MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #21
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stunna View Post
My truck is my daily but I ride whenever I can. I would still mostly likely have access to a vehicle when at home in houston (Im at college in Galveston). Since I only have a year of riding experience I figured that by just having a bike at school it would be fun and accelerate my learning curve by riding all the time.
It all depends on a mindset. Your truck is your daily, My bike is mine. I carry full range of gear with me at all times.

I do have a truck, but that only moves when I am going to a construction site ( maybe I should buy a motard for this ) or when I take my daughter to gymnastics.

Other than that I am on the bike....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

its a giant pain in the after a while.. its fun when the weather is nice... riding in the wind and/or the rain sucks, you'll want to get a rain suit and thats pretty lame but it'll keep you dry and you wont be getting sick every time it freakin rains.

i guess the problem is that you dont have any other option, you have to take the bike. even after a horrendous workout, epic rain, during a storm going to work, when you're super tired, to and from any social adgenda (rain or no rain), you can't transport friends around, you cant buy anything big without asking for help, grocery shopping is really frequent since you cant carry much...

theres a huge list of cons.....
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #23

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
i guess the problem is that you dont have any other option, you have to take the bike. even after a horrendous workout, epic rain, during a storm going to work, when you're super tired, to and from any social adgenda (rain or no rain), you can't transport friends around, you cant buy anything big without asking for help, grocery shopping is really frequent since you cant carry much...

theres a huge list of cons.....
You have plenty of options, your feet still work, public transportation (while it may be a joke in Houston if you put yourself in the correct place in town it is workable), your friends can transport you around, bicycle, you may even inspire some of your friends how much fun motorcycling is and they should get their own.

How much big stuff do you have to buy on a regular basis and could it be delivered by the store? It has been my exposure that most stores deliver wallyworld has a shipping option and anything from home depot can also be delivered.

With the proper gear you would be amazed at the amount of groceries you can carry. A decent back pack should be capable of carrying 40-50 lbs worth of stuff. I have been using a bag from Chrome for years and it can take two file boxes loaded.
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by #328 View Post
You have plenty of options, your feet still work, public transportation (while it may be a joke in Houston if you put yourself in the correct place in town it is workable),
sure, if you live in mid-town or downtown and are in walking distance of pretty much everything you need. not likely for anyone outside that area.

Quote:
your friends can transport you around, bicycle, you may even inspire some of your friends how much fun motorcycling is and they should get their own.
right, asking your friends to tote your around all the time is going to inspire them to get a bike like you.

Quote:
How much big stuff do you have to buy on a regular basis and could it be delivered by the store? It has been my exposure that most stores deliver wallyworld has a shipping option and anything from home depot can also be delivered.
, anything over 24 inches? a $10 lawn chair would have to be delivered. i buy or sell something that barely fits in my car at least once a week. paint? a BROOM? seriously.

Quote:
With the proper gear you would be amazed at the amount of groceries you can carry. A decent back pack should be capable of carrying 40-50 lbs worth of stuff. I have been using a bag from Chrome for years and it can take two file boxes loaded.
4 cans of soup, cereal box, half gallon milk, steaks, chicken, veggies and thats pretty much full capacity. weight is a problem with liquids like milk, juice, bottled water, beer, gatorade, wine, etc.. but also available real estate is a problem, lightweight groceries and that up space like cereal boxes, bread, eggs, etc.. can be problematic. not to mention that is weighing your down the whole ride back.

i made it work for about 6 months, its plenty feasible but IMO it isn't really worth the trouble.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #25

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
sure, if you live in mid-town or downtown and are in walking distance of pretty much everything you need. not likely for anyone outside that area.
I guess that is why they have bus stops and busses out side of the beltway, no one takes the bus.

Quote:
, anything over 24 inches? a $10 lawn chair would have to be delivered. i buy or sell something that barely fits in my car at least once a week. paint? a BROOM? seriously.
What are you driving a clown car or one of those rollerskate looking smart 4-2's if paint or a broom barely fit in your car...

Quote:
4 cans of soup, cereal box, half gallon milk, steaks, chicken, veggies and thats pretty much full capacity. weight is a problem with liquids like milk, juice, bottled water, beer, gatorade, wine, etc.. but also available real estate is a problem, lightweight groceries and that up space like cereal boxes, bread, eggs, etc.. can be problematic. not to mention that is weighing your down the whole ride back.
I must be doing it wrong, I can't remember the last time I bought, bottled water, cereal or the boxes containing, and chicken. I have managed to squeeze a 12 pack of beer, two bottles of wine, 6 cans of beans, box of rice, tortillas, bread, eggs, juice, shampoo, soap, fruits and veggies into a bag and take it home before.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #26
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by #328 View Post
I guess that is why they have bus stops and busses out side of the beltway, no one takes the bus.
i have yet to shake hands with a person that rides any form of public transportation in Houston and ive lived here for over 20 years.

Quote:
What are you driving a clown car or one of those rollerskate looking smart 4-2's if paint or a broom barely fit in your car...
paint and broom are examples of things not fitting in the backpack. pay attention. how the would paint not fit in any car?

Quote:
I must be doing it wrong, I can't remember the last time I bought, bottled water, cereal or the boxes containing, and chicken. I have managed to squeeze a 12 pack of beer, two bottles of wine, 6 cans of beans, box of rice, tortillas, bread, eggs, juice, shampoo, soap, fruits and veggies into a bag and take it home before.
definitely doing it wrong.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

Did it for about six months. My commute was only about 30 mins, but it really drained me after awhile.

There's no public transportation in the town I'm from. lol
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
georgesk

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2008 gsxr 600
2005 gsxr 600 (sold)
baja pulsar (india)
Honda Wave125 (philippines)

it gets old real quick, but if you do decide to rely on your bike as your sole transportation definitely need correct gear at all times and good saddle bags and or backpacks.
georgesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

rode over a year with a bike as sole mode of transport... It's doable there are downsides to it but if you like riding then it's not so bad..your gonna need some good friends for days when it's not an option to take the bike... I started on an Ex 250 then moved up to a 600... It's a big adjustment though going back to a cage and traffic after so long on the bike.
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #30

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
i have yet to shake hands with a person that rides any form of public transportation in Houston and ive lived here for over 20 years.

paint and broom are examples of things not fitting in the backpack. pay attention. how the would paint not fit in any car?

definitely doing it wrong.
Hands are dirty I try not to shake them either, and it looks like your location is Katy. I am unaware of Katy's public transportation options. I do know that there are park and ride's that run from the burbs (I am not sure if Katy qualifies as a burb or is it some other entity) into town and those lines are long at 5pm to cram back into the tube's to be chauffeured back out to the burbs.

I still don't understand how paint or a broom don't fit in a back pack. I was carrying a 1"x2"x6' on Monday so surely a broom would fit, and if a case of beer or two fits in a back pack shouldn't 3 or 4 cans of paint? I could try to use a six year olds dora the explorer back pack so nothing would fit in it, however it would look a little funny on me at a hair over 6' and a hair over 215lbs.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #31
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

So either you have a giant 6 ft backpack and look retarded or you have a giant piece of wood sticking up while you were riding, which would also look retarded.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #32

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
So either you have a giant 6 ft backpack and look retarded or you have a giant piece of wood sticking up while you were riding, which would also look retarded.
I was wearing my dora the explorer backpack. It is 6' tall and 215ish pounds. Do you have a list of any other things I shouldn't do to look retarded? I would hate to misrepresent motorcyclist's to the public and do something stupid giving all motorcyclists a bad name.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #33
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
It makes you not want to ride. Honestly I used to ride in anything, Now I don't ride anywhere unless I have a destination and it's perfect outside. Just makes it feel like transportation and not fun.
I done it for a while & it kind of took the fun out of riding my bike wehn it was my only transportation.
Riding on a weekend is different than commuting or running errands.
Since gas has gone up , I ride my bike to work more ,but come weekends , I find that I won't ride as much if I had ridden to wrk all week.
I have several vehicles in addtition to my bike & I am glad of that.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I did it for about 4 or 5 months. Just did it on my own for the first two and then my car went kaboom so I that added another few months. I really didn't mind it. My office was 5 miles away and when I went to school I had pole position parking. Just had a tail bag for rain gear. If it started to rain just pull over and gear up. Since I wasn't on the road too much I rarely got caught in a downpour. Really the only time I would have to tough it out was on my way to school. Any other time I could just pull over and chill out for a few until it died down. I was single with no kiddos at the time so I didn't care. Only time it sucked was for a couple of months during the summer. I had a pool at the time though so when I got home I would start peeling off clothes at the front door and dive in that naked. It sucked transitioning back to the car though and having to deal with traffic and parking at school. I still ride my bike if it isn't going to rain. I constantly have to jump my truck because it sits for so long that the battery dies.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I have once for about 3 months and it SUCKS big blue donkey . One night I had to pick up my GF at work at 2 AM and ride home in 19 degree weather and I forgot the spare helmet. She was wearing the Shoei and I had to wrap my long sleeve shirt around my head and I bought a cheap beanie at a gas station and shades that I put over all that.

All we had was the bike for both of us and it was no fun.

Not to mention all the rain, hail, you name it. Bikes are fun if you use them for fun.
If she didn't dump you after that ride, keep that one. Seriously.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #37
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
It all depends on a mindset. Your truck is your daily, My bike is mine. I carry full range of gear with me at all times.

I do have a truck, but that only moves when I am going to a construction site ( maybe I should buy a motard for this ) or when I take my daughter to gymnastics.

Other than that I am on the bike....
Same here man - well no truck, but a backup car.

I put 2000 miles on the car in the last year. Put 18K on the bike...
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #38
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stunna View Post
Has anyone on here only had a bike as their sole mode of transportation? How was it? Do the cons out weigh the benefits?

Depends on what you want.

If you are a rider who has to be geared up, its a chore, but WELL worth it.

95 percent of my driving since having a license has been a bike. So that's about 20 plus years seat time. It sucks, although, "education thru seat time" is well worth it.

Most notable things..

If you don't have a garage, lock it to something solid, with thich chain, alarm, and bike cover, EVERYTIME.

YOU CAN carry up to 5 full bags of groceries on a bike (sportbike). (One in overstuffed backpack, 2 on the back seat, one on the tank, and one on your lap

Expect to learn how to pack work clothes, and change at work (if you are a cubejockey, and don't live close by.

Expect to get wet
Expect to get cold
Expect to drop it once learning weather driving.
Expect to clean the bike/replace worn parts, a lot more frequently, depending where you are driving, and road conditions.

As soon as the bike is back together I plan on shelving the van, except for kid hauling duties. Akward as it seems, I feel safer in the wet on a bike, than I do in a car on the dry. (I may have a total of 2 years actual cage driving)

Nothing wrong with bike only , but it does make you plan in advance, a lot more. ALWAYS carry a minimalist amount of tools as well as basic first aid kit, tire repair.(if your commute is long) I haven't looked at the other posts yet, so this post may be redundant.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #39
GAU-8
official thread ender.

P.s.

Always carry rain gear. This is houston.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #40
ride-red
Monster

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 1000RR
04 VT1100C2
00 CBR929RR (SOLD)

I did it for about a year on a Honda 929 , my car decided to out and I absolutely refused to sell my bike.(Don’t judge me)
It was “fun” riding in the freezing rain and blistering summer.
ride-red is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement