put in the time to get it running again, new tires, new battery, cleaned the carbs, etc. Got all my gear together, and my Mom and I actually took the MSF and got our licenses together.

For a sort of graduation present they got me a '94 ZX-11, and the proceeds from the sale of the Nighthawk went to my sister.

I've proven over the years that I'm a responsible kid, though. I've ALWAYS been truthful with them about everything, and had a lot of time driving powerful cars at a young age. I've been on dirtbikes and 4-wheelers since a young age as well. They know I respect my machines and stay within my boundaries, plus THEY grew up on bikes too, so they weren't too hesitant for me to swing a leg over.

But you can't deny the fact that its their house, so their rules. You can still begin to collect gear when you see a good deal, though.

One option may to get your dad and/or mom to take the MSF with you. They may like it so much they get themselves a bike?
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Rael
Communist Plant

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I would take your time with it. Let them get used to the idea and reinforce that you're doing it the right way. There is no getting around it, riding is dangerous. It is also worthwhile, so don't give up on it.

I didn't get my bike until after I had moved out of my parent's house. I still get reminded by my mom about the dangers of riding, but she is coming around. My wife is still nervous, but then again so am I every time I approach an intersection. A little nervousness to give your senses an edge is helpful.

Edit: Seconding the doing MSF with a parent. I did it with my dad, and it smoothed things over with him.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

It's funny. My wife used to be somewhat against me riding, but she just accepted it over time. She still worries about me, but now she wants a bike also.

The first thought that came to my mind was no. lol. What kinda hypocrite would I be if I didn't let her get a bike?

It's only natural for them to worry about you. I'm really nervous about my wife riding, but I know I'll get used to it.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
It's funny. My wife used to be somewhat against me riding, but she just accepted it over time. She still worries about me, but now she wants a bike also.

The first thought that came to my mind was no. lol. What kinda hypocrite would I be if I didn't let her get a bike?

It's only natural for them to worry about you. I'm really nervous about my wife riding, but I know I'll get used to it.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD View Post
at doing a wheelie..

To be honest, being a new rider is scary enough and I'm not looking to stunt or be doing 100+ down the freeway, or even the track for a good while. I just want to enjoy a nice ride and get comfortable on those two wheels first. I mean I WANT a 250 lol

I realize any riding is dangerous but as mentioned above anything can be dangerous. If anything were to happen to me down the road I'd rather say I lived life and did what I enjoyed instead than say "I wish I had done yada yada.."
Glad to see you are taking the decision seriously. It's not to be taken lightly. Make no mistake, this is a dangerous sport to some degree (see my signature below), but as has already been said - you can minimize this risk and stack the deck in your favor. Much like any other aspect of life. You have a passion - you already know what you're gonna do. Now do it as safely as possible.

I got my first street bike when I was 17. Dad helped me get it running. I've never looked back. Now I'm putting the people I love on 2 wheels... part of that is not easy. Everyone here has had at least a few close calls.

Consider this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...ginner_bikes_1

and this:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_spo...ginner_bikes_2

now gear up - have fun and prove them wrong with good judgement.

Have fun!
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

I'd also make sure your parents don't drive on 610/45S around 11pm on Wed and Thurs....

May not help your case ...
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
LRD
Kawi Green!

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

If all else fails I understand it's basically their house their rules so I'm kinda hoping it works out otherwise I'm screwed for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
One option may to get your dad and/or mom to take the MSF with you. They may like it so much they get themselves a bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
Seconding the doing MSF with a parent. I did it with my dad, and it smoothed things over with him.
I actually like this idea and I'm gonna try it in the summer! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
I'd also make sure your parents don't drive on 610/45S around 11pm on Wed and Thurs....

May not help your case ...
Sadly this is right around where I live
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

Well no matter what I can say you have gotten some solid advice here. You can advise them the smart decision you are making to get a 250 to learn on. I see so many guys start on 600-1000 or even a Busa.
Sit down and talk to them as an adult they will be blown away, state your case, show the proof of your wanting to be safe. I think it will work out. And yeah lilke they stated above see if you can get them to come to your class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement